• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
It looks good though. I have noticed on other Class 80x that a few of the front windows are blocked out. Why? Can't seem to find an answer on the internet...
 

QSK19

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2020
Messages
1,146
Location
Leicestershire
Attached image: Shows purple driving coach 810001 outside Hitachi Merchant Park.
Image from Facebook: James Garthwaite
Finally, we get a view of a pantograph on EMR IC traction - a small step closer to minimising diesel under the wires as much as possible.
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,690
It looks good though. I have noticed on other Class 80x that a few of the front windows are blocked out. Why? Can't seem to find an answer on the internet...
It is the kitchen area at the first-class end. GWR and LNER will have 3 window spaces while the TPE and HT ones have a smaller one so only use 2 windows. The EMR one in the picture on the previous page looks even smaller at only 1 and a half windows.
 

43102EMR

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2021
Messages
1,379
Location
UK
It is the kitchen area at the first-class end. GWR and LNER will have 3 window spaces while the TPE and HT ones have a smaller one so only use 2 windows. The EMR one in the picture on the previous page looks even smaller at only 1 and a half windows.
Probably to take into account the shorter length of the units vice the standard 80X design.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,649
Location
Hampshire
Attached image: Shows purple driving coach 810001 outside Hitachi Merchant Park.
Image from Facebook: James Garthwaite
Interesting that, towards the end of the coach, they have chosen to insert a small window between the Door Pocket and the Vehicle end.
 

Master29

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
1,970
If that is only 2 blacked out kitchen windows for the 810's that gives them an automatic advantage on the ridiculous unused kitchens on GWR's 800's, although I know this was down to the DAFT
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
The new nose looks good

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Interesting that, towards the end of the coach, they have chosen to insert a small window between the Door Pocket and the Vehicle end.
Yes this sort of reminds me of the 395s
 

Trainbike46

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2021
Messages
4,376
Location
belfast
If that is only 2 blacked out kitchen windows for the 810's that gives them an automatic advantage on the ridiculous unused kitchens on GWR's 800's, although I know this was down to the DAFT
Aren't they being used on the pullman dining services now that those are back?
 

Martin222002

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2011
Messages
267
Location
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
It is the kitchen area at the first-class end. GWR and LNER will have 3 window spaces while the TPE and HT ones have a smaller one so only use 2 windows. The EMR one in the picture on the previous page looks even smaller at only 1 and a half windows.
It's worth noting that with the various 5 car 80Xs that only half of the blanked window at the passenger end is the kitchen, with the other having seats with no view. So it looks like the change to the window layout on the driving cars is a set in the right direction to not having any seats where their are blanked out windows, and as mentioned from the previous photo where the door pockets are. Given this its likely the 810s will have a kitchen a similar size to the TPE and Hull Trains 802s.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'm a bit late to the party with this thread, but I must say that photo of that 810 driving vehicle looks good in purple. The finished article should look pretty smart, judging by that :D
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
i think as a whole it looks slightly better proportioned than the 25.5m (as it really is) variant.

Possibly so, although I will confess I am very biased as I like the GWR IETs. EMR's lot have the potential, it appears, to look nicely smart and modern too, much more so than their 222s at least. I might actually have an interest in travelling by train in the East Midlands again when these launch!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
I like all 80x, though I wish they'd chosen a better seat as EMR have. I look forward to the Avanti ones now I know I really like the seat. Good job, as two of the three MKC Avanti services will (eventually) use them! :)

I'm not going to get involved in seat discussion, except to say I find GWR's choice just fine. If EMR have gone for something potentially better, then I will look forward to trying them out in due course. The Avanti 805s/807s (I'm out of touch with what they've got coming) promise to be good too, and definitely worth a good trial journey when they launch.

Anyway, EMR 810s and that kitchen space. I'm completely out of touch with what's happening here (last I checked in with the updates was when they were to be 804s!) but is there potential for EMR to use the kitchens, even if just for First Class use?
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
I'm not going to get involved in seat discussion, except to say I find GWR's choice just fine. If EMR have gone for something potentially better, then I will look forward to trying them out in due course. The Avanti 805s/807s (I'm out of touch with what they've got coming) promise to be good too, and definitely worth a good trial journey when they launch.

Anyway, EMR 810s and that kitchen space. I'm completely out of touch with what's happening here (last I checked in with the updates was when they were to be 804s!) but is there potential for EMR to use the kitchens, even if just for First Class use?
EMR have gone for a completely new type of seat.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,670
Interesting. Well whatever they're like, I'll give them a go when the trains have entered service :) Other than that, no 'seat wibble' from me!

Are we still looking at 2024 for the 810s?
I would say 2024 is probably the earliest.
 

Jozhua

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2019
Messages
1,891
like long eaton - if i'm not mistaken a 5 car 810 can just fit in, and a 10 car may be able to fit at chesterfield. either way, capacity is much higher, with more intercity vehicles than before each of which can hold more seats.
edit - just checked and no, the stations are still too short. i reckon long eaton could easily be made 120m thoug
Long Eaton and Beeston platforms should be extended. Preferably bypassing tracks could be added to the south side to allow for more local frequency between Notts/Derby, which is a bit pitiful at present.

Chesterfield station has lots of room to expand if needed, so that is definitely possible.

Obvious that the clear barrier is St Pancras platforms really! The MML platforms left there are a bit pitiful to be honest - ticket barriers have way too little capacity too.
Portsmouth - Cardiff trains stop 15+ times with the average travelling time between them less than 15 minutes, - often less than 10 minutes. The service provides a local service to many stops along the line, - there's nothing 'inter-city' about it that warrants end doors which would just extend dwell times. Do that and the path would become disruptive to SWML, South Coast and GWML services.
10-15 minute stops are pretty common on IC services, especially when they hit the northern ends of their routes.

Defo very much like that on the MML and not too far off on parts of West/East Coast too. Funnily, lots of my longest journeys often involve some regional/local trains with some changes mixed in. Lots of the IC stuff seems short in comparison!
 

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2020
Messages
2,633
Location
South Staffordshire
Apologies if it has already been asked but have Hitachi gone for "high floors" in all cars of the 810s ?
On the GWR and LNER units to driving end cars are low floor as they dont have engines underneath, whereas I believe four of the five 810 cars have engines.
 

QSK19

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2020
Messages
1,146
Location
Leicestershire
It’s been mentioned in the Avanti rolling stock thread that the first 805 is going to be moving to Old Dalby next week for testing. Does anybody know whether the first 810 is closing in on that milestone too? And in any case, does anybody have any general 810 updates since the previous post in mid-September?
 

Top