• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 158874 at Shildon sounding like a fuse

Joined
25 Aug 2026
Messages
28
Location
Shildon
Can anyone please explain why this class 158 sounded like it was going to explode

The video linked below is from my channel in YouTube and shows the sound I am referring to, I recorded this exact video

 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
Can’t say I can hear anything unusual in that, it just sounds like a either a control wire is a little lose causing one car to power down before raising the revs up or the WSP has kicked in temporarily cutting power to one car. Both cars are powering and can be heard as they disappear off into the distance.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,337
Location
Glasgow
Just sounds like a bit of wheelspin with the WSP cutting power and then restoring it, hence the sudden cut and then revving up of the engine.
 
Joined
25 Aug 2026
Messages
28
Location
Shildon
Can’t say I can hear anything unusual in that, it just sounds like a either a control wire is a little lose causing one car to power down before raising the revs up or the WSP has kicked in temporarily cutting power to one car. Both cars are powering and can be heard as they disappear off into the distance.
oh ok, I rarely see 158s here so I was just curious

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just sounds like a bit of wheelspin with the WSP cutting power and then restoring it, hence the sudden cut and then revving up of the engine.
Ok thanks
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,337
Location
Glasgow
oh ok, I rarely see 158s here so I was just curious

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Ok thanks
If you've never experienced it before, I can completely understand it sounding a bit odd.

Most Sprinters sound exactly like this when they slip a bit under power. Newer diesel units are a bit more finessed, so the change in engine sound isn't as noticeable.
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,651
Location
Rochdale
The sound right at the end is the moisture drain for the air system. A mod a believe fitted in the last few years.
 
Joined
25 Aug 2026
Messages
28
Location
Shildon
If you've never experienced it before, I can completely understand it sounding a bit odd.

Most Sprinters sound exactly like this when they slip a bit under power. Newer diesel units are a bit more finessed, so the change in engine sound isn't as noticeable.
Yeah I only see 156s around here mostly now I Understand thanks!
 

Top