• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cleethorpes to Grimsby re-doubling, how feasible would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeTrainboy

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2024
Messages
51
Location
NE Lincs
CONTEXT: The line between Cleethorpes & Grimsby Town was singled in 1985, with a passing loop (now barely used) 250 yards south of Grimsby Docks.
This layout has caused a number of pathing issues, limiting the number of services able to use Cleethorpes.

What I was wondering was how reasonable would it be to re-double it, the only *major* issues I can think of is:
1: The 3 bridges over Doughty Road, Peaks Parkway & Ellis Way,
2: Whether or not a double Fish Dock Road curve would be too sharp to meet modern requirements,
3: Space at Grimsby Docks for an up platform.
Apart from those 3 issues, the alignment is there, even the new Suggits Lane bridge was built with space for an extra track.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grimsby town

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2011
Messages
867
CONTEXT: The line between Cleethorpes & Grimsby Town was singled in 1985, with a passing loop (now barely used) 250 yards south of Grimsby Docks.
This layout has caused a number of pathing issues, limiting the number of services able to use Cleethorpes.

What I was wondering was how reasonable would it be to re-double it, the only *major* issues I can think of is:
1: The 3 bridges over Doughty Road, Peaks Parkway & Ellis Way,
2: Whether or not a double Fish Dock Road curve would be too sharp to meet modern requirements,
3: Space at Grimsby Docks for an up platform.
Apart from those 3 issues, the alignment is there, even the new Suggits Lane bridge was built with space for an extra track.
Realistically, I don't think the whole line we be redoubled because, as you point out, there are a lot of potential expensive changes that need making between the docks and Grimsby Town.

With the Lincoln being extended to Cleethorpes, the single track section will have to accommodate 2tph every hour, which is achievable. However, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the Lincoln train will become hourly and there'll be a couple of trains a day to London. At that point something will need doing to improve capacity and ensure enough resilience for late running.

I think a realistic solution would be to double from Cleethorpes to around New Clee which would reduce the single track running by a couple of minutes. Personally I'd close both Grimsby Docks and New Clee and build a new station around Murray Street to provide better access to the proposed redevelopments in that area.
 

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2018
Messages
2,642
Location
Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire
Realistically, I don't think the whole line we be redoubled because, as you point out, there are a lot of potential expensive changes that need making between the docks and Grimsby Town.

With the Lincoln being extended to Cleethorpes, the single track section will have to accommodate 2tph every hour, which is achievable. However, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the Lincoln train will become hourly and there'll be a couple of trains a day to London. At that point something will need doing to improve capacity and ensure enough resilience for late running.

I think a realistic solution would be to double from Cleethorpes to around New Clee which would reduce the single track running by a couple of minutes. Personally I'd close both Grimsby Docks and New Clee and build a new station around Murray Street to provide better access to the proposed redevelopments in that area.

Network Rail also made passive provision for redoubling around where the new bridge was bridge to replace a flat crossing.

A new station would be likely if they ever redoubled the line if it involved work at New Clee or Grimsby Docks
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
With the Lincoln being extended to Cleethorpes, the single track section will have to accommodate 2tph every hour, which is achievable. However, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the Lincoln train will become hourly and there'll be a couple of trains a day to London. At that point something will need doing to improve capacity and ensure enough resilience for late running
No doubt if the EMR is running late it will end up sent into the bay platform at Grimsby Town rather than going to Cleethorpes.

But can Cleethorpes cope with extra trains or will a 5th platform be needed :lol:
 

DM352

Member
Joined
9 Oct 2019
Messages
290
Location
White north
It would not be cheap. My 5c is the three single track bridges would need rebuilding and two of these being would need dual span abutments. The eastern one appeared replaced double to single according to streetview since 2009 as the old one looked very rusty.

I cannot tell if Grimsby Docks is an extend out over one trackbed or the land opposite was sold where the other platform was. Just looks narrow.

1985 era indeed seemed to be the time of singling and other "efficiencies" like single lead junctions and that was 40 years ago!
 

GiT™

Member
Joined
13 May 2020
Messages
19
Location
Grimsby

Watching that... Nope. I would say a loop just after New Clee (Cleethorpes side) would be an idea as a passing place.
 

Chrius56000

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
262
Location
Walsall
. . .I've been watching the Barton–On–Humber Railmart Video and a thought has just occurred to me!

. . .I think Oxmarsh Crossing S.B.is a B.R. era box – can anyone suggest why it didn't get an E.R. Blue Enamelled Nameplate ? – (Tweedmouth got a Tangerine North Eastern Region one when it was commissioned in 1961!)
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,042
Location
Up the creek
. . .I've been watching the Barton–On–Humber Railmart Video and a thought has just occurred to me!

. . .I think Oxmarsh Crossing S.B.is a B.R. era box – can anyone suggest why it didn't get an E.R. Blue Enamelled Nameplate ? – (Tweedmouth got a Tangerine North Eastern Region one when it was commissioned in 1961!)

The one it has appears to be the standard type for this design of signal box. Possibly the North Eastern Region had a different policy.
 

SomeTrainboy

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2024
Messages
51
Location
NE Lincs
. . .I've been watching the Barton–On–Humber Railmart Video and a thought has just occurred to me!

. . .I think Oxmarsh Crossing S.B.is a B.R. era box – can anyone suggest why it didn't get an E.R. Blue Enamelled Nameplate ? – (Tweedmouth got a Tangerine North Eastern Region one when it was commissioned in 1961!)
If I remember correctly oxmarsh crossing was built around the original lever frame after something happened to the original, so they might've borrowed the original name board aswell.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top