• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clarification of Schengen 90/180 day rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
Hi,

First time on here for a while but I'd like to seek some clarification of the above due to a difference in understanding between my own and that of the Schengen border staff.

I stayed in the Schengen area over the summer from 7 July - 13 Sep (69 days).

I have (yesterday) returned to the Schengen area for an intended stay of around 24 days returning to the UK on around 7 Jan, though have not booked the return flight yet.

My understanding when choosing the dates is that the 180 days was a "rolling window", and official documentation appears to confirm this (https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/policies/schengen/border-crossing/short-stay-calculator_en).

Because I spent more than 90 consecutive days outside Schengen (14 Sep - 14 Dec = 92 days) my understanding is that a 7 Jan return date would not exceed the rule, because I would not have spent more than 90 days in Schengen in any 180 day period, counted backwards from the current day, for each day of the stay.

However the border staff advised me that I can only stay a maximum of 21 days, i.e. until 4 Jan, presumably by subtracting the 69 days of the previous stay from 90. This however does not take into account the fact that I would not exceed 90 days in any rolling 180 day window.

Official advice (see the above website) seems to confirm that I am correct - the above calculator suggests I can stay until 14/03/26 - but I want to be absolutely sure.

If I am correct and I can stay until 7 Jan, are there any tips to avoid trouble with border staff on the return? For example, would printing out the above documentation help? (The flights on 4 Jan are significantly more expensive, thus would prefer to avoid returning on that date if I am not legally obliged to).

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2011
Messages
1,491
You might be better advised to look at a legal forum, but if the official website says it’s correct then you need to direct them to it. Unless we have any experts on here I’m not sure we can advise.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
You might be better advised to look at a legal forum, but if the official website says it’s correct then you need to direct them to it. Unless we have any experts on here I’m not sure we can advise.
I agree, best to seek advice on the matter, especially as the calculator linked in the original post is heavily caveated:

The calculator is a helping tool only; it
does not constitute a right to stay for a
period resulting from its calculation.
 

Mike99

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2011
Messages
868
Location
G E M L
I think there is a calculator on the gov.uk site which allows you to put in dates etc.
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
Thanks for all the replies.

Common-sense suggests that "90 days in any 180 days" means just that; if they mean something else, they need to make it clear.

However, to be on the safe side I have decided to return by 4 Jan, even if that means taking a more expensive flight.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top