No, I think it would be that if I were saying no catering at all is needed, but I'm not, I'm just saying (how am I on the side of the TOC for once?) that a buffet is not the be all and end all for such a short journey. People don't want to let go of nostalgic traditional elements of the past, it was the same with a restaurant car. It is not a long journey to Nottingham, and how many customers are ordering hot food on this 90 minute run anyway?This is the classic 'race to the bottom' argument. Because something is bad somewhere, no one anywhere else is entitled to anything better. A bit depressing really.![]()
Well, pre covid there was a clear demand for the best part of 2.5 HST carriages worth of full English cooked breakfasts on a Saturday morning with many people trading up from Std Class to enjoy it.It is not a long journey to Nottingham, and how many customers are ordering hot food on this 90 minute run anyway?
I don't know the answer to your question, but I suspect you don't either.No, I think it would be that if I were saying no catering at all is needed, but I'm not, I'm just saying (how am I on the side of the TOC for once?) that a buffet is not the be all and end all for such a short journey. People don't want to let go of nostalgic traditional elements of the past, it was the same with a restaurant car. It is not a long journey to Nottingham, and how many customers are ordering hot food on this 90 minute run anyway?
Ah that’s good news - nice to see that bit more progress.810003 currently sat outside at Hitachi Newton Aycliffe, seats fitted, lots of yellow quality control stickers all over outside of unit, and blue plastic covering roof equipment.
I was also told on two of my recent journeys that the buffet was complimentary and was only for first class passengers.There wasn't any intention to include a buffet unfortunately. The ones on the 222s don't get used anymore either
Logically then, if Leeds to Kings Cross gets down to two hours we'd lose our very nice First Class offering... and there would be riots. For me, if you're selling the train as a mobile office (as many do use it) then a high-quality catering offering should be... well, offered. Yes, I know we've spoiled thanks to Christopher Garnett's GNER but I think it's a standard others should be aspiring to match, if not exceed.Trolley service is more than adequate, Sheffield is two hours and Nottingham is ninety minutes. If we're comparing to SWR's 444s, the journey time to Weymouth is of course 3.5 hours.
Yay, apart from the need for quality control stickers...810003 currently sat outside at Hitachi Newton Aycliffe, seats fitted, lots of yellow quality control stickers all over outside of unit, and blue plastic covering roof equipment.
This kind of sums up how people's mindset works! When something is removed and people can't use it, there is then a claim that there is no demand for it. Well yeah, there is no demand because there is no service available - it actually typifies the Tory approach to the railways (and most things) in that they will slowly and quietly remove aspects of a certain industry to make it harder to use and then when usage inevitably drops will use this as an excuse to then announce further cuts "because nobody is using it".Well, pre covid there was a clear demand for the best part of 2.5 HST carriages worth of full English cooked breakfasts on a Saturday morning with many people trading up from Std Class to enjoy it.
The demand is there - it's just that DfT and EMR have no interest in building the market any more - that's my opinion. And part of the reason they are not interested ins that they did not specify rolling stock that could help build that demand amongst passengers.
What about 810002?Ah that’s good news - nice to see that bit more progress.
Well, pre covid there was a clear demand for the best part of 2.5 HST carriages worth of full English cooked breakfasts on a Saturday morning with many people trading up from Std Class to enjoy it.
The demand is there - it's just that DfT and EMR have no interest in building the market any more - that's my opinion. And part of the reason they are not interested ins that they did not specify rolling stock that could help build that demand amongst passengers.
I couldn’t agree more with both of you. The nosedive of quality in the last few years is the main reason why the car is now my transport of choice for longer distance journeys in Britain. Still do plenty of rail travel in other countries - about three times the distance compared with Britain last year - which tells you everything.This kind of sums up how people's mindset works! When something is removed and people can't use it, there is then a claim that there is no demand for it. Well yeah, there is no demand because there is no service available - it actually typifies the Tory approach to the railways (and most things) in that they will slowly and quietly remove aspects of a certain industry to make it harder to use and then when usage inevitably drops will use this as an excuse to then announce further cuts "because nobody is using it".
It is remarkable how many fall for it and how quickly people forget the usage that actually occurred before the service in question was removed.
In Italy for climate testing as per post 2,185.What about 810002?
Any idea when this went over to Italy please?002 is in Italy at Pistoia for climate testing.
Post 2340, 2 coaches sent to Italy for climate chamber testing.What about 810002?
Yes they get painted purple at Newton Aycliffe, after they have been welded together to form the shell.Any idea when this went over to Italy please?
Also, are all of these units coming out of Newton Aycliffe dressed in purple?
good capture as a couple of hours later the set was back inside the test shed out of view.WaverleyJohn on Youtube has captured 810003.
