• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clear all the fussing which PC do you like the best?

MTU or Valenta or both or none

  • MTU PC

    Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Valenta PC / PAxman

    Votes: 20 52.6%
  • None of them

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Both

    Votes: 8 21.1%

  • Total voters
    38
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJC_158

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2006
Messages
124
Location
Melksham
nope not me either, after travelling on one all the way to inverness and back on them- was awesome!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,490
Location
Wick
Wheres notch 2!!!!

Next to Notch 1 and 3!8)
If driven properly an MTU will put a Valenta to shame in 'weakness'

Only just
I do suspect that certain people only say Valenta because they're scared what people will say if they don't go with the flow, which is pretty sad.

Personally I prefer MTUs because there's less froth over them. Valentas don't sound particularly pleasant. An awful scream but no grunt or anything is just boring. Just because they are loud it doesn't make them hellfire...

Awaits flames from the Spineless Brigade ;)

But if your not in Coach A or H you can't hear a bloody MTU!
Thankfully I don't really have to travel with FGW much :D

Lucky bugger:lol:
 

don24

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2006
Messages
45
I have been following this thing with VP185s/Valenta Vs MTU. To be honest I much prefer MTU's because they were there to increase the HST's life. They are cleaner and much more quiet. Definately a plus for residents who have to hear screams almost 24hrs everyday. I get annoyed with people who don't like change. Get used to it, change happens
 

Ascot

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2005
Messages
3,381
Location
Birmingham, UK
well i voted for none of them.

one sounds like a girl i knew at night
and the other sounds like a banshee

They get everyone from a-b so what's the hard on you get over a screamy thingy?

If you want a real mans noise go to RAF Lakenheath and have a blast of a few F-15s then compare it to your beloved Valenties. :roll:

Can't beat the steam though i have to admit, apart from the look but the atmosphere of the life style is great, i'm sure there's a few i know on here can back me up. :D

Not as good as the 444, 442 handbag throwin you lot did before, that was legendary talking to a few lads down on the Valley :D
 

Sir_Clagalot

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2007
Messages
853
If we're talking aircraft noise, the Vulcan wins hands down ! :D
Valentas are the ones, and you will still be able to hear them on the Durham Coast & ECML thanks to GC.
 

Jord

Member
Joined
21 Jun 2007
Messages
1,180
Location
Aberdeenshire
I do prefer Valenta's but greatful for the MTU being as they are keeping the HSTs in service for longer :D
 

Redrock

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2007
Messages
5
Location
Kimberley Notts
There doesn't seem much doubt that The MTU is a better engine, but i have to admit I'll miss the whistling roar of the old valenta's
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
I picked Valenta, however I accept that MTUs are the only way to keep the HSTs going for a few more years, at least they stay in service!

Jordy
 

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,736
I couldn't care less what powercar it is. Provided it gets me from A to B that's all I care about.
 

5872

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Messages
2,277
Location
A6-EHF
This hasn't been updated in yonks :lol:, with all of FGW Valentas gone, and GC/EMT/and Natex with them left who knows!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'm amazed how this one escaped my attention last year when it came into play.

The poll shows clearly how much good taste some forum members have, although I'm not going to flame anyone for liking MTUs (I don't like to anyway, but I'm in a good mood at this time so definately not flaming!). They are keeping the legendary HST in service, without them we'd be a bit stuffed by now. Indeed, it is highly likely that by the time the HSTs are removed from service totally, we'll all be singing the praises of the MTU as HST2 comes into play and none of us can stand it.

However, I must discuss Dave's comment about how the MTU gives off a manly throb than a girly scream from a Valenta. It is wise to remember that the scream isn't from the engine itself totally, the kick-ass turbocharger does a lot of the screaming when it kicks in. Also worth remembering that the Valenta-fitted power cars have much larger, manly turbochargers than those baby things in an MTU-fitted power car...;)

Never got to sample the Mirlees ones but I am informed a pair of them went like s**t off a shovel. As for people preferring MTUs to VP185s, I cannot fathom that one. VP185s are great too, a lot of the MML (sorry, EMT) ones are quite enjoyable. The FGW ones I wasn't so keen on, but when you had the Valenta in 43192 (truely one of THE best ones in the final few months) and then went onto 43170, the difference was incredible.

All this talk about Valentas is opening the floodgates and a torrent of memories is coming back, so excuse me...
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
An MTU's still an HST, of course. Still better than many things out there!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Indeed so, which is why I'm still doing the HSTs. I'm less interested now, mind, but I vowed to get a 1,000 on all of the power cars (how I'll get 43013/014/062 I have no idea, one day perhaps...) in 2005 and I am not backing down from that any time soon! Cleared a handful thus far and I'm working my way through the rest gradually!
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
The poll shows clearly how much good taste some forum members have,

Yep; at least ten of us who have been bothered to enter the poll have retained our sanity without sucumbing to the usual "they are being replaced so must be good even though two seconds ago we couldn't have cared less" gibber. :roll:

MTU all the way for me, the sooner the whole fleet is done, the better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top