• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 222 withdrawal from EMR and future use (non-speculative)

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,726
Location
Derby
Now that the first Meridian is going off lease I thought I'd make this thread to keep track of the whereabouts of each unit as they're phased out throughout 2026. I will keep the list updated

Update 20/09/25 - 222005 is out of service after tonight and I believe LUMO will receive it on the 30th

222001 - In service
222002 - In service
222003 - In service
222004 - In service
222005 - Last service 1F85 20/09/25
222006 - In service
222007 - In service
222008 - In service
222009 - In service
222010 - In service
222011 - In service
222012 - In service
222013 - In service
222014 - In service
222015 - In service
222016 - In service
222017 - In service
222018 - In service
222019 - In service
222020 - In service
222021 - In service
222022 - In service
222023 - In service
222101 - In service
222102 - In service
222103 - In service
222104 - In service
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,539
Location
Lichfield
Ignoring the reasoning behind these going off lease before replacements enter service, for regular passengers, this must be a real kick in the teeth, especially with the fares EMR charge.
 

Potteries 323

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2024
Messages
62
Location
Stoke on Trent
Ignoring the reasoning behind these going off lease before replacements enter service, for regular passengers, this must be a real kick in the teeth, especially with the fares EMR charge.
You cannot blame Elversholt Leasing for finding a new home for the Meridians.When EMR finally get their 810s they will return them to Elversholt and wont give a toss what happens to them after that.EMR should be chasing up Hitachi for the delays to the 810s.
Now that the first Meridian is going off lease I thought I'd make this thread to keep track of the whereabouts of each unit as they're phased out throughout 2026. I will keep the list updated

Update 20/09/25 - 222005 is out of service after tonight and I believe LUMO will receive it on the 30th

222001 - In service
222002 - In service
222003 - In service
222004 - In service
222005 - Last service 1F85 20/09/25
222006 - In service
222007 - In service
222008 - In service
222009 - In service
222010 - In service
222011 - In service
222012 - In service
222013 - In service
222014 - In service
222015 - In service
222016 - In service
222017 - In service
222018 - In service
222019 - In service
222020 - In service
222021 - In service
222022 - In service
222023 - In service
222101 - In service
222102 - In service
222103 - In service
222104 - In service
If Lumo receive 222005 on 30th will it go to Widnes for refurbishment or start driver training first.
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
Ignoring the reasoning behind these going off lease before replacements enter service, for regular passengers, this must be a real kick in the teeth, especially with the fares EMR charge.
The performance of the 222 fleet has been poor since Hitachi took over the maintenance of them, I doubt any regular passengers will notice the difference with one less set as short formations and whole diagrams being cancelled is already a common occurrence.
 

170UTD

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2022
Messages
284
Location
Lincolnshire
Any idea which three are going first or exactly when? It can't be that long before the other ones go
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,726
Location
Derby
Any idea which three are going first or exactly when? It can't be that long before the other ones go
005 is now out of service and leaves this week, 001/002 are expected to leave in late November to early December
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,539
Location
Lichfield
You cannot blame Elversholt Leasing for finding a new home for the Meridians.When EMR finally get their 810s they will return them to Elversholt and wont give a toss what happens to them after that.EMR should be chasing up H

I wasn't blaming anyone, I said ignoring the reasons behind the 222's being withdrawn before the new stock arrives. I was looking at it purely from a passenger point of view.

The performance of the 222 fleet has been poor since Hitachi took over the maintenance of them, I doubt any regular passengers will notice the difference with one less set as short formations and whole diagrams being cancelled is already a common occurrence.

It's only one train at the moment, but the next couple are due to go within a couple of months, still with no replacements in service, it'll become a lot more noticable...
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
It’s curious that the first to go is a five car unit but the others slated for Lumo are seven cars. Will 222005 be augmented with coaches from another unit/other units?
Yes, all five will ultimately be reformed as 6-car sets for passenger service with Lumo.
 

QSK19

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2020
Messages
1,144
Location
Leicestershire
Beginning of the end of an era! I remember when the 222s were spring chickens when I commuted to the in Leicester each day and still in ML 9-car and 4-car formations!
 
Last edited:

QSK19

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2020
Messages
1,144
Location
Leicestershire
ScotRail
It's not been publically announced here but several people here have said it, apparently they already have training materials there.
I think it’s one of those worst kept secrets akin to when Lance Stroll was confirmed as driving for his dad’s Formula 1 team :lol:. Just a matter of time before the not-so-new news is announced!
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
I had 222004 on Wedsnesdays 2335 St Pancras to Nottingham and it had at least 2 engines out. Might explain why we lost some of the time too
 

tjlrailblue

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2013
Messages
120
are they all configured to 5 car sets now?

so scotrail want them as 5 car sets?