Saved me a comment, thanks.There wasn't any intention to include a buffet unfortunately. The ones on the 222s don't get used anymore either
The first one appeared six months ago so plenty of time for type testing bearing in mind the subsystems would have been subjected to their own type testing beforehand so this now an overall system and integration test of the complete train.Isn't it a safety matter? If it could be done quicker, why wouldn't it be? As you say, the process costs money.
Well, pre covid there was a clear demand for the best part of 2.5 HST carriages worth of full English cooked breakfasts on a Saturday morning with many people trading up from Std Class to enjoy it.
The demand is there - it's just that DfT and EMR have no interest in building the market any more - that's my opinion. And part of the reason they are not interested ins that they did not specify rolling stock that could help build that demand amongst passengers.
Yes, I do appreciate those points - but that issue ref seating should have been addressed by the size of the fleet (or coaches for each train) in my view. If the demand is as high as it is and if it is predicted to increase then more carriages are surely required, which should generate more income and use assets more effectively and efficiently (staff to passenger ratio for example).Much as I understand the sentiment, we know these are shorter-than-ideal-five car trains, whose length is limited by the infrastructure, and that there’s already severe over crowding on the route. Hence buffets that are already a waste of space on the current fleet can’t really be justified, and neither could a full size galley that, just like on the Meridians, wouldn’t be used to cook meals anymore (or only on a few trains), but would take up half a carriage of seating space - just as with the farcical kitchens on the GWR fleet.
The “demand” as passenger numbers continue to rise over the next few decades, is going to more focussed around getting a seat, or even getting onto the train at all, than getting a cooked breakfast etc.
Absolutely business expense travel is a thing of another ageMuch as I understand the sentiment, we know these are shorter-than-ideal-five car trains, whose length is limited by the infrastructure, and that there’s already severe over crowding on the route. Hence buffets that are already a waste of space on the current fleet can’t really be justified, and neither could a full size galley that, just like on the Meridians, wouldn’t be used to cook meals anymore (or only on a few trains), but would take up half a carriage of seating space - just as with the farcical kitchens on the GWR fleet.
The “demand” as passenger numbers continue to rise over the next few decades, is going to more focussed around getting a seat, or even getting onto the train at all, than getting a cooked breakfast etc.
Didn't realise it was only people on expenses that got hungryAbsolutely business expense travel is a thing of another age
They were the only ones who could afford to buy a cooked meal on-boardDidn't realise it was only people on expenses that got hungry![]()
Or it would have done, had you not commented anywaySaved me a comment, thanks.
Sadly. I’d have happily let my boss foot the upgrade.Absolutely business expense travel is a thing of another age
Yes, I do appreciate those points - but that issue ref seating should have been addressed by the size of the fleet (or coaches for each train) in my view. If the demand is as high as it is and if it is predicted to increase then more carriages are surely required, which should generate more income and use assets more effectively and efficiently (staff to passenger ratio for example).
Didn't realise it was only people on expenses that got hungry![]()
I remember the 2 hour cut off as well - we got first class travel if the journey was over 2 hours. So, when I had to travel back from Ashford once, I made sure that I travelled on the itinerary taking 2:01I confess, in days now long gone by I'd have a 3 course meal between St Pancras and Chesterfield. Expenses only covered standard class travel but if I had a meal I could sit in first. If my journey home was over 2 hours I could recover the cost of the meal. (It had previously worked for me between Kings Cross and Brough.)
Times change.
It will be interesting to see if ‘first class’ is embossed in to the seats or if it will disappear before they are running in preparation for 1st to disappear in the future.I remember the 2 hour cut off as well - we got first class travel if the journey was over 2 hours. So, when I had to travel back from Ashford once, I made sure that I travelled on the itinerary taking 2:01
A shame that EMR’s offering seems to be morphing into more of a standard plus product and they’re moving away from a proper first class (eventually, it’ll probably end up being a vending machine only refreshments provision and “first class” will merely consist of more spacious seating).
Exactly overall business travel levels on rail are at ~30% of pre-covid levels.Absolutely business expense travel is a thing of another age
I guess they could have ordered some ten car 810s that used the full StP platforms, but I agree any lengths other than 5s (that allow doubling up) or 10s (use the entire platform) would have been madnessIt probably won’t be enough carriages for the long term. Trouble is we are where we are with that now, and then you get back into the issues of limited platform capacity at St Pancras meaning you could only have five car trains (which can be strengthened to tens), and the limited capacity on the southern MML meaning you can’t increase train numbers easily either, hence needing to maximise capacity from the fives.