• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 151 interior

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,227
Location
Stockport
Best I can find is this old RUK thread….

 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,816
Location
Central Belt
It was just standard bus bench seats from what I remember. 150001 had lots of different types of seats from my memory (assume for BR to test passenger feedback) - I understand 150002 also had bench seats, by the time I first caught it it was converted to 154001 (renumbered later). The seats on the prototypes were the same as the pacers.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,745
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
It was just standard bus bench seats from what I remember
Yep. Interior photo (linked below, it's from the thread linked in post 2) shows 3+2 bench seating bays, with low-back seating style (with the brown + orange moquette)
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,816
Location
Central Belt
I assume, BR must have decided to try and keep things cheap and ”no-body complained“ about the pacers. For some reason on the 150/1 units they decided to go high back seats matching many units getting delivered at the time such as the 317/3 and the 318s. However in the period they were build low back was the preferred seating on units such as the 455. I recall a lot of people complained about the 150/1 seatings when they were introduce but the DMUs they replaced were much more springy.

I never really understood the BR unit policy back then. They often appeared on the diagram that included the 0729 Lincoln - Birmingham, which has a prime time so I suspect needed to be 3 car. However that could just as easily be a 150/0. I saw them lots on the Derby - Matlock. I assume they were limited on the routes they could cover because of both clearance and driver knowledge. They did make it to Cleethorpes (but not often)
 

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,590
I assume, BR must have decided to try and keep things cheap and ”no-body complained“ about the pacers. For some reason on the 150/1 units they decided to go high back seats matching many units getting delivered at the time such as the 317/3 and the 318s. However in the period they were build low back was the preferred seating on units such as the 455. I recall a lot of people complained about the 150/1 seatings when they were introduce but the DMUs they replaced were much more springy.
The two 151s (and 150/0s) were prototypes though, and it's not as if the majority of first generation DMUs had high-backed seating. I recall reading the centre cars of the 151s had some trial seating, so it would suggest BR did want to get feedback on what the best seating for production units should be. Given how few interior photos of the 151s exist I guess it's extremely unlikely we'll see what the other options were.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,429
Location
S Yorks, usually
I rode on a 151 on the shuttle to a Landore open day in 1985, but didn’t photograph the interior and can’t remember it now. Maybe someone on those shuttles would have taken some?
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,334
Location
Glasgow
Another interior pic from Flickr, shows the layout across the length of a coach better:


(ee20213 on Flickr)
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,816
Location
Central Belt
The two 151s (and 150/0s) were prototypes though, and it's not as if the majority of first generation DMUs had high-backed seating. I recall reading the centre cars of the 151s had some trial seating, so it would suggest BR did want to get feedback on what the best seating for production units should be. Given how few interior photos of the 151s exist I guess it's extremely unlikely we'll see what the other options were.
I remember 150001 showing up in Lincoln with different types in each bay. Not may people switched bays, just people like be. Not that you could evaluate well on a 45 minute journey.

Indeed the 1st gen were low backed and very springy. Can’t recall if they were comfy. The units also rocked lots. The 151s were much smoother. There were many similar debates about the seat comfort back then. Many thought the prototype and production units were a step backwards. I liked the 150/2 (Ashbourne) the best for comfort but I was a child.
 

Top