• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cletus's travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Love this sub-forum, although I didn't go to the SVR diesel gala :lol: Here's my 1st basic trip report.



Taking advantage of the Virgin East Coast Hot Cakes sale I decided to have a day out.

Purchased my £5 each way tickets online for Kings Cross to Newark North Gate on Friday for the following day.

Saturday morning drove down to Dover Priory for the 0749 to St Pancras. All 395’s are dud for me.

Left Dover late due to some random platform alterations, but that didn’t matter because I had an hour to wait in London. Used my Tesco/RSH vouchers to reduce the cost of the Dover-London ticket.

Booked on the 10.03 to Leeds arriving at Newark North Gate a few minutes late. Didn’t get the 91 I was on, my request on the forum has gone unanswered. :(

Class 91 on
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...06/03/advanced
King's Cross - Leeds 10.03am 03/06/17 1D09

Then took a quick stroll across town to Newark Castle for a winning 156 to Matlock. Jumped off at Carlton and walked into Nottingham firstly alongside the railway, then up over the hill through a nice middle-class area, then down to Nottingham station.

Didn’t have too much time so bought a return to Beeston.

Returning to Nottingham I awaited the next service which was non-stop to Newark Castle.

Whilst in the area I has three winning 156's - 156404, 156406 and one other, plus 170398 for haulage. Also two EMT 153's for sight and my last EMT 158 for sight.

Had a mooch around Newark then boarded my booked train a Leeds service (bonus hst's) back to London arriving 7 minutes early!

Could only ID one HST on this service though
Class 43 that wasn't 43296 on
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...06/03/advanced
Leeds - Kings Cross 2.45pm 1A36
Which meant a bit of extra M&S food shopping time before the 1737 St Pancras back to Dover Priory and home.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Welcome to the boddy of the Kirk of trip reporting.

Nice little day out there, I need to tackle EMT's local network so apitite now wetted.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A good first report there. I can't help with your missing 91 but the missing HST is 43272.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Sounded like a good day, I hope the weather was as nice in Nottingham as it was in Wiltshire for your walk from Carlton :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
Welcome to the trip reporting community! Glad your trip was successful, and as for the 91 request sometimes you need to be patient, it will hopefully get answered soon :)

Jealous of the HS1 action mind, been too long since I went on a 395!
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Welcome to the trip writers club.
Fingers crossed you find out what the 91 was.
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
26/08/17

To continue this thread, although I'm missing out other days out.

This day started on the 0749 from Dover Priory to St Pancras on a dud 395 ( they all are). Down the escalator then up another one onto a winning 222015 to take me to Derby where I purchased a Derbyshire Wayfarer which was a normal sized ticket inserted into a slightly bigger plastic wallet.

Next up was a quick trip to Long Eaton to meet the Matlock train. Took this to Cromford where I took a nice canal walk to Whatstandwell From there a train to Ambergate where I took a not-so-nice-walk along the A6 to Belper . From Belper I travelled to Matlock Bath and then walked to Matlock along the A6, then along the riverbank into the town. Whilst waiting to depart Matlock a Peak Rail service arrived with 44008 leading. My 1st 40 for sight (out of 2?).

From Matlock I returned to Derby for the 1742 to Crewe, where I exited from Peartree and walked back to Derby city centre to my Premier Inn.

Through the day I travelled on winning 153311, 153310. 153326 156408

27/08/17

This day, I went from Derby to Long Eaton again to meet a Matlock service today a doubled up 153, this time on 153381 to Duffield where I had a nice walk around the village, visiting the meagre remains of the castle to await the returning 153's back to Derby. from there I took a winning 221136 to Chesterfield to await a winning 222 to Sheffield. saw my last 144 for sight there - 144008

From there I took another winning 222 (it was a 2x222 service)back to St Pancras. 222015 & 222017 were the two in and out of Sheffield. (I don't count multiple train when doubled/tripled-up unless I've travelled on them).

Then HS1 home.

Across the two days I also saw 56038, 56060, 56077, 67027, 08417, 37611, 97302, 97303, 97304, 950001(?), 73961, 73962. 68016. 68029 mainly at Derby and Leicester, also spotting a few winning 700's whilst in london.
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Sounded like a good trip to Derbyshire (bar the walking on the main road if it didn't have a pavement) :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
950001 is correct, it's a 150-shaped NR test train :)

I still need Belper as well as Whatsandwell and Peartree. A good day out for sure :)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Indeed, glad to read you stayed in a PI,been to many Travelodge stays on this part of the forum lately.
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
01/09/17
Made the trip up from Dover Priory on a diverted Waterloo 1658 service Friday evening on board 375827 and then moving along to 375803. Managed to spot my final 375 - 375925 just outside Ashford too which was a bonus. Arrived into Waterloo 5 minutes early too!

