• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 156 DMU vs Class 158 DMU - Which Is The Better DMU?

Is The Class 158 or Class 156 Better?


  • Total voters
    195
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,448
This is all well and good, but what about the 155s? :lol:
What about them? Scrap and strip any useful parts l suggest....

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I've never really minded 155s, to be honest, they are basically the same as a 156 but with a different body.
Different, worse, body.... but agreed.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OuterDistant

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2010
Messages
609
Location
TOPS Area 43
As much as 158s are quieter and a bit more modern inside, it has to be 156s for me. I just can't get along with the front profile of a 158 looking like a coffin, nor the air con not being particularly trustworthy.
 

Prudhoe

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2015
Messages
462
Location
Tyne Valley
for me i find the head rests and seat shape with padding to be perfect but if we were all the same what a boring world it would be
Haven't been on a 158 for a while but when 156s were transferred from Scotland, I had a ride on one. I am 6 ft tall but there was plenty of legroom, but the Northern 156s are very cramped.
Now the ex Scotrail units have been repainted, don't know whether they altered the seating in them, back to Northern style.
 

simon7929

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2011
Messages
724
Location
Stockton South
The ex ScotRail 156s at Northern have the new style seats. I think they are nicknamed 'Ironing Boards'

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

One of the ex SR units now with Northern.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20211021-173058_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211021-173058_Facebook.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

bluesfromagun

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2010
Messages
95
158 - hugely unreliable, dreadful build quality, shocking air con, extremely poor legroom.
156 - noisy, basic, bouncy, but...very reliable and very well put together.
I'm not a fan of either unit but over my own twenty odd years experience, 158s are (at least in reliability terms) far far inferior to 156s.
 

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham
I've always found the 158s really claustrophobic for some reason. On the other hand, while I know I should probably dislike them more, I've always had a soft spot for the 156s...
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
I've always found the 158s really claustrophobic for some reason. On the other hand, while I know I should probably dislike them more, I've always had a soft spot for the 156s...
Maybe you and I are biggish people. Many places are uncomfortable for bigger people. Some shops, cafes and pubs for instance.
 

Neptune

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2018
Messages
2,626
Location
Yorkshire
Maybe you and I are biggish people. Many places are uncomfortable for bigger people. Some shops, cafes and pubs for instance.
I’m average sized but find the airline seats in the refurbished 158’s decent for comfort and legroom. The original seats were far too cramped.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
I’m average sized but find the airline seats in the refurbished 158’s decent for comfort and legroom. The original seats were far too cramped.
average is 5'10". Think where I can put the extra 8".
 

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham
Maybe you and I are biggish people. Many places are uncomfortable for bigger people. Some shops, cafes and pubs for instance.
I'm definitely not, I'm short and relatively skinny. I think it's the high backed seats.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top