Moderator note: Split from
www.railforums.co.uk
Not a train driver, nor anyone associated with the railway, so take what I am about to say as an "ignorant" couch opinion...
If I was trying to utilise these trains to their best, I would probably not plan to use their full capabilities, even if proven to be safe, but instead figure out a reasonable performance curve that should be used in normal cases (it may include things like use 85% of power during accelerating from a standstill for example).
That way, if safe to do so (important), the full performance is still available during abnormal situations (delays) to help bring back a schedule?
Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway: progress updates
701001 - In Passenger Service (2 Mar 26) 701002 - In Passenger Service (18 May 26) 701003 - In Passenger Service (27 Jul 26) 701004 - In Passenger Service (10 Jul 26) 701005 - In Passenger Service (27 Aug 25) 701006 - In Passenger Service (6 Mar 26) 701007 - In Passenger Service (24 Feb 26)...
From a drivers perspective would you say that the companies professional driving policy is possibly restricting the performance of the 701s? I know it’s probably true with all stock but could 701s especially justify an amended, less restrictive policy? (For clarity sake, I know the policy is there for a reason, safety and comfort, and the last thing drivers want is station overshoots, or worse SPADs or buffer stop collisions, but I wonder if the 701s have more to take advantage of without compromising safety or comfort)
Not a train driver, nor anyone associated with the railway, so take what I am about to say as an "ignorant" couch opinion...
If I was trying to utilise these trains to their best, I would probably not plan to use their full capabilities, even if proven to be safe, but instead figure out a reasonable performance curve that should be used in normal cases (it may include things like use 85% of power during accelerating from a standstill for example).
That way, if safe to do so (important), the full performance is still available during abnormal situations (delays) to help bring back a schedule?
Last edited by a moderator: