Merle Haggard
Established Member
I thought they had started ‘repairing’ the damaged seating on 222s many months ago?
It's not just the seats that are not well maintained ...
I thought they had started ‘repairing’ the damaged seating on 222s many months ago?
As far as I’m aware, and given that they are intensively used, Etches Park is doing the best they can for the 222s.It's not just the seats that are not well maintained ...
Have you got a source for this info? Even if it's true I don't actually see them in service that soonCurrent plan is September time. There are 4 '810-ready' diagrams which can be made Class 810 operated whenever they are ready.
The full rollout will be complete by December 2026
There was a bit in the Rail magazine from two weeks ago about it. I'll see if I can take a photo later.Have you got a source for this info? Even if it's true I don't actually see them in service that soon
I take what RAIL magazine print with a pinch of salt.There was a bit in the Rail magazine from two weeks ago about it. I'll see if I can take a photo later.
I do tend to agree. I had heard the September/ Autumn date elsewhere too, but we'll see if it happens. At this point we can just hope testing continues to go well, and hopefully we'll be able to ride them soon.I take what RAIL magazine print with a pinch of salt.
I believe that article mentions 10 car testing complete, or nearly complete? (Can’t remember the wording), however 10 car testing has not even commenced yet.
In the article they quote unit numbers in testing phase and routine testing, but repeat unit numbers , there is no accuracy or fact checking with what they write.
Also they state units up to 810021 are in assembly, but then say vehicles from 027 are involved in climate chamber testing. Nothing makes sense in the article.
I will believe it when they enter service.Current plan is September time. There are 4 '810-ready' diagrams which can be made Class 810 operated whenever they are ready.
The full rollout will be complete by December 2026
Had a trip on a 222 to Sheffield and back last week. It seemed to be very well maintained (apart from one toilet out of order). Certainly nothing wrong with the seats.It's not just the seats that are not well maintained ...
Had a trip on a 222 to Sheffield and back last week. It seemed to be very well maintained (apart from one toilet out of order). Certainly nothing wrong with the seats.
How can they be so much better than the Voyagers, which are basically the same body and underfloor?
Current plan is September time. There are 4 '810-ready' diagrams which can be made Class 810 operated whenever they are ready.
The full rollout will be complete by December 2026
I take what RAIL magazine print with a pinch of salt.
I believe that article mentions 10 car testing complete, or nearly complete? (Can’t remember the wording), however 10 car testing has not even commenced yet.
In the article they quote unit numbers in testing phase and routine testing, but repeat unit numbers , there is no accuracy or fact checking with what they write.
Also they state units up to 810021 are in assembly, but then say vehicles from 027 are involved in climate chamber testing. Nothing makes sense in the article.
Ah okay my apologies. That's what I had understood from an internal source but I may have been mistaken. Let's hope for at least one diagram before the end of the year!That certainly isn’t anything that’s been announced internally. Training is expected to commence this year.
If I recall correctly, the Class 222, predecessors of 810s were ordered in 2002 and delivered in to service by late 2004, just two and a half years later. This goes to highlight how humorously lengthy the introduction of Auroras is turning out to be.I will believe it when they enter service.
The order was placed in July 2019, so that will be over 6 years (and at time of ordering were due to enter service in 2022), so running 3-4 years late
![]()
Abellio invests £400 million in new trains for East Midlands Railway | EMR
Abellio UK, recently awarded the new eight-year EMR franchise by the Department for Transport, has awarded a £400 million contract to Hitachi Rail to build a pioneering new fleet of intercity trains.www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk
Ah okay my apologies. That's what I had understood from an internal source but I may have been mistaken.
Let's hope for at least one diagram before the end of the year!
Beginning to wonder now if they've been following the SWR guide to introducing new traction...The first unit is not due to hand over to EMR until June/July, I find September as very unlikely.
The dates for every milestone with this fleet just keep slipping, and slipping and slipping.
Beginning to wonder now if they've been following the SWR guide to introducing new traction...
Don’t think we can blame EMR for this, from my sources from both Hitachi and EMR, the blame (99%) lays firmly with Hitachi.Beginning to wonder now if they've been following the SWR guide to introducing new traction...
The stock is still being built and tested - very much not the same situation as SWR where most of the 701 fleet was physically built and handed over years ago!
Thanks to you both, I am both better informed and humbled.Don’t think we can blame EMR for this, from my sources from both Hitachi and EMR, the blame (99%) lays firmly with Hitachi.
Poor project management, poor workmanship on the unit.
EMR are just as bewildered as the rest of us regards these units.
Indeed, for whatever reasons it’s a great shame such a sizeable part of the industry has totally lost the plot on introducing new stock in reasonable timescales post Covid.I will believe it when they enter service.
