• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cleared fine but would like to complain and seek refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

44567grundhund

New Member
Joined
18 Jan 2026
Messages
3
Location
United Kingdom
I had travelled from Euston to Coventry without a valid ticket. I was actively suffering from severe depression during this time and have very poor memory of things.

However, when I called WMR to explain that I was a student and I wouldn’t be able to pay as I also do not have much support or help from my family they didn’t help me. I had avoided the ticket as well as letters as I couldn’t afford it, until it had been sent to IRCAS and they have been increasing the fine since then. I called them to let them also know, I was trying to communicate with West Midlands that I haven’t got the funds at this moment. This was after a few months. They offered to let me pay £60.. and I wouldn’t have to make any payments for 6 months. I said I don’t think I could get £60 today, when do I have to get that money together. They said I only have until the end of the day as it’s going to be sending collectors out next making in £200 more. I plead with her that I would try my hardest to find the money. However I was not able to find the money to pay. From that call until now, I have anxiously been awaiting debt collectors to come to my mums property for this ticket.

Today I cleared my debt it was £800.

I’m looking to find any grounds to least claim back some of those funds.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Acathater

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2025
Messages
761
Location
NorthWest
Do you still have copies of any correspondence between you, WMR and IRCAS?
Was there a court involved - what happened there?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,362
I had travelled from Euston to Coventry without a valid ticket. I was actively suffering from severe depression during this time and have very poor memory of things.

However, when I called WMR to explain that I was a student and I wouldn’t be able to pay as I also do not have much support or help from my family they didn’t help me. I had avoided the ticket as well as letters as I couldn’t afford it, until it had been sent to IRCAS and they have been increasing the fine since then. I called them to let them also know, I was trying to communicate with West Midlands that I haven’t got the funds at this moment. This was after a few months. They offered to let me pay £60.. and I wouldn’t have to make any payments for 6 months. I said I don’t think I could get £60 today, when do I have to get that money together. They said I only have until the end of the day as it’s going to be sending collectors out next making in £200 more. I plead with her that I would try my hardest to find the money. However I was not able to find the money to pay. From that call until now, I have anxiously been awaiting debt collectors to come to my mums property for this ticket.

Today I cleared my debt it was £800.

I’m looking to find any grounds to least claim back some of those funds.
Was this something that originally started out as a Penalty Fare? Or something they usually call eg a ‘report for investigation’ or ‘travel irregularity report’

We need to know what this involved to see if you have any options.

Do you have the original letters associated with this?

Did it go to court?

Sorry to hear of your mental health difficulties, you have my sympathy.

I don’t want to give you false hope however as it may be very difficult to get any if this reduced or refunded at this stage.

More generally have you tried to any financial help from your university or college hardship fund ref your general financial circumstances? That might be worth a try.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
Echoing the above, I’m sorry to hear about what has happened, and at least it’s sorted now, albeit at great expense. I agree that it may be difficult or impossible to get any of this back, but if you can answer the questions that have been asked we can do our best to help.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
On what grounds do you believe you're entitled to claim any of this back? On the face of it, you asked for help from WMT who gave you reduced settlement and time to pay, what more can be reasonably expected from them?

They're not in the business off just cancelling debt because someone is having health problems (unless genuinely the sole cause of any indiscretion) or simply cannot afford or everyone would claim such.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,657
Location
LBK
I had travelled from Euston to Coventry without a valid ticket. I was actively suffering from severe depression during this time and have very poor memory of things.

However, when I called WMR to explain that I was a student and I wouldn’t be able to pay as I also do not have much support or help from my family they didn’t help me. I had avoided the ticket as well as letters as I couldn’t afford it, until it had been sent to IRCAS and they have been increasing the fine since then. I called them to let them also know, I was trying to communicate with West Midlands that I haven’t got the funds at this moment. This was after a few months. They offered to let me pay £60.. and I wouldn’t have to make any payments for 6 months. I said I don’t think I could get £60 today, when do I have to get that money together. They said I only have until the end of the day as it’s going to be sending collectors out next making in £200 more. I plead with her that I would try my hardest to find the money. However I was not able to find the money to pay. From that call until now, I have anxiously been awaiting debt collectors to come to my mums property for this ticket.

Today I cleared my debt it was £800.

I’m looking to find any grounds to least claim back some of those funds.
Let's start with some basics. What grounds do you think you have?

Please post, in the thread, all pieces of correspondence sent and received with your personal details removed so we can see what's been going on.
 

44567grundhund

New Member
Joined
18 Jan 2026
Messages
3
Location
United Kingdom
Do you still have copies of any correspondence between you, WMR and IRCAS?
Was there a court involved - what happened there?
Hello,

I only have a few letters, I unfortunately do not have all of the original documents and I do not have the best timeline of events, which is my mistake.

