• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387 related disruption, inc. Heathrow Express suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2017
Messages
2,177
Location
West Yorkshire / Birmingham

Due to a significant incident outside of our control, there are currently no Heathrow Express services running. We are actively working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Current service information and advice can be found here: Live Service Updates | Heathrow Express

Rumour has it that there’s an issue with the couplings on their fleet of 387s that is preventing multiple working. Is there any truth to this?

This would be the second saga Heathrow Express have encountered where all their trains have been withdrawn from service.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robski

Member
Joined
15 May 2016
Messages
336
Great Northern has cancelled a number of 387 operated services due to "a shortage of trains because of extra safety inspections"
 

Jamiescott1

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2019
Messages
1,116
The announcements at Paddington say "Heathrow express services cancelled due to an issue with the fleet"
Liz line still running as usual to Heathrow

All the gwr Didcot stoppers are scheduled as 4 car today (usually a mix of 4,8 or 12 car). These are operated with 387
 

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2016
Messages
3,199
Must be more to it than just couplings, as it would be perfectly feasible to maintain a service using single-sets. Unless it’s so urgent that sets that already coupled are essentially immobilised wherever they are?
 

Halish Railway

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2017
Messages
2,177
Location
West Yorkshire / Birmingham
It seems like this issue has also impacted GWR and GN’s Class 387s.

The suggestion I’ve seen is that Heathrow Express are currently undertaking the process of uncoupling all of their trains to run as single units.
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,231
Location
Kent
Ouch, that might to mess up Southern/Gatwick Express. Hope it doesn't get 375s out of service as that's the whole south east gone effectively.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,627
Location
Isle of Man
Well that was sudden. I’m at Heathrow now and the trains were running as 8-car at 2pm when I transferred through.

Wonder what’s happened to cause that reaction? Train split somewhere?
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,015
Location
London
Well that was sudden. I’m at Heathrow now and the trains were running as 8-car at 2pm when I transferred through.

Wonder what’s happened to cause that reaction? Train split somewhere?

Sometimes (I mean it is daily, but often it is minor) urgent safety advice is sent around to all operators and it depends when that email/bulletin was sent I suppose.

Did HEX ever get authorisation to run as 4 cars?

GWR/HEX were working towards, not sure if it was approved in the end.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
What I don’t understand is why it’s only the 387s impacted. Lots of fleets have identical couplings.

Must be more to it than just couplings, as it would be perfectly feasible to maintain a service using single-sets. Unless it’s so urgent that sets that already coupled are essentially immobilised wherever they are?
Only authorised as 8 car sets to Heathrow.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,715
Location
Burgess Hill
What I don’t understand is why it’s only the 387s impacted. Lots of fleets have identical couplings.
My hypothesis would be, if it is coupler related, that it could well be some electronics issue rather than a physical defect with the coupler. Either that, or only one variant/batch/MOD strike of the Dellner couplers are affected.
 

Halish Railway

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2017
Messages
2,177
Location
West Yorkshire / Birmingham
My hypothesis would be, if it is coupler related, that it could well be some electronics issue rather than a physical defect with the coupler. Either that, or only one variant/batch/MOD strike of the Dellner couplers are affected.
Or it’s an issue with the gangways, which I would imagine are a more 387-specific issue.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,715
Location
Burgess Hill
Or it’s an issue with the gangways, which I would imagine are a more 387-specific issue.
In which case, couldn't the units simply run with the gangways locked shut, similar to how they would run when the cab is in use? At least for HEX, where there's no short platforms or anything.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
My hypothesis would be, if it is coupler related, that it could well be some electronics issue rather than a physical defect with the coupler. Either that, or only one variant/batch/MOD strike of the Dellner couplers are affected.
Buggy software update maybe
Software is a possibility. Aren’t the couplers themselves the same variant as on the other electrostars though?
 
Joined
2 Jun 2023
Messages
1,096
Location
Richmond
Software is a possibility. Aren’t the couplers themselves the same variant as on the other electrostars though?
Yes but that doesn't mean they'll receive the same software update at the same time. Remember that some electrostars have even completely different operating systems.
 

VP185

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2010
Messages
401
They’ve discovered incorrect parts have been fitted to couplers on sets being returned from overhaul.

Hex to resume shortly.
 

800301

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
542
Location
Essex
It’s coupler related, apparently wrong part fitted while under overhaul, affected sets being identified and sets that haven’t been overhauled, to be coupled at depot and back into service

Nothing to do with software, as they are currently running at least 2 different versions anyway
 

arb

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2010
Messages
498
My usual 8-car 387 Great Northern from Ely to Cambridge yesterday morning was only 4 cars. Only a single data point, might be a coincidence, might not. I've only used Greater Anglia since then so can't add anything else to the thread!
 

roadrunner147

New Member
Joined
24 Jun 2016
Messages
1
This likely explains why my evening Kings Cross to Cambridge stopper service was only 4 cars yesterday, which I've not experienced for many years! This morning an 8 car 387 turned up though
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,015
Location
London
Heathrow Express was back to normal by 1830.
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,190
What I don’t understand is why it’s only the 387s impacted. Lots of fleets have identical couplings.


Only authorised as 8 car sets to Heathrow.
That is an odd scenario. Are there any other units in the country that must run in pairs? I can't think of any.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
That is an odd scenario. Are there any other units in the country that must run in pairs? I can't think of any.
Tyne & Wear Metro units have the same restriction simply as they’re so unreliable that the chances of a single unit failing and blocking the line for an extended period are too high, other than that though I can’t think of any either.
 

800301

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
542
Location
Essex
That is an odd scenario. Are there any other units in the country that must run in pairs? I can't think of any.

It’s only in service they aren’t permitted, the units can run as 4 or 12’s ECS, they just haven’t been certified to run as a 4 car in service yet, despite them recently running tests and installing 4 car stop markers
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,015
Location
London
GWR are still checking their whole 387 fleet which may cause some short-formations on Monday if it can’t all be inspected (unlikely).
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,469
Location
Exile or exile
GWR are still checking their whole 387 fleet which may cause some short-formations on Monday if it can’t all be inspected (unlikely).
Can units that have been overhauled work in multiple with each other, or can they not yet work in multiple at all? This afternoon I was on 387150+387151 (14.08 London Paddington-Didcot Parkway), and I'm sure I saw 387150 when it was being hauled back (by 37800, if I remember correctly) to Reading. I'm not sure if 387151 has been overhauled, hence the question!
 

JN114

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2005
Messages
3,530
As long as the coupling/uncoupling occurs under engineering supervision; with some additional checks - it doesn’t matter what combination of overhauled/not overhauled units are coupled. I believe 150+151 have both been to Ilford recently; but that they’re a pair today is just a coincidence.

To de-risk operations today; alterations have been made by control to some formations to eliminate any and all coupling/uncoupling away from depot. In short, almost everything is running as a fixed 8 car; except the two 4 cars on the Newburys.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top