• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 800 Yeovil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
23 Mar 2021
Messages
57
Location
Yeovil
I couldn't take a pic as driving, but noticed a photographer overlooking Yeovil Pen Mill Station.

As I went past I could just see a class 800 on the platform. I wonder if anyone knows why that was there today please.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MiNi

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2019
Messages
532
Location
Sherborne
I couldn't take a pic as driving, but noticed a photographer overlooking Yeovil Pen Mill Station.

As I went past I could just see a class 800 on the platform. I wonder if anyone knows why that was there today please.
been diversions via Yeovil all this week so far.Due to engineering works.
At 13.00 ish 802102 & 107 crossed there.
 
Last edited:

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,033
Location
Up the creek
National Rail mentions ’No trains via Tiverton Parkway…’ and gives as the reason engineering work between Weston-Super-Mare and Castle Carey (sic). I presume that the work is in the Cogload-Taunton area: saying that is between Weston-on-Mud and Cary is stretching things a lot. The only specific mention of Taunton is to say the Night Riviera isn’t calling, but a look at ‘Live departures‘ shows all of them being buses. Presumably nobody who had a hand in preparing the entry has any knowledge of the local railway geography and they just bashed out any old thing from a circular. Not passenger-friendly.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,526
Location
Taunton or Kent
National Rail mentions ’No trains via Tiverton Parkway…’ and gives as the reason engineering work between Weston-Super-Mare and Castle Carey (sic). I presume that the work is in the Cogload-Taunton area: saying that is between Weston-on-Mud and Cary is stretching things a lot. The only specific mention of Taunton is to say the Night Riviera isn’t calling, but a look at ‘Live departures‘ shows all of them being buses. Presumably nobody who had a hand in preparing the entry has any knowledge of the local railway geography and they just bashed out any old thing from a circular. Not passenger-friendly.
Yes there appear to be track renewals (and maybe other equipment) at Taunton primarily, possibly other locations but not sure.

What's interesting(ish) about IETs going via Yeovil is I believe they have to traverse Castle Cary - Yeovil Pen Mill at no more than 40mph (and it is a fairly long stretch of single line working), because only Sprinter-class trains (inc. Turbos) are cleared for the 75mph max line speed, unless IETs have been granted clearance for this. This increased frequency along that stretch combined with running at a speed only just over half what regular services use must be a big capacity constraint, especially during disruption.
 

louis97

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,153
Location
Derby
Yes there appear to be track renewals (and maybe other equipment) at Taunton primarily, possibly other locations but not sure.

What's interesting(ish) about IETs going via Yeovil is I believe they have to traverse Castle Cary - Yeovil Pen Mill at no more than 40mph (and it is a fairly long stretch of single line working), because only Sprinter-class trains (inc. Turbos) are cleared for the 75mph max line speed, unless IETs have been granted clearance for this. This increased frequency along that stretch combined with running at a speed only just over half what regular services use must be a big capacity constraint, especially during disruption.
Its only Sprinter speeds for a very short distance at the Castle Cary end of the route (15 chains), the majority of the rest of the section is 75mph MU speeds.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,526
Location
Taunton or Kent
Its only Sprinter speeds for a very short distance at the Castle Cary end of the route (15 chains), the majority of the rest of the section is 75mph MU speeds.
Thanks for clarifying; 15 chains of that description sounds pretty pointless. Presumably though this meant HSTs were not cleared when they had to do this diversion.
 

louis97

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,153
Location
Derby
Thanks for clarifying; 15 chains of that description sounds pretty pointless. Presumably though this meant HSTs were not cleared when they had to do this diversion.
I believe HSTs were cleared to do the MU speeds on this section. They certainly are permitted to do MU speeds on Western route, the SP speeds on the Newquay branch were changed to MU speeds which HSTs then took advantage of. I think this section was similarly converted.
 

Amlag

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2018
Messages
312
Unbelievably ( or not ?!) the gW IET Diverts this week between Exeter and C.Cary via Yeovil include erroneous information to passengers on their constantly scrolling passenger info. system that trains call at Chard Jn !
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,662
Unbelievably ( or not ?!) the gW IET Diverts this week between Exeter and C.Cary via Yeovil include erroneous information to passengers on their constantly scrolling passenger info. system that trains call at Chard Jn !
Not unheard of unfortunately.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,526
Location
Taunton or Kent
I believe HSTs were cleared to do the MU speeds on this section. They certainly are permitted to do MU speeds on Western route, the SP speeds on the Newquay branch were changed to MU speeds which HSTs then took advantage of. I think this section was similarly converted.
Thank you for clarifying.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Was there a particular reason for certain SWR intermediate stations being included as official stops? I can understand the likes of Axminster and Honiton being included due to being situated on passing loops, but at least one service had Cranbrook as well, which is on a single section.
 

pompeyfan

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
4,445
Thank you for clarifying.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Was there a particular reason for certain SWR intermediate stations being included as official stops? I can understand the likes of Axminster and Honiton being included due to being situated on passing loops, but at least one service had Cranbrook as well, which is on a single section.

SWR services have had to be reduced at times to accommodate the diversions. GWR services picked up some intermediate calls.

Due to the single line nature on a couple of days SWR terminated short at Yeovil Jn, with IETs calling ALL stations to Pinhoe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top