I have a letter from WMR stating that due to non payment they are passing my case to prosecutions department and they offered a settlement offer of £205 and pay within 14 days. I have a IRCAS penalty fee letter.

IRCAS have mainly been texting my to pay.

My mental health was really quite bad around this time and I have medical evidence for this too. Which is why I have such a fragmented timeline and not much letters.

To answer some other questions I have seen here too. I would like to appeal or complain on the grounds that I did not have money to pay for this fine and I tried to reach out to explain so and I was not really given a chance.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
To answer some other questions I have seen here too. I would like to appeal or complain on the grounds that I did not have money to pay for this fine and I tried to reach out to explain so and I was not really given a chance.
In your original post you said they offered installments, payment at a later date and a reduced settlement fee. How is this not giving you a chance to pay?

It seems they've been extremely flexible compared to many cases we see where anything other than full payment within 14 days can see the case escalated to court.

I would not envisage complaining on the grounds you didn't have the money to pay would get you anything other than 'well don't do the crime then' type answer.
 

44567grundhund

New Member
Joined
18 Jan 2026
Messages
3
Location
United Kingdom
In your original post you said they offered installments, payment at a later date and a reduced settlement fee. How is this not giving you a chance to pay?

It seems they've been extremely flexible compared to many cases we see where anything other than full payment within 14 days can see the case escalated to court.

I would not envisage complaining on the grounds you didn't have the money to pay would get you anything other than 'well don't do the crime then' type answer.
Hello,

I do not believe I said they offered an instalment plan. They offered for me to pay £60 on the day, to make an instalment plan to which I said I didn’t have the money for on that day.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Hello,

I do not believe I said they offered an instalment plan. They offered for me to pay £60 on the day, to make an instalment plan to which I said I didn’t have the money for on that day.
Thanks for clarifying, clearly I misinterpreted your post
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,657
Location
LBK
Hello,

I do not believe I said they offered an instalment plan. They offered for me to pay £60 on the day, to make an instalment plan to which I said I didn’t have the money for on that day.
We really need to know exactly what has happened. List out what has happened, with dates, and upload as much correspondence as you can. Unless there is a procedural mishap though, you've no chance of recouping any money, which you presumably paid to avoid being prosecuted. It is, to be blunt, not their concern that you have no money if you are accused of criminal offences.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,362
Hello,

I only have a few letters, I unfortunately do not have all of the original documents and I do not have the best timeline of events, which is my mistake.

I have a letter from WMR stating that due to non payment they are passing my case to prosecutions department and they offered a settlement offer of £205 and pay within 14 days. I have a IRCAS penalty fee letter.

IRCAS have mainly been texting my to pay.

My mental health was really quite bad around this time and I have medical evidence for this too. Which is why I have such a fragmented timeline and not much letters.

To answer some other questions I have seen here too. I would like to appeal or complain on the grounds that I did not have money to pay for this fine and I tried to reach out to explain so and I was not really given a chance.
I think there are various places you could complain to but I’m not sure those complaints would result in any money back.

I think they would say your chance to explain your mitigation was when you were first contacted and you didn’t take that chance.
But I do understand at that time you were too ill to engage in that.

But we really need to know what sanction they put on you (not the sum of money but what the sum of money was for).

Was this a Penalty Fare?

Or
the other option they use which is to threaten prosecution in court

And

Did it go to court?

Please answer these questions. If you do not know please say you do not know.

Sorry to press you but this is vital to know.
 

Acathater

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2025
Messages
761
Location
NorthWest
Hello,

I only have a few letters, I unfortunately do not have all of the original documents and I do not have the best timeline of events, which is my mistake.

I have a letter from WMR stating that due to non payment they are passing my case to prosecutions department and they offered a settlement offer of £205 and pay within 14 days. I have a IRCAS penalty fee letter.

IRCAS have mainly been texting my to pay.

My mental health was really quite bad around this time and I have medical evidence for this too. Which is why I have such a fragmented timeline and not much letters.

To answer some other questions I have seen here too. I would like to appeal or complain on the grounds that I did not have money to pay for this fine and I tried to reach out to explain so and I was not really given a chance.
Can you please scan and upload the documents you DO have, with any identifying details (names, case numbers) blacked out
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,362
Hello,

I do not believe I said they offered an instalment plan. They offered for me to pay £60 on the day, to make an instalment plan to which I said I didn’t have the money for on that day.

People here will be happy to try and work with you to see what options are and advise you on what, if any, prospects there are for you to get any of the money you have paid refunded. I'm sorry to read of how much you have had to pay to resolve this and I suspect it escalated costs wise whilst you were unwell and were not in a good position to try to tackle it.

