• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 395 makes test run out of St. Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1337

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2008
Messages
613
Location
Laaandaaan
There are plenty of instances where people pay more to use a faster train VT and chiltern for birmingham services or VT and london midland spring to mind a premium service can atract a premium price. If no one uses it because the price is too high it would probably fall.

True, and the differences can be a fair bit more than they are on these services. London Euston - Crewe is £65 peak LM, £190 peak Virgin. That's just about 3x the price, the difference is still twice the price off peak. FCC to Peterborough is another example.

I disagree with johnmorris0844 and would say it is more the other way around in that it is the slower services that are cheaper. I think that it is good to have the option of paying less for a slower journey as some people aren't in a hurry. I don't think that we will have a reasonably priced walk up railway any time soon for long distance journeys, with a few exceptions ie LM, unless there's major capacity improvement or subsidies go up.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,952
Location
UK
If SET had reduced fares on the old route and kept them as they were (subject to the usual inflationary increase) on the new route then, yes, I could understand it.

However, from the outset it was agreed that the HS1 service could command a premium - and, worse still, passengers with 'NOT HS1' have been paying more to fund it!

That is an insult.

Also, they're reducing the old services so will be trying to force people over to HS1.

That is a bigger insult.

But, hey, I'm all for constructing new lines and getting brand new rolling stock. I'm looking forward to using the service to get to/from Kent occasionally (especially when I come in to King's Cross St Pancras!) and will pay the premium. I'd be livid if I was a commuter living in Kent though!
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,658
Location
Hampshire
If SET had reduced fares on the old route and kept them as they were (subject to the usual inflationary increase) on the new route then, yes, I could understand it.

However, from the outset it was agreed that the HS1 service could command a premium - and, worse still, passengers with 'NOT HS1' have been paying more to fund it!

That is an insult.

Also, they're reducing the old services so will be trying to force people over to HS1.

That is a bigger insult.
one of the things that really gets me abit the whole Javelin thing...and another thing...Why do Go Via or Go Ahead or whichever they are have to run the preview service just like the Gat Ex...those 442's should never have been put onto such a minimulisk use / service... and why do the same with the new Javelins...afterall, Surley South Eastern recognise that people will want to try out the service, even if its a one night only time...So why 3 trains to & from Ashford a day...with the rest to Ebbsfleet... Poor Planning from Go Via again...
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Trust me, they are well worth the wait - I'm heading on them again on Friday with two colleagues, :P

I found one thing which I thought was strange was it has a horn on both a low and a high setting not to mention a depot whistle but after talking to the driver of my train, he mentioned that the depot whistle was a lot louder then the loud setting on the horn!

Still, it's very hi tech inside the cab with CCTV monitors covering the entire train, the traincrew can actually choose what area they want to look at which is very good.

The seats are comfortable plus they can be reserved if needed by means of a electronic reservation system aka like the 390s and the 220/221s have.

The seats in the cab, well put it this way - I wouldn't mind taking a screwdriver to them and taking it for the office at work :lol:

Okay it's going to be expensive for what is just a more luxurious commuter train but you will like it, :D
 

andy13

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
33
Why do you assume that there was something wrong with the loco that is safety related and not something wrong with your GPS - is it because it helps your argument? ;)

The 313s (and most other stock) don't have physical limiters imposed on them so they could quite easily achieve higher speeds than specced for.

ha ha 508 doing 87mph? try testing your gps sounds faulty!!
 

andy13

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
33
You totally missed my point.

Did you hear that noise?

It was my point whooshing over your head :)

well mine works more than accurate, thats why i asked you if yours was faulty

Understand ok???
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You totally missed my point.

Did you hear that noise?

It was my point whooshing over your head :)

are ya sure it wasn't that 508 whooshing past at 87mph:lol:
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,952
Location
UK
Without wishing to be too off-topic (oops, too late), I am sure there must be some NXEC (or former GNER) drivers that can let us know if they've ever been able to take their Mk4s up to 135-140mph on certain stretches of the ECML.

And the 313 that was let loose on the fast line felt like it was really enjoying its run! I don't think I've ever been on a 313 that has been on the fast line before or since!
 
Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Wow that was impressive!
Very fast, very smooth and very very quiet. The coach I was in had a very minor rattle, from a slightly loose piece of trim around an air-con vent but apart from that it was almost silent.
The accleration through the east London tunnels is something else too!

The seats are very comfortable, there's plenty of space, good facilities for wheelchairs, the toilets are *massive* and include a baby-change table.

As Peter Kay said about garlic bread: 'It's the future!'
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,548
All going well I should give them a go next week. Although I don't live in SER territory it'll still be easy to catch a Javelin as I can get a direct train to StP. :D
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,707
Just wondered if anyone had sampled the first day of public service - would be interested to know how mant people were on the morning trains from Ashford.
 

1D53

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
2,897
Did the first one out of St P this morning.

First from Ashford very full in, trains out in AM were quiet.
 

Daimler

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
1,197
Location
Hertfordshire
Well, I went for a run on the 13:07 from St. Pancras and 14:05 return. It sure is quick!

The trains themselves are comfortable - that can definitely be said for them. The ambience is light and airy, and the seats wide, with relatively good legroom, and a good number of tables. It's nice to see power points on a commuter train too. Acceleration, of course, was hugely impressive.

However, I did think there were a few niggles. The first I'm sure will be fixed shortly - in the 5 mins before we left St. Pancras, the auto announcer popped up 8 times, I think. 'twas quite annoying. They don't feel particularly solid either - not something I expected to be a problem, and they're a bit noisy in tunnels (but fine out of them). However, what was particularly irritating was the phenomenal amount of rattling coming from the overhead light surrounds (mostly in tunnels) - it was ridiculous (on both trains I went on). Surely this can be sorted out - I could see where the noises were coming from most of the time. It just makes the train feel cheap, something I didn't expect from these things.

Overall though, I thought they were good - the rattles are the only major gripe for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top