Craigentinny had new ones made from the original drawings, I believe.
Well they can certainly rest easy that their efforts have been seen and fully appreciated!
Craigentinny had new ones made from the original drawings, I believe.
Note the flush windows on the first coach and the very young fan to the left.
View attachment 71814
All the cab doors have been changed - two different designs have been used. They were changed as the old ones became distorted over the years which lead to draughts in the cab.Incidentally - what's the story on the cab doors on the LNER HSTs? why were they changed yet I think others remain original design, eg EMR HSTs and possible the former GWR sets?
It’s a coach from the prototype set - design was changed for production Mark 3s.Whats the significance of/origin of/reason for the flush windows?
Thanks - Morpethcurve
I see from Twitter that Tim Dunn was trying some sort of convoluted stunt with a model HST on the tour today on Stoke Bank. Shame the research about the world diesel speed record was wrong in the first place - the record 43102/159 set on 1st November 1987 was nowhere near Stoke Bank. It was set just south of Northallerton.
https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1208433218132860928
Thanks!All the cab doors have been changed - two different designs have been used. They were changed as the old ones became distorted over the years which lead to draughts in the cab.
It’s a coach from the prototype set - design was changed for production Mark 3s.
How was it allowed to run at all if it's non-compliant - was a derogation granted for tour use? It's worth noting that almost all Mk1 and 2 stock used on tours doesn't have doors in different colours.The paint scheme on the carriage doors doesn't meet disability legislation. Plus Power Cars/Coaches will invariably get chopped and changed around.
It looks just like a new chrome strip around the standard inset LED clusters to create the illusion, but it makes all the difference.Craigentinny had new ones made from the original drawings, I believe.
How was it allowed to run at all if it's non-compliant - was a derogation granted for tour use? It's worth noting that almost all Mk1 and 2 stock used on tours doesn't have doors in different colours.
That's right, private charters and heritage services don't have the same requirements.As far as I'm aware the requirements on colour contrast do not apply to private charters only to public services. This would be the same reason why you can have non-accessible buses running around for galas or contracted school services but would get in trouble if you tried to run them on a service bus to you local town.
I wonder if that would be under its own power - an ECS move to watch for. Probably much faster than being hauled!I've said it already: this set is not going to EMR.
Store at Ely is the most likely first move.
I see from Twitter that Tim Dunn was trying some sort of convoluted stunt with a model HST on the tour today on Stoke Bank. Shame the research about the world diesel speed record was wrong in the first place - the record 43102/159 set on 1st November 1987 was nowhere near Stoke Bank. It was set just south of Northallerton.
https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1208433218132860928
I didn't see it, but was on board! "Convoluted" only in the sense of the trouble of laying down track etc to do it.No matter! The important thing was that we have created a super-fast model trainset on the right railway, on the right train, doing the fastest speed we could. I can’t tell from your post’s tone (ref “convoluted”) whether you found this aN enjoyable thing or not. But we aboard - and others who couldn’t be - had a jolly nice time, and that is what really counts.
Thanks for posting this Tim! Whatever, it was all good fun!!! And of course being an electrified set...Alas, I should have gone with my assertion the previous day from my own obvious sources that it was on a measured mile near Northallerton- but I was convinced otherwise by two other respected individuals aboard that the record there was Tyne Tees Pullman passenger-carrying, and that the world record was at Stoke Bank. I am reliably informed that the starting pistol that was used to lunch the passenger one at Newcastle is still in existence and mounted on the wall of someone who holds that day dear.
No matter! The important thing was that we have created a super-fast model trainset on the right railway, on the right train, doing the fastest speed we could. I can’t tell from your post’s tone (ref “convoluted”) whether you found this aN enjoyable thing or not. But we aboard - and others who couldn’t be - had a jolly nice time, and that is what really counts.
Alas, I should have gone with my assertion the previous day from my own obvious sources that it was on a measured mile near Northallerton- but I was convinced otherwise by two other respected individuals aboard that the record there was Tyne Tees Pullman passenger-carrying, and that the world record was at Stoke Bank. I am reliably informed that the starting pistol that was used to lunch the passenger one at Newcastle is still in existence and mounted on the wall of someone who holds that day dear.
No matter! The important thing was that we have created a super-fast model trainset on the right railway, on the right train, doing the fastest speed we could. I can’t tell from your post’s tone (ref “convoluted”) whether you found this aN enjoyable thing or not. But we aboard - and others who couldn’t be - had a jolly nice time, and that is what really counts.
I didn't see it, but was on board! "Convoluted" only in the sense of the trouble of laying down track etc to do it.
It was an excellent day, and as I think I said above LNER (and others) are to be congratulated on what they have achieve.
Which record run? The Tyne Tees Pullman?Massively O/T BUT permission / encouragement for that record run must have come from the very top. I assume the request was made the day the finance director was on leave! I wonder how they managed to make it happen?
Which record run? The Tyne Tees Pullman?
Nice pics - thanks for posting - and welcome!First post so fingers crossed I have done this ok. I was at Hitchin Station to see the 43 Farewell Tour. Looked amazing and loved that the driver gave many blasts of the Horn. Was very lucky to get these photos as a service Train was in platform 2 and only moved about 30 seconds before the 43 came through on the slow line at Platform 1.
Wasn't she just on duty to make sure everyone could get a clear pic of the superb paint job with no one standing too close getting in everyone's way?I went to see the set at Kings cross
I was particularly amused by a security guard who spent her time continously shouting "stand behind the yellow line" at photographers whilst the train was in the platform even though it was not due out for 45 more minutes.
She was as effective as the man who stands at the barriers at Disney Paris when the park opens who shouts "No one is to run"
I then went to Finsbury Park where the set passed the platform I was on at high speed with no one to tell me it was dangerous to stand too close
Great photos, it was great to hear the two tones as it passed though.First post so fingers crossed I have done this ok. I was at Hitchin Station to see the 43 Farewell Tour. Looked amazing and loved that the driver gave many blasts of the Horn. Was very lucky to get these photos as a service Train was in platform 2 and only moved about 30 seconds before the 43 came through on the slow line at Platform 1.
Really good photos and a great looking train. Shame they are coming out of service.First post so fingers crossed I have done this ok. I was at Hitchin Station to see the 43 Farewell Tour. Looked amazing and loved that the driver gave many blasts of the Horn. Was very lucky to get these photos as a service Train was in platform 2 and only moved about 30 seconds before the 43 came through on the slow line at Platform 1.
Like those very muchFirst post so fingers crossed I have done this ok. I was at Hitchin Station to see the 43 Farewell Tour. Looked amazing and loved that the driver gave many blasts of the Horn. Was very lucky to get these photos as a service Train was in platform 2 and only moved about 30 seconds before the 43 came through on the slow line at Platform 1.