swt class 450
Guest
- Joined
- 9 Apr 2016
- Messages
- 1,909
As I've never worked with Eurostar stock I do find that very interesting, though it has to be pointed out that many Turbostars (ie. recent-ish British DMUs) don't have door interlock lights for conductors either, and the BIL lights cannot solely be used for checking interlock is achieved. As they have brake and buzzer interlock it is rarely a problem, except if the buzzer fails...
As for 455s, which are rather more relevant, at the time you mention I believe you could have dispatched all of those with the local door open, which would have been familiar had E* TMs actually dispatched them. It's not normally permitted now, and I'm not sure if the SWT ones still allow dispatch with a local door open anyway. Southern ones do but it's not officially allowed for conductors any more. Panel interlock lights are a bit dodgy and have been for a good few years but at least they do exist!
I have quite often seen Guards on 455s (especially at Holmwood / Ockley / Warnham stations) open their local door as the train is pulling in to the platform and close their local door after the train has pulled out of the platform.