• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clear all the fussing which PC do you like the best?

MTU or Valenta or both or none

  • MTU PC

    Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Valenta PC / PAxman

    Votes: 20 52.6%
  • None of them

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Both

    Votes: 8 21.1%

  • Total voters
    38
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

5872

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Messages
2,277
Location
A6-EHF
To see what everyones general opinion is like and too clear a few annoyed people:?:| , which do you like the best?


Fred.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
How about a link to a video of each starting off from the same station, then we can compare?
I'll reserve judgement until I've compared them, although weren't there also other types of engines fitted?
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I say both, because Valentas sound better but MTUs create less noise pollution.
 

5872

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Messages
2,277
Location
A6-EHF
MTU:

[youtube]PdZblClwsTY[/youtube]


Valenta

[youtube]pJF_euXyxTU[/youtube]


Enjoy:grin:.



Fred
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Found what I was after, here are the four engines

Paxman Valenta 12RP200L 2250hp
Paxman 12VP185 2700hp
Mirrlees Blackstone MB190 2400hp (1987 - 1996)
MTU 4000 2700hp
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,714
Location
London
MTUs are better power units although I much prefer the Valentas. Prefer an MTU to a VP185 though!
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
I'll have you know I voted MTU. Not a particular HST fan anyway, thus if its better for the environment it wins for me, rather than how noisy it is.

JS
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Now who's going to shoot me? ;) I voted for MTU as well ....

Why????

A MTU has a proper manly throbbing, not a girly scream :shock: :oops: :lol:
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,466
Location
Cambridge
To be frank, an 8 car meridian is still probably more global warming contributing than 2 Valentas! :roll:
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,714
Location
London
Fred you could have done an MTU justice by not posting a Bristol Driver at their best. Wheres notch 2!!!!
 

5872

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Messages
2,277
Location
A6-EHF
Fred you could have done an MTU justice by not posting a Bristol Driver at their best. Wheres notch 2!!!!

I guess , thats the only vid ive uploaded of departing HSTs , Ive got a better idea who ever voted none should be shot:shock::lol:.



Fred.
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
you dislike hst's because of the noise? thats a real train my friend!!! the noise is one thing that makes the hst a hst. I do like the MTU's because they're smooth but will deffo miss that scream when MTU's are put in all PC's
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,466
Location
Cambridge
I'm a bit worried about people disliking trains because of the noise...aren't trains supposed to make noise? :?
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
I guess , thats the only vid ive uploaded of departing HSTs , Ive got a better idea who ever voted none should be shot:shock::lol:

Not really, they might prefer the Mirlees engine in a 43.

By the way Fred, the two types of Paxman engines used are the Valenta and the VP185.

JS
 

richa2002

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,298
MTU here as well - You've gotta accept change - thier here to stay like it or not - The Roscos and Ops aren't gonna change things -
The question was which you prefer, any other factors are irrelevant.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does it really matter? As long as it runs on time and is clean then im happy :)
Not really an enthusiast then?
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
I do suspect that certain people only say Valenta because they're scared what people will say if they don't go with the flow, which is pretty sad.

Personally I prefer MTUs because there's less froth over them. Valentas don't sound particularly pleasant. An awful scream but no grunt or anything is just boring. Just because they are loud it doesn't make them hellfire...

Awaits flames from the Spineless Brigade ;)
 

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
I do suspect that certain people only say Valenta because they're scared what people will say if they don't go with the flow, which is pretty sad.

Dunno who you're referring to, but it ain't me.
After spending nearly a year travelling on MML HSTs almost every weekend, I got rather attached to them. I heard about all this MTU/Valenta crap before, but didn't really care either way. Got down to FGW territory and realised what everyone was on about! They're just so...weak!
Thankfully I don't really have to travel with FGW much :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top