The order was placed in July 2019, so that will be over 6 years (and at time of ordering were due to enter service in 2022), so running 3-4 years late
Don’t think we can blame EMR for this, from my sources from both Hitachi and EMR, the blame (99%) lays firmly with Hitachi.
Poor project management, poor workmanship on the unit.
EMR are just as bewildered as the rest of us regards these units.
How long was production affected by Covid, directly? Because I think even if the demic had never happened we'd still be waiting a long time for these trains!Covid is still trotted out, but that’s wearing a bit thin when the start of the pandemic is coming up to five years ago now, hard to believe as that is.
Bombardier had learned from the Voyagers and tweaked the bits that were less than average when building the 222s. The lack of tilt in the Meridians is also a bonus as it meant they didn't need to narrow the body making it feel airy. The recent reupholstering in standard class is also well received.Had a trip on a 222 to Sheffield and back last week. It seemed to be very well maintained (apart from one toilet out of order). Certainly nothing wrong with the seats.
How can they be so much better than the Voyagers, which are basically the same body and underfloor?
How long was production affected by Covid, directly? Because I think even if the demic had never happened we'd still be waiting a long time for these trains!
The covid restrictions were reintroduced by area, so there is no exact duration, but 13-16 months is the usually accepted as cumulative disruption period.How long was production affected by Covid, directly? Because I think even if the demic had never happened we'd still be waiting a long time for these trains!
Do the 222s not still use a tapered bodyshell? I thought they didHow long was production affected by Covid, directly? Because I think even if the demic had never happened we'd still be waiting a long time for these trains!
Bombardier had learned from the Voyagers and tweaked the bits that were less than average when building the 222s. The lack of tilt in the Meridians is also a bonus as it meant they didn't need to narrow the body making it feel airy. The recent reupholstering in standard class is also well received.
Unfortunately a few let downs are the ongoing issues with the TMS/reservations, WiFi, the toilets and the high usage of tape holding things together. I'd imagine it is difficult though given that the loss of the 180s has stretched the fleet very thinly. Hopefully the 222s get a good refurbishment post-EMR and become amazing units again
As far as I’m aware, and given that they are intensively used, Etches Park is doing the best they can for the 222s.
Had a trip on a 222 to Sheffield and back last week. It seemed to be very well maintained (apart from one toilet out of order). Certainly nothing wrong with the seats.
How can they be so much better than the Voyagers, which are basically the same body and underfloor?
/snip/
Unfortunately a few let downs are the ongoing issues with the TMS/reservations, WiFi, the toilets and the high usage of tape holding things together. I'd imagine it is difficult though given that the loss of the 180s has stretched the fleet very thinly. Hopefully the 222s get a good refurbishment post-EMR and become amazing units again
Completely agree, its the main reason I enjoy travelling with EMR because the onboard staff are always amazingOn the other hand, station staff and on-board people that I encounter are among the friendliest and most helpful anywhere on the network.
The buttons look pretty similar to hundreds of other door buttons used on many different types of unit. Even if they are obsolete, precuring a different type shouldn't be that hard. As you say, all the defects will need sorting before the units are handed back, so they might as well get on with it now. They are very tightly diagrammed. I did have the diagrams but I have mislaid them. I think it is 24 diagrams for 27 units.It may be that expenditure on maintenance is very restricted because the trains only have a short-term future with EMR but there's a problem with that; before being returned to the lessees all these defects will have to be repaired anyway. For instance, the problem with vestibule door buttons is said to be that they are obsolete implying not longer made but that will have presumably have to be resolved before the trains are returned.
Of course it could be with that high level of availability that they can't do anything other than routine maintenance. Might the Rosco get them back as is and get Widnes (or somewhere) to rectify faults, then invoice EMR?As you say, all the defects will need sorting before the units are handed back, so they might as well get on with it now. They are very tightly diagrammed. I did have the diagrams but I have mislaid them. I think it is 24 diagrams for 27 units.
Yes that’s spot on. Unplanned maintenance is undertaken at Central Rivers due to limited capacity at Etches Park, but this results in more units than normal being out of traffic. I’m not sure what arrangements will be made wrt handback.Of course it could be with that high level of availability that they can't do anything other than routine maintenance. Might the Rosco get them back as is and get Widnes (or somewhere) to rectify faults, then invoice EMR?
You would think (hope?) that at handback they would go for a proper mid life refurb before heading to a new operator so in reality what would be the point in fixing relatively minor trim and button type issues that absolutely create a very poor impression for the current passenger, but would go in the scrap bin when any proper refurb work go underway.Yes that’s spot on. Unplanned maintenance is undertaken at Central Rivers due to limited capacity at Etches Park, but this results in more units than normal being out of traffic. I’m not sure what arrangements will be made wrt handback.