• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Dave61

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2026
Messages
154
Location
Long Eaton
It appears RMT traincrew are now in dispute over various issues related to the 810s with a ballot for industrial action being prepared but not yet live. Hopefully a way forward will be found to avert any action.
With all the issues they have been having and no doubt getting lots of grief from the passengers I can hardly blame them.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DDB

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2011
Messages
728
It appears RMT traincrew are now in dispute over various issues related to the 810s with a ballot for industrial action being prepared but not yet live. Hopefully a way forward will be found to avert any action.
Where has this suddenly appeared from as they have been in (limited) use for ages?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

In happier? news I've just seen a 222 failed at Derby and passengers transfered to the following working 810
 

Railperf

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
3,684
Where has this suddenly appeared from as they have been in (limited) use for ages?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

In happier? news I've just seen a 222 failed at Derby and passengers transfered to the following working 810
I'm not sure a failed Class 222 is 'happy' news for anyone because it causes delays and cancellation. EMR barely have enough 222's to run the diagrams not assigned to 810's while having enough spare to undergo the maintenance needed to prevent them failing.
 

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
850
Location
Nottingham
Those 5Q57 paths appear frequently, some times each day of a week, I don't think just because a path is there that a delivery run actually will occur.
It's usually when GBRf start making runs that I think there is an 810 up for delievery, whether they run under GBRf or not though is a different case.
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Derby
019 was never planned to be delivered today. We may however expect it early next week
 

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,342
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
Was in Derby this morning to watching 810010 head off to London Village, a few minutes late (and should've started from Sheffield), and all the displays saying "This train is not in service" rather than the destination.

Still not managed a ride on one :'(
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
810015 has come to a stand just north of Loughborough on 1D66 (1805 St Pancras to Nottingham)
Its return working back to St Pancras at 2011cancelled. Unfortunately the previous London train at 1950 was also cancelled (lack of 222s I think - the arrival from London that splits was only 5 car!) so I imagine the 2050 is already pretty cosy
 

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
850
Location
Nottingham
810015 has come to a stand just north of Loughborough on 1D66 (1805 St Pancras to Nottingham)
Returned to Loughborough now and has detrained and became 5Z66, with a timetable to return to Derby - https://live.rail-record.co.uk/train/?c=72036&d=2026-05-02 - however it has been stood at the platform with what appears to be a greed signal in front of it according to diagrams, so I wonder if it’s still having issues.
 

tfw756rider

On Moderation
Joined
30 Nov 2024
Messages
1,995
Location
Wales (sometimes in England), thanks for replying!

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
850
Location
Nottingham
Yes that’s it, running a bit behind schedule already.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

There we go, 5Z66 departed Loughborough now
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,991
Location
Northampton
0612 Nottingham - St Pancras and 0835 return were cancelled 'problem with the traction equiptment'. The diagrammed 1050 return from Nottingham did however run with 810015. Whether this particular 810 was the one that had the problems earlier or if it was a substitution I can't tell as allocations are removed from RTT when a train is cancelled unless - it's still in the left hand side details, which happens sometimes for 810s.
 

AndrewJM70

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2023
Messages
96
Location
Leicester
Was in Derby this morning to watching 810010 head off to London Village, a few minutes late (and should've started from Sheffield), and all the displays saying "This train is not in service" rather than the destination.

Still not managed a ride on one :'(
I was on 010 on its return journey which didn’t make it to Sheffield either! We were turfed out at Chesterfield so it could get back on schedule. At St Pancras it arrived 45 minutes late (still sporting its ‘Train not in Service’ display) and half the doors weren’t working. The staff were brilliant and got it turned around in a very short time. One cannot fault EMR but how can Hitachi get away with producing something with so many faults having taken so long to deliver it? Beautiful train when it is working though.

Will get half the fare back so there is always an upside
 

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
850
Location
Nottingham
I’m not sure this is a helpful abbreviation or descriptor to use. A singular class 810 can also be described as a multiple unit.
Ah, multiple units then maybe, I suppose I’m used to calling 2 coupled trains MUs as I’m just lazy and like to abbreviate thing, and forget that it may have other meanings…
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,991
Location
Northampton
I’m not sure this is a helpful abbreviation or descriptor to use. A singular class 810 can also be described as a multiple unit.

I may be mistaken, but there are notices in dmu cab windscreens (of 222s amongst others) with a cross over the letters 'MU". I took this to mean that the end concerned couldn't be coupled to another unit. So MU is a railway official term - perhaps MU is an abbreviation for 'multiple'; it's normal to describe locos as 'working in multiple' when two or more locos. are controlled from the same cab, and to distinguish from 'tandem'.
 

tfw756rider

On Moderation
Joined
30 Nov 2024
Messages
1,995
Location
Wales (sometimes in England), thanks for replying!
Ah, multiple units then maybe, I suppose I’m used to calling 2 coupled trains MUs as I’m just lazy and like to abbreviate thing, and forget that it may have other meanings…
MU workings and double 810s are both 11 characters ;) There's also 810s in multi (13 characters).

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I may be mistaken, but there are notices in dmu cab windscreens (of 222s amongst others) with a cross over the letters 'MU". I took this to mean that the end concerned couldn't be coupled to another unit. So MU is a railway official term - perhaps MU is an abbreviation for 'multiple'; it's normal to describe locos as 'working in multiple' when two or more locos. are controlled from the same cab, and to distinguish from 'tandem'.
I've never seen an "MU" cross. The two normal ones I'm familiar with are "NM" (non-multi, which normally means "don't couple this unit to another unit at this end") and "multi only" (I don't recall an "MO" acronym for it, but "don't uncouple this unit from the one that's coupled to it at this end").
 
Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,991
Location
Northampton
I've never seen an "MU" cross. The two normal ones I'm familiar with are "NM" (non-multi, which normally means "don't couple this unit to another unit at this end") and "multi only" (I don't recall an "MO" acronym for it, but "don't uncouple this unit from the one that's coupled to it at this end").

Thanks sorry. I now recollect that it was indeed 'NM' that I have been seeing.
 

Top