PhilipF
Member
Why don't you read a book or a newspaper, or would that be tantamount to "living in a cave"![]()
Think that is awful when on a train, I'm always viewing out the window, always something fresh to see.
Why don't you read a book or a newspaper, or would that be tantamount to "living in a cave"![]()
Think that is awful when on a train, I'm always viewing out the window, always something fresh to see.
GWR's part-time seasons in Devon and Cornwall, limited to particular days of the week.
SWT's labelling of "Quiet Coach" on the exterior doors.
And LM's reasonable turn-up-and-go fares!
Actually, another one for LM - publishing formation length in the timetable (albeit for some reason only in the pocket excerpt ones and not in the main one). Very useful when selecting a train.
Example: http://www.londonmidland.com/download/114195.9/northampton-euston/
Must admit that while I don't know if this was one of his ideas, David Whitley introduced a number of very passenger-friendly initiatives to LM during his time there.
OH AND MAYBE A SCREWDRIVER FOR THE RATTLY 170S?
My greatest issue with PlusBus that you have to acquire your tickets at a railway station, even if you're starting your journey by bus. Some co-operation on that front would be welcome.PlusBus and encouraging links to 'non-railway' places come straight to mind. I do wish, however, that such schemes could be led on occasion by 'others'. It always seems to come from the railway budget but could just as easily come from bus company, council or anyone else's budget.
Built in Derby, maintained in Tyseley... There'll be a cold day in hell before those rattles disappear!![]()
My greatest issue with PlusBus that you have to acquire your tickets at a railway station, even if you're starting your journey by bus. Some co-operation on that front would be welcome.
SWT has uncompromisingly persisted with the quiet coach for years. I was pleasantly surprised to find a quiet coach on four car commuter trains. The signage clearly prohibits the use of headphones
I knew of the peak time loading statistics they published but not of this, which is a very, very nice feature. Other TOCs would do well to replicate it.
XC in particular has little excuse not to co-operate with other TOCs at, for example, Manchester Piccadilly, Birmingham New Street, Edinburgh Waverley and Sheffield.
To be quite honest, I would love to go and live in a cave and read books! The telly is rubbish, the news is propaganda and modern life is rubbish! Unfortunately, we get swept along in this new world where instant access to information is at the utmost importance to some people whether that be for work or leisure purposes so a decent access to the web does become the be all and end all. Me personally, I can take it or leave it.
The dirtiest trains around if your journey is a Northern one around the North East, those stickers are a total joke. Get the Scotrail unit on the through Glasgow/Stranraer services on the Tyne Valley and see what a clean train looks like.Northern's 'how do I look' stickers are a good way of reporting cleanliness issues dealt with
I like Northern's stickers on the exterior of some of their fleet advising where the appropriate bicycle/wheelchair spaces are. Very smart!
One thing I would like to see more off (and this especially goes for Virgin Trains (West Coast) since I don't think they do this any more) is more named trains. I don't mean more specific units/locomotives that are named, I mean more train services that are named (e.g. Flying Scotsman, Golden Hind, Bristolian, etc)
So, any other aspect of a TOCs product, service, policy or practice that should be done elsewhere? It can be anything.
The picture does, but the text doesn't confirm it, suggesting it is fine to use them if they are not audible to others.
Only have day-to-day experience of SWT and Southeastern but would love SE to adopt SWT's practice of adding train lengths to the scrolling platform displays. Not earth-shattering but would just help in a small way.
Northern Rail's day rangers are an excellent way of encouraging leisure travel and getting people out and about and seeing the country. They have a fine heritage going back to Network SouthEast's network days. Other TOC's could learn a thing or two.
I would like Scotrail to have 1st class carriages.
What, have they been withdrawn ?
Most of the primary routes do convey 1st Class , indeed on some of the secondary ones it is free as the trains are not supposed to have it.
It would be good for MtoGo style ticket offices and first to last staffing to spread beyond Merseyside.
That's true, but I don't consider inaudible headphones to be antisocial, and I'm sure you are of the same mind.
Any chance of the extra 'p' in "coppied" being removed from the thread's title?
This seems a nice gesture unless there's a catch in it somewhere.
www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126328
When Scotrail Get The HSTs they should have more conventional first class carriages from what i have seenMaybe he means there isn't enough of it, as it never takes up a whole car.