• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
850
Location
Nottingham
Have they been cleared for 10 car working yet or is testing still ongoing on that front?
Not to my knowledge. I’m presuming that’s what they’re working on at Old Dalby with GBRf (although ROG seem to have been operating the 810s lately)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gordonman

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2020
Messages
629
Location
Baildon
There were overnight test runs last night

5Q11 Old Dalby - Doncaster
then Newark and return
then 5Q59 Doncaster - Old Dalby

810003 810004 ??
 

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
850
Location
Nottingham
There were overnight test runs last night

5Q11 Old Dalby - Doncaster
then Newark and return
then 5Q59 Doncaster - Old Dalby

810003 810004 ??
Yes, there are runs planned from Dalby all week (and I think next week) under ROG. I can only presume at this moment that it is both, not one if the 810s as there were no units allocated onto the services, but it would make sense to be both
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,991
Location
Northampton
Running in pairs is one thing, but what about coupling and uncoupling? On the 'Avanti service via the Settle and Carlisle' thread today there's report of spending an hour unsuccessfully trying to couple two 807s. They've been in service a while but it seems it's still not been mastered there. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but can't help wondering whether 'coupling issues' will be added to the list of reasons for train cancellations once there's enough 810s in service to run double sets.
 

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2017
Messages
3,506
Location
Leicestershire
Running in pairs is one thing, but what about coupling and uncoupling? On the 'Avanti service via the Settle and Carlisle' thread today there's report of spending an hour unsuccessfully trying to couple two 807s. They've been in service a while but it seems it's still not been mastered there. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but can't help wondering whether 'coupling issues' will be added to the list of reasons for train cancellations once there's enough 810s in service to run double sets.
Coupling two 807's ... interesting. Not seen a 14 car set yet!
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,991
Location
Northampton
Coupling two 807's ... interesting. Not seen a 14 car set yet!
Sorry haven't got used to 805 and 807.
However, in my defence I have been on a West Coast 15 car set a few times - 221s on the Chiltern diversion to Euston. The 3rd set's DMF was coach 'Q' and this was even displayed on the screens on the bulkheads.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Running in pairs is one thing, but what about coupling and uncoupling? On the 'Avanti service via the Settle and Carlisle' thread today there's report of spending an hour unsuccessfully trying to couple two 807s. They've been in service a while but it seems it's still not been mastered there. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but can't help wondering whether 'coupling issues' will be added to the list of reasons for train cancellations once there's enough 810s in service to run double sets.
No different to LNER and GWR who still have issues coupling and uncoupling 5 car sets.
 

Railperf

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
3,684
Running in pairs is one thing, but what about coupling and uncoupling? On the 'Avanti service via the Settle and Carlisle' thread today there's report of spending an hour unsuccessfully trying to couple two 807s. They've been in service a while but it seems it's still not been mastered there. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but can't help wondering whether 'coupling issues' will be added to the list of reasons for train cancellations once there's enough 810s in service to run double sets.
I've been on Avanti West Coast Class 805's that successfully coupled and uncoupled at Chester.

Edit ; never mind running in multiple. We are still struggling for both units to complete the days diagrams as single units. Looks like 011 did not last the day today.
 
Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,926
Appears to have had a locked axle alarm, don't know whether it was spurious or whether something had to be isolated but it terminated at Loughborough and then scuttled off empty to Etches Park.
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,836
Running in pairs is one thing, but what about coupling and uncoupling? On the 'Avanti service via the Settle and Carlisle' thread today there's report of spending an hour unsuccessfully trying to couple two 807s. They've been in service a while but it seems it's still not been mastered there. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but can't help wondering whether 'coupling issues' will be added to the list of reasons for train cancellations once there's enough 810s in service to run double sets.

Snow & ice in couplings can be a swine.
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,836
Doesn't the nose cone stop that happening - unless the unit was driven with the nose cone open?

Only to a certain degree, though if it's the one I'm thinking of, 09:24 from Carlisle, it was nothing to do with the coupling anyway.
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,991
Location
Northampton
Snow & ice in couplings can be a swine.

Thanks, I hadn't realised that was the problem.
Problems with coupling West Coast IETs, primarily at Chester, continued to occur for some time after introduction. The delays at Carlisle on the face of it suggested the process still hadn't been perfected.
I accept what you say about snow and ice but multiple-unit trains (and locos. being mult'd) have been successfully coupled in their presence for many years. Including 222s, as far as I know.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
Snow and ice still gets in from underneath in large quantities.
Similar to the days of old when BR used to put the loco on the leading end of the West Coast Push Pull sets to avoid the whipped up snow finding its way into the traction motors - better to have the loco leading at the direction of travel than have the snow be whipped up by the train.

Though in the case of the 80X, whilst it looks like most of the underframe equipment is boxed in, it isn’t and a lot of them are just covers.
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,836
Thanks, I hadn't realised that was the problem.
Problems with coupling West Coast IETs, primarily at Chester, continued to occur for some time after introduction. The delays at Carlisle on the face of it suggested the process still hadn't been perfected.
I accept what you say about snow and ice but multiple-unit trains (and locos. being mult'd) have been successfully coupled in their presence for many years. Including 222s, as far as I know.

The problem isn't just confined to IETs, I doubt there's any multiple unit that's not affected, and while a shunters pole could knock the majority of it from old fashioned couplings, that'd take time, and of course those had their own problems too.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Stood at Derby waiting for the 1026 to Nottingham which is meant to be an 810. Seems EMR have forgotten about the service as we’ve not even had a delay announcement. I’m gonna guess it’ll eventually be cancelled due to a fault with the train.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Stood at Derby waiting for the 1026 to Nottingham which is meant to be an 810. Seems EMR have forgotten about the service as we’ve not even had a delay announcement. I’m gonna guess it’ll eventually be cancelled due to a fault with the train.
Never mind, we got underway eventually 17 minutes late. Always disconcerting when there’s delay announcements for other services but your train due 10 minutes ago doesn’t get anything announced. Some orange staff seemingly trying to fix the disabled loo in coach E. They’ve managed to get the door open….the lights went green for a couple of seconds but now out of service again. They seem to have admitted defeat.

I can’t believe how loud the aircon is, I’m sure the rest of the 80x are a bit quieter at least
 
Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,926
Said accessible loo was also playing up yesterday and going in and out of service. Driver's cab door internal release bar also broken again yesterday. The fitter looked somewhat harassed bless him.
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,732
Location
Derby
810013 is once again pencilled in for 1C17 tomorrow (14/01), subject to the usual caveats. This should be its first outing in public service
 

Dood75

Member
Joined
8 May 2019
Messages
307
Yes, there are runs planned from Dalby all week (and I think next week) under ROG. I can only presume at this moment that it is both, not one if the 810s as there were no units allocated onto the services, but it would make sense to be both
It was only 1 set as I saw it on the Doncaster railcam , which one though I dont know

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

810013 is once again pencilled in for 1C17 tomorrow (14/01), subject to the usual caveats. This should be its first outing in public service
And 011 looks also to be pencilled in for another go today
 

Top