• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

Ayman Ilham

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2016
Messages
462
Location
Blackburn (Lancs)
I would think so. The units have 2+2 seating and as such are built for the sort of passenger traffic on the route. Not too many years ago the route was worked by class 323s.
BAD NEWS: Just saw a 730 stabled outside Crewe and cos the lights were on inside (it's night time) I was just able to see 2+3 seating similar to the 720; not sure if I was seeing things but I saw end gangways so it was definitely a 730.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJDesiro

Member
Joined
10 May 2019
Messages
929
Location
Rugby
BAD NEWS: Just saw a 730 stabled outside Crewe and cos the lights were on inside (it's night time) I was just able to see 2+3 seating similar to the 720; not sure if I was seeing things but I saw end gangways so it was definitely a 730.
The units at Crewe were built before the order was changed, it is expected that they will recieve interior modifications to 2+2 seating at some point, likely after full production of the LNR 730s has begun.
 

Halish Railway

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2017
Messages
2,176
Location
West Yorkshire / Birmingham
BAD NEWS: Just saw a 730 stabled outside Crewe and cos the lights were on inside (it's night time) I was just able to see 2+3 seating similar to the 720; not sure if I was seeing things but I saw end gangways so it was definitely a 730.
Supposedly this is going to change - They're going to keep the same types of seats but retrofit tables and armrests.
 

Halish Railway

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2017
Messages
2,176
Location
West Yorkshire / Birmingham
Gone and won't return. They destroyed punctuality and caused all manner of difficulties, and weren't quicker than using the Crewe and changing.
The only justification for their existence was ORCATS raiding and maybe to provide some more cross-Birmingham connectivity. ORCATS has been replaced by management fees and performance based bonuses and there are still two services between Coventry and Wolverhampton per hour.

Has there been any development on the suggestion of introducing 730s on Liverpool to Birmingham services? As I understand it their introduction on that route is dependent on returning the frequency to 2tph and running single units.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,626
Location
Crewe
Any news on the future of the Liverpool-Euston workings?
Had been discussed internally using Trent Valley rather than via BHM but has been shelved indefinitely

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The only justification for their existence was ORCATS raiding and maybe to provide some more cross-Birmingham connectivity. ORCATS has been replaced by management fees and performance based bonuses and there are still two services between Coventry and Wolverhampton per hour.

Has there been any development on the suggestion of introducing 730s on Liverpool to Birmingham services? As I understand it their introduction on that route is dependent on returning the frequency to 2tph and running single units.
Think DfT have said no to 2tph, was meant to be reintroduced this year
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,643
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Had been discussed internally using Trent Valley rather than via BHM but has been shelved indefinitely

Interesting that that's been proposed internally, as I personally consider it a far more economical way to provide two Liverpool to London services than Avanti's plan, and as it's now self contained from other LNR services it can't wreck their punctuality.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,626
Location
Crewe
Interesting that that's been proposed internally, as I personally consider it a far more economical way to provide two Liverpool to London services than Avanti's plan, and as it's now self contained from other LNR services it can't wreck their punctuality.
It's something my depot is looking at doing as we sign the entire route, it would also allow the 8 car 350 to run semi-fast and then have either 4 car 350/5 car 730 to run the LIV-BHM all stops without needed UDS
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,643
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
It's something my depot is looking at doing as we sign the entire route, it would also allow the 8 car 350 to run semi-fast and then have either 4 car 350/5 car 730 to run the LIV-BHM all stops without needed UDS

I don't think that would really work because there's enough demand actually to Brum to need longer than 4.350. 5.730 (equivalent to 6.350) may suffice though.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,626
Location
Crewe
I don't think that would really work because there's enough demand actually to Brum to need longer than 4.350. 5.730 (equivalent to 6.350) may suffice though.
I agree, however if the 2nd train was to become LIV-EUS via the Trent, passengers would have to change at Crewe or Stafford regardless.

Head of Fleet did say they'd give me an update on LNWR 730 plan for the year within the next few weeks so hopefully that sheds some light on where to expect them.
 

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Joined
13 Sep 2014
Messages
2,554
Looks like two 730/0 paths. Can anyone confirm if they'll run?

 

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Joined
13 Sep 2014
Messages
2,554
Will the 730s still replace the 319s this month or has it been pushed back?
 

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Joined
13 Sep 2014
Messages
2,554
Indeed, they've been to Euston a few times, quite a lot of testing in the Trent Valley area as well. A bit around Bletchley as well.
I think these are mainly GBRF mileage accumulation runs on behalf of Alstom. I'm not sure what the state of training is but not much has taken place between Bletchley and Euston so far and I don't believe any 730s are at Wembley.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,641
Location
Hampshire
08/03 5Q26 37601/608 730026/027
I wonder if these are completed units going into storage at Worksop, or if Alstom are still running short of space and sending part completed units for storage there.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,626
Location
Crewe
I think these are mainly GBRF mileage accumulation runs on behalf of Alstom. I'm not sure what the state of training is but not much has taken place between Bletchley and Euston so far and I don't believe any 730s are at Wembley.
730s should be being stored at Oxley and Bletchley currently. Not aware of any planned to be at Wembley
 

Top