1997 had if I recall correctly:
1tph NorthWest Express Blackpool N-Airport
1tph NorthWest Express Barrow/Windermere-Airport (carrying an XC 158 portion 2-3 times a day) - split/join at Bolton with the Barrow/Windermere running via Westhoughton and Wigan
1tph stopping Blackpool North-Manchester Pic-somewhere I forget
1tph Southport-Chester (approximately, I seem to recall it was a slightly odd not quite hourly frequency)
1tph Clitheroe-Victoria
There was a peak extra Southport-Vic but that was via Atherton (the Kirkby forming the other Atherton per hour, and possibly one starting at Wallgate, I forget).
Today there's two more - add in the TPE Scotland-Airport. The Southport-Vic also runs all day via Bolton rather than Atherton as it did in 1997.
I forget which one did Farnworth/Kearsley/Clifton/Moses Gate - I have a feeling it was the Clitheroe. Today it appears to be the Southport-Vic.
(sorry, corrected)
Looking at the WTT (from Network Rail) the services were as follows. Times at Salford Crescent.
xx00 to Blackpool North, stopping (ex Buxton)
xx06 Wigan Wallgate via Atherton (skip-stop, ex Rochdale)
xx/11 to Barrow etc (non-stopping, ex Airport)
xx23 to Blackpool North, limited-stop (ex Airport)
xx26 to Clitheroe (ex Victoria)
xx30 to Southport (ex Chester)
xx36 to Kirkby via Atherton
xx49 to Bolton, calling at the intermediate stations (ex Shaw and Crompton). All other services run non-stop to Bolton.
Timing loads were DMU(S) (15x) for most services, except the Atherton line, the Bolton terminators and a small number of peak Blackburn terminators, which were DMU(A) (14x). The latter would align with my memory of using a 142 back from Entwistle; there was a 1733 service which sounds about right.
Furthermore it looked like Entwistle had no off-peak service at all.