I'm on a meridian now and got me wondering as not seen 7 car set around or 4 car (not that I've paid thwt much attention)

cheers

tim
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,364
are they all configured to 5 car sets now?

so scotrail want them as 5 car sets?

I'm on a meridian now and got me wondering as not seen 7 car set around or 4 car (not that I've paid thwt much attention)
Currently 4 7-cars and 23 5-cars
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,281
I had 222004 on Wedsnesdays 2335 St Pancras to Nottingham and it had at least 2 engines out. Might explain why we lost some of the time too
Just looked on Trust and all of the delay reasons were relating to following other trains.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Just looked on Trust and all of the delay reasons were relating to following other trains.
That’s odd as we lost time between Bedford and Kettering where I don’t think anything was in front of us after we left the 700s behind at Bedford. And we lost over 5 mins after Leicester at nearly 2am - yes it was on the slows but seemed to be booked that way so odd we lost more time there
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,281
That’s odd as we lost time between Bedford and Kettering where I don’t think anything was in front of us after we left the 700s behind at Bedford. And we lost over 5 mins after Leicester at nearly 2am - yes it was on the slows but seemed to be booked that way so odd we lost more time there
Admittedly just had another look and 2 mins between Wellingborough and Kettering down to "No cause ID" and 3 mins Loughborough- Trent South Junction down to "Driver."
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,124
I think it’s one of those worst kept secrets akin to when Lance Stroll was confirmed as driving for his dad’s Formula 1 team :lol:. Just a matter of time before the not-so-new news is announced!
Hopefully the 222s will have a more successful career in Scotland than Stroll Jr has managed so far with Daddy’s team…
 

380101

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2015
Messages
1,141
Assuming they have a career in Scotland...

It's pretty much certain they will. The training school are currently finalising the training package for them. Expect an announcement end of November, beginning of December.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,320
Location
Glasgow
Do you believe the 222s are destined to go elsewhere?
Not necessarily.

Originally, particularly in the aftermath of Carmont I would've been among the first to say it was a logical and likely step in the near future.

The understandable stance taken by the unions after the Broughty Ferry accident only seemed to make it more likely - after all, if you are replacing the HSTs with an existing fleet there's little other choice is there?

I'm just less convinced as time passes that they will see use with ScotRail.

The board has already expressed concerns about having to pay for both the HST lease and a new lease on the 222s.

It was mentioned on here a few years ago that ScotRail was interested but the figure the ROSCO quoted to them was too high, so nothing more was heard at the time.

A recent FOI confirming there was no fornal agreement only increased my developing scepticism.

The fact is, people have been saying they would be going to or at least most likely to go to ScotRail after EMR for some time now.

ScotRail are usually good at publicising fleet changes/improvements when they are happening.

After a number of years, the only development we've seen is an agreement for Lumo, not ScotRail and a continued concern over the cost of paying for both.

Ultimately I'll believe it more when there's a formal agreement announced and not when people just keep mentioning it as though it were already fact I'm afraid.

Please forgive my cynicism, but hopefully I've explained the reasons for my hesitation on taking it as an absolute given.
 

EMU303

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2016
Messages
296
Not necessarily.

Originally, particularly in the aftermath of Carmont I would've been among the first to say it was a logical and likely step in the near future.

The understandable stance taken by the unions after the Broughty Ferry accident only seemed to make it more likely - after all, if you are replacing the HSTs with an existing fleet there's little other choice is there?

I'm just less convinced as time passes that they will see use with ScotRail.

The board has already expressed concerns about having to pay for both the HST lease and a new lease on the 222s.

It was mentioned on here a few years ago that ScotRail was interested but the figure the ROSCO quoted to them was too high, so nothing more was heard at the time.

A recent FOI confirming there was no fornal agreement only increased my developing scepticism.

The fact is, people have been saying they would be going to or at least most likely to go to ScotRail after EMR for some time now.

ScotRail are usually good at publicising fleet changes/improvements when they are happening.

After a number of years, the only development we've seen is an agreement for Lumo, not ScotRail and a continued concern over the cost of paying for both.

Ultimately I'll believe it more when there's a formal agreement announced and not when people just keep mentioning it as though it were already fact I'm afraid.

Please forgive my cynicism, but hopefully I've explained the reasons for my hesitation on taking it as an absolute given.
But do TS have an alternative?

If the unions won’t accept the existing HSTs running until 2030 when the lease expires, and no new trains are going to be ordered (other than EMU/BEMU for delivery around 2031), is there anything else available?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top