It might help you to know a bit more about the sanctions railway companies can use when people do not have the correct ticket. Two things typically happen - the consequences of each one are different and how things play out is different so I hope this explains things.

You can see lots of examples of both of these things in other threads on the forum, including ones involving WMR

Route One: A Penalty Fare.
A Penalty Fare can be given by certain approved staff on the day you are stopped. They are £100 + the costs of the correct fare, and the £100 is reduced to £50 if paid promptly. They have a statutory right of Appeal which can be done within 21 days of the date of the Appeal. You would have been given a Penalty Fare notice on the train with details of how to pay it or how to appeal it.
These are typically the 'least worst' outcome if travelling without a valid ticket (apart from being verbally warned by a member of staff and effectively 'let off' I suppose)
Payment within the set time, or a valid Appeal upheld, concludes the matter.

If you do not pay the Penalty Fare in the set period of time then the matter escalates and the railway company would take you to court for non payment. the sum would escalate as a result of that I'm sure as costs etc get added on.

Route Two: Reported for Investigation
The staff member takes your name and address (or obtains these details from scanning your ticket) and passes this to the back office Revenue Protection team to investigate. They write or e-mail you about what happened and typically ask you to pay for the ticket you have not bought (or a correct one) plus and 'admin fee' to cover those costs of this follow up work, or they may ask you to explain what happened before they consider further action.

Those letters will typically make it clear that if you do not engage with them they will consider prosecuting you for travel without a valid ticket.

If the staff suspect deliberate evasion (as opposed to a ticketing mistake) - it is more likely that they will take your details and report it for investigation.

You would then get a letter or e-mail some time later as outlined, about the event.

This would be your chance to reply with mitigating circumstances and offer to resolve the matter without them prosecuting you. If they agree (they usually do) this is essentially an 'out of court settlement offer'.

Perhaps when you rang WMR they regarded that as a request to settle the matter and they offered to do so if you paid them £60, which I appreciate you were unable to afford to do.

If you don't respond or don't pay them the process almost always just escalates to magistrates court prosecution where people are typically found guilty since travel without a ticket is a criminal offence in England.

The court would then issue a fine (the punishment for the offence) plus a victim surcharge plus costs of the railway company for taking the matter to court. There would also be a criminal record of the conviction. In the great scheme of things this is a fairly minor conviction.

If the correct court paperwork is completed then the court fine is related to your income, and court fines can be paid in installments. This is all dealt with by the court - not the railway company.

It then becomes the courts responsibility to collect the money owed (fines etc) - and if it is not paid it's handed over to Court Bailiffs to do that. They are ultimately pretty good at obtaining the money owed.

I hope the above helps explain the process to you. Some or all of this you may already know of course.

This is why people here want to see the paperwork (or whatever of it you can conveniently share) in order to understand which of these routes happened, what happened when and where things are now at. Anything you can do to clarify things will help people here offer you realistic advice on any options that might remain available.

You could also go to your college / student union advice centre or maybe your local CAB if you would prefer help and advice from them as I'm sure they would indicate of they could help at all.

Furthermore

If this helps at all - below is a copy of the standard advice often given to people when they first come to the forum asking what to expect when they have been stopped for travel without a correct ticket - clearly you are beyond this stage but it may help you for context - had you had a chance to seek advice here earlier on this would have been the sort of thing you could have done to minimise the impact (financially or otherwise):



Firstly, you committed a criminal offence by travelling with an invalid ticket and railway companies are entitled to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court if they want to. The good news is they will normally offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate with them and who haven't come to their attention before.

Next, what happens is the railway company will write to you. The letter will go to the address that you gave them / on any of your ID they checked so you need to be able to access hard copy post at that address as they often send things that way (but also check e-mail and spam). It is extremely important that you reply, and you'll only have a limited time to do so (often 14 days from the date on their communication).

When you receive the letter post a redacted copy of it in this thread, along with your draft reply and forum members will proof read it for you. You'll find lots of example letters you can use in this section of the forum but the reply basically needs to mention:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident and will not do this again
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the railway company’s administrative costs in dealing with the matter

The railway will probably offer you an out of court settlement. Expect to have to pay the cost of the fare for the journey you made at the full Anytime rate with no credit given for the invalid ticket you purchased. In addition they will charge an admin fee, typically £150. They will also audit your online ticket purchase history and if this shows you've purchased other tickets that were not valid (eg railcard discounted tickets when you did not have a valid railcard, or tickets for only part of the journey, or tickets bought after boarding the train you travelled on ) they will probably factor the cost of these journeys into the settlement offer. Depending on how many journeys you've made over the period concerned this could end up being expensive.

Settlements usually have to be paid in full within a few days of them being offered so if money is tight you might want to think about how you will raise the sum required at short notice.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top