Stayed at the East Croydon Premier inn overnight. So, from Waterloo made a few leaps bagged 2 455's and a 377.

02/09/17
Just a travelcard day mooching around London.
East Croydon-Streatham Common-Clapham Junction-Shepherds Bush-East Acton bagging a winning 455 and a 378. Spotted my last 377/2 at CLJ.

Took a walk past Old Oak to see what I could see, which was mainly a huge queue to get in :lol: Onto the canal towpath back to Westbourne Park, then to Paddington.

Next bonus was boarding 360202 my last Heathrow Connect 360 to West Ealing, stroll to Castle Bar Park to meet a winning 165128 to Drayton Park and then walked back to West Ealing to meet 360202 (again) back to Paddington.

After 2 trips past couldn't see much at OOC (2 red Westerns?) and 3 800's opposite.

Nothing exciting to follow; Paddington-High Street Kensington, walked to Kensington Olympia-Clapham Junction-Wandsworth Road, walked along to Clapham High Street-Denmark Hill-Victoria-Vauxhall-Waterloo. Picked some winners along the way 378135, 378231 465247, 455750

From Waterloo I walked over the Hungerford Bridge past an empty Charing Cross, along the Strand to Temple to catch a Circle Line train to Cannon Street and my 1643 train home made up of two dud 377/7's arriving back in Dover on time.


Not particularly detailed (no PNB's mentioned), but you get the idea :lol:
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
16/09/17

So, a little trip to Manchester. 0749 from Dover Priory to St Pancras, then up the road for the 0940 from Euston on a winning 390009 to Stockport spotting a couple of 66’s in London and also 37069 (for the life of me can’t remember where though!)

Bought Wayfarers for Saturday and Sunday, then boarded an all-round winner in 156487 to Chapel-En-Le-Frith. From there took the hour walk across the valley to Chinley for a short wait for a winner in 142055 to Strines. Walked down from the station in the rain & then way up onto the canal towpath to walk to Marple, a nice walk. From there re-joined 142055 on it’s return to Sheffield carrying me to Edale. Another short wait to pick up 142001 all the way to Piccadilly.

Onto the trams to Etihaad Campus, walking a little way back to Holt Town and eventually to Victoria. From there picked up a dud 150 to Ashton-Under-Lyne to meet a Wigan service, a dud 156 this time to the one-train-each-way-a-day-station of Clifton. A 25 minute walk to Swinton, not the nicest part of Manchester but not unsafe.

Winner 142004 took me back to Victoria, from where I walked through the Saturday evening crowds to Piccadilly. Waited for half an hour on platform 13 above the Star & Garter pub listening to the very good heavy metal band below. A dud 323 took me Heald Green and the Premier Inn there.

17/09/17

A hotel at the end of a runway means waking up early, but no use to me as I was walking to Styal to meet winning 323228 to Wilmslow and then a dud 323 to Piccadilly. Then back to the trams on the Bury line to claim Radcliffe and Whitefield, has a quick walk around the outside of the ELR, but couldn’t ID the two 37 or 40’s/shunters in the distance.

Made my way back to Piccadilly to meet the 1315 on a dud 390 back to Euston. Helpfully arrived 5 minutes early coupled with the Dover trains starting from St Pancras 5 minutes later today meant I could get an earlier train than my advance ticket, so got home an hour earlier than planned.
 
Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Couple of Saturday's out.

23/09/17

Up to Guiseley for the football on this day with a group of friends.

Bonus of HST's 43300 and winning 43302 to Leeds, a few beers, then winning 333002 to Guiseley for a not-so-winning game of football ending 1-1.

A dud 333 took us back to Leeds, although spotted two new 150's and three new 142's leaving a couple to find of each, although many to travel in.

A winning 91103 to us back to London on the 1815 for a few more beers then a 395 home. An added bonus was not being on the 1915 with the Dover Athletic team who were caught up in that night's problems.

30/09/17

Today was just a mooch around London.

A few winners for haulage - 700041, 700046, 700026, 315805, 365532 Every 313 a dud :roll: (need 12 of them)

No new stations, but spotted a winning EMT HST 43059 (2 left to see) and my last two GC HST's 43480 & 43467.

Also saw at St Pancras 374029 (+374030?), which is the newest set?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,853
Location
West of Andover
Good news with more entries into your book of sights :)

And lucky you didn't get caught up with the VTEC issues
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top