• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 378 ‘Capitalstar’ Refurbishment Updates

1nvicible

Member
Joined
14 May 2023
Messages
39
Location
UK
Theres a rumour doing the rounds that 378 are coming up for a mid life refresh
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,890
Location
Cambridge
Good. Hope they can also put more in the new livery, which is so much better than the old one.
Very odd how they suddenly just stopped that.

I wish they’d put the whole front in orange not a mixture of yellow and orange as per the current refreshed examples. Headlights restrict that I know, it’s a shame as they’d look far smarter and match the 710s.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,391

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield

Probably, but I stand by what I said, unless the units are at a point that they need a repaint, then it's simply a cosmetic exercise that TLF should not be wasting money on, given their current financial position.
 

FOH

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
768
Saw 378207 this evening with 1 bright orange door obviously swapped from a repainted unit. The fleet could ideally do with consistency - albeit that is aesthetic only.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,890
Location
Cambridge
Saw 378207 this evening with 1 bright orange door obviously swapped from a repainted unit. The fleet could ideally do with consistency - albeit that is aesthetic only.
I agree, when you think how much money TfL have put into the London Overground network in terms of consistent branding of stations, the new trains, among other upgrades, it's unfortunate that the 378s are now in disarray somewhat.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
I agree, when you think how much money TfL have put into the London Overground network in terms of consistent branding of stations, the new trains, among other upgrades, it's unfortunate that the 378s are now in disarray somewhat.

The 378's are hardly in disarray, it's a fleet in two different versions of the same livery, unless you're an enthusiast, or very observant, you probably wouldn't notice.
 

Lewlew

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2019
Messages
748
Location
London
The 378s have just been purchased by TfL. They’re now owned outright by them. So the refresh program could start up again, or be delayed even further due to the extra cost in purchasing the fleet.
 

Jturner98

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
320
Location
Kent
Latest regarding the refresh is that eventually all units will receive new seat covers (same as the ones found in the refreshed units)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Saw 378207 this evening with 1 bright orange door obviously swapped from a repainted unit. The fleet could ideally do with consistency - albeit that is aesthetic only.
Not a refresh door mate, just one from the stores. We’ve got stacks of them, most of them covered in dust
 

FOH

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
768
Not a refresh door mate, just one from the stores. We’ve got stacks of them, most of them covered in dust
Wow thanks for the info. In that case it demonstrates how colour fades over time!
 

m79900

Member
Joined
28 May 2023
Messages
711
Location
North Derbyshire
If they get replaced, which I think would be a daft move considering their financial situation, then could they go to Southeastern? They’re in need of modern third rail EMUs, and the 378s are similar to their 376s
 

PGAT

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2022
Messages
2,133
Location
Selhurst
If they get replaced, which I think would be a daft move considering their financial situation, then could they go to Southeastern? They’re in need of modern third rail EMUs, and the 378s are similar to their 376s
I think this should be its own thread
 

Jturner98

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
320
Location
Kent
Can confirm they will not be replaced anytime soon, they have a long maintenance contract left.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If I remember rightly 378228 is the first unit running around with the new seat covers, obviously I’m not including the already refreshed units.
 
Joined
19 Dec 2018
Messages
167
378205 next with new seat covers........ Overhaul commences next year and no plans for 378's to leave Overground.
 

Thirteen

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2021
Messages
1,902
Location
London
I wonder if they'll change the yellow front to orange or does that require changing the headlamps?
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,909
Location
London
I've always wondered why the yellow can't be blended on the units to declutter the new livery a bit more.
Would add imo a little refresh to them.

Screenshot_520.png
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,909
Location
London
That looks very nice!
Indeed, wouldn't cost much imo for them to update the front. The only issue I can see is they'd have to use brighter or more blueish/ white coloured Bulbs or Leds for the headlights as I doubt the yellowish ones will meet the visibility standard with the orange front.
 

Top