66 in my case - I didn't do badly but still missed a lot.Take it that many of the correspondents on here, who have been able to travel along quite so many now closed lines, will necessarily be of a certain vintage?!
It helped that I started young.
66 in my case - I didn't do badly but still missed a lot.Take it that many of the correspondents on here, who have been able to travel along quite so many now closed lines, will necessarily be of a certain vintage?!
The pictures send shivers down my spine, it looked bitterly cold. It is a day that has fascinated me for a long time and I wonder if you can answer a few questions:Seven Sisters to Palace Gates (last train)
Balloch Pier station.
Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten Balloch Pier.Balloch Central-Balloch Pier
Only if diverted - as I was in 1982 to get round a blazing tanker train (presumably a similar flow to the one that had fun in Summit Tunnel a few years later.Good call on the Red Bank line. Would calder valley line trains have gone that way?
If Miniature lines are being counted I must include Tommy Mann's Express which operated in the grounds of the New Brighton Tower along the front at New Brighton - was a balloon loop line a mix between narrow gauge and minature. Closed when I was around 5 or 6.Gaerwen to Amlwch many times!
Bangor to Pwllheli via Afon Wen (Yes, I do know that Bangor and Pwllheli stations are both still open!)
Colwyn Bay seafront miniature railway.
This line and the Jubilee line Green Park to Charing Cross are both closed for passengers but the track is still in situ and occasionally used for filming.Holborn to Aldwych
As somebody born in '95 and raised in Sussex, I feel at a distinct disadvantage in this discussion. The only lines I was likely to have travelled on that have closed are Newhaven Marine and possibly the Thameslink Moorgate branch, I think. Neither of those I did, as we always went by car on the ferry and I never had any reason to go to Moorgate from south of the river (and I'd probably have used the tube to do so if I had).Take it that many of the correspondents on here, who have been able to travel along quite so many now closed lines, will necessarily be of a certain vintage?!
Just remembered -
Yarmouth Beach to North Walsham
It must have in the early 1950’s when we stayed in a caravan alongside the railway at Caister-on-Sea from where we used the train to visit the Broads and also to back into Yarmouth.You jammy person ! I have very warm feelings for the M&GN "Joint"; having known parts of it in childhood -- but mostly missed out on its more easterly reaches. Would your covering Yarmouth Beach -- North Walsham have involved by any chance, the working which ran in the M&GN's last years -- originating / terminating Liverpool Street: taking ex-GER trackage to Norwich and North Walsham; M&GN thence to Yarmouth Beach -- primary objective, serving the various coastal holiday camps north of Great Yarmouth?
If we are going to that level of detail (and my view is no!) then I claim the old platform 10 at Kings Cross and the old platform 1 at Peterborough. I could even claim the old platform 10 at Liverpool Street, which wasn't where platform 10 is now. I expect there are other such examples.Liverpool Street to Ilford platform 5
Another I'd forgotten.Barkston East to Barkston South