• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clapham Junction Interlocking Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcevoy

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
West Chester PA USA
I have been in the USA rail industry for 60 years. I am writing a story for the monthly newsletter of an NRHS chapter, and would like a photo of the Clapham Junction Interlocking complex trackwork showing a train. I can send you an email with more details. My email address is samcevoy@aol.com. Blessings. Steve McEvoy
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,781
Location
St Albans
Welcome to the Forum!
I feel we have one of those USA/UK problems of slightly different terminology. Do you mean you need a photo of the complex trackwork at Clapham Junction or that you are seeking a view of the control 'panel' for the trackwork as seen by a signaller controlling the train movements?
If the latter, are you looking for a current view - which would be of one or more computer screens - or what came before computing systems were put in charge?
 

samcevoy

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
West Chester PA USA
Welcome to the Forum!
I feel we have one of those USA/UK problems of slightly different terminology. Do you mean you need a photo of the complex trackwork at Clapham Junction or that you are seeking a view of the control 'panel' for the trackwork as seen by a signaller controlling the train movements?
If the latter, are you looking for a current view - which would be of one or more computer screens - or what came before computing systems were put in charge?
Hello - I truly understand the language and terminology differences. I am looking for a photo such as taken from the station of the trackwork with a train in the photo. I have seen many good ones. I have attached a more detailed note.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2553.jpeg
    IMG_2553.jpeg
    915.3 KB · Views: 37

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,781
Location
St Albans
Hello - I truly understand the language and terminology differences. I am looking for a photo such as taken from the station of the trackwork with a train in the photo. I have seen many good ones. I have attached a more detailed note.
Ah! I know of the West Conn SoNo tower - I'm involved with the preserved St Albans South signal box and your organisation and ours swap newsletters!

In the UK we have an on-line project called 'Geograph' which is based on the UK's National Map Grid system in which the country is split into 1kilometer by 1kilometer squares. The photos posted on this site are freely available for others to use in return for a simple acknowledgement. The photos are usually dated and often have useful information available with them.

Try looking at https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/TQ2775 which includes the majority of Clapham Junction station.

Two samples (click on the photos to go to the originals on the website):
From 1958:
Waterloo - Weymouth express at Clapham Junction

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The signal box spanning the tracks looks odd as the roof above it was added in WW2 to give protection from incendiary bombs and shrapnel.

From April 2023:
Clapham Junction track network

© Copyright David Robinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The above are 'thumbnails' - larger images can be downloaded from the site. Hope this of help to you,
John
 

samcevoy

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
West Chester PA USA
Ah! I know of the West Conn SoNo tower - I'm involved with the preserved St Albans South signal box and your organisation and ours swap newsletters!

In the UK we have an on-line project called 'Geograph' which is based on the UK's National Map Grid system in which the country is split into 1kilometer by 1kilometer squares. The photos posted on this site are freely available for others to use in return for a simple acknowledgement. The photos are usually dated and often have useful information available with them.

Try looking at https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/TQ2775 which includes the majority of Clapham Junction station.

Two samples (click on the photos to go to the originals on the website):
From 1958:
Waterloo - Weymouth express at Clapham Junction

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The signal box spanning the tracks looks odd as the roof above it was added in WW2 to give protection from incendiary bombs and shrapnel.

From April 2023:
Clapham Junction track network

© Copyright David Robinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The above are 'thumbnails' - larger images can be downloaded from the site. Hope this of help to you,
John
Thank you John Webb. I am going to use the second photo but I do not know the territory.

My proposed caption is:

Caption – Portion of Clapham Junction Interlocking (looking ?north? from station towards ?London?).

Is my caption technically correct? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

For the photo credit, I am having it read:

Credit – Copyright by David Robinson. Used with permission.

Do you think that is sufficient?

Steve
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,781
Location
St Albans
Thank you John Webb. I am going to use the second photo but I do not know the territory.

My proposed caption is:

Caption – Portion of Clapham Junction Interlocking (looking ?north? from station towards ?London?).

Is my caption technically correct? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

For the photo credit, I am having it read:

Credit – Copyright by David Robinson. Used with permission.

Do you think that is sufficient?

Steve
The line at this point runs SW/NE. Suggest you describe it as :
"Clapham Junction from station looking towards central London."

The Photo Credit needs to read: cc-by-sa/2.0 - © David Robinson as a minimum
The details: Clapham Junction track network, taken Monday, 24 April, 2023 can be included or omitted as you wish.

Further information: The tracks are heading towards the terminus at Waterloo about 3 miles away. About a mile towards London there is a junction taking some trains to another terminus at Victoria. Tracks on the extreme edges, left and right, connect to the 'West London Line', an important cross-London link for passenger and freight trains.
The tracks are electrified on a third rail system operating at 750volts DC.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,355
I'm surprised at the use of the term "Interlocking." Do Yanks use that for any junction layout?
We have points (technically switches and crossings,) and signals - and the interlocking which is the bit which ensures that conflicting routes can't be set and that signals can't be cleared unless both the route is set correctly and the track is clear.
is an example of a mechanical version.
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,781
Location
St Albans
I'm surprised at the use of the term "Interlocking." Do Yanks use that for any junction layout?
We have points (technically switches and crossings,) and signals - and the interlocking which is the bit which ensures that conflicting routes can't be set and that signals can't be cleared unless both the route is set correctly and the track is clear.
is an example of a mechanical version.
Yes - you'll note in post #2 I sought clarification about the question posed by our American friend. Having some family in America I am aware there are quite a few differences in terminology - 'pavement' and 'sidewalk' immediately spring to mind. It's due to the way things progressed differently here and in the USA.
 

samcevoy

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
West Chester PA USA
I'm surprised at the use of the term "Interlocking." Do Yanks use that for any junction layout?
We have points (technically switches and crossings,) and signals - and the interlocking which is the bit which ensures that conflicting routes can't be set and that signals can't be cleared unless both the route is set correctly and the track is clear.
is an example of a mechanical version.
Hey, I am 78 and still trying to learn English.

In America, railroads have many interlockings. Some interlockings include junctions. We therefore have junctions, and most junctions are part of interlockings, but some are not.

I am writing about the LIRR Harold Interlocking Complex. It is also a junction in both directions - three lines to the east and essentially three lines to the west. However, I have never heard Harold called a junction.

Blessings.
 

samcevoy

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
West Chester PA USA
The line at this point runs SW/NE. Suggest you describe it as :
"Clapham Junction from station looking towards central London."

The Photo Credit needs to read: cc-by-sa/2.0 - © David Robinson as a minimum
The details: Clapham Junction track network, taken Monday, 24 April, 2023 can be included or omitted as you wish.

Further information: The tracks are heading towards the terminus at Waterloo about 3 miles away. About a mile towards London there is a junction taking some trains to another terminus at Victoria. Tracks on the extreme edges, left and right, connect to the 'West London Line', an important cross-London link for passenger and freight trains.
The tracks are electrified on a third rail system operating at 750volts DC.
John:

Thanks for your help.

The planned caption and citation are as follows:

Caption – Portion of Clapham Junction Interlocking looking from station towards Central London.

Credit – © Copyright David Robinson and used under the Creative Commons License.

When I downloading the hi-def photo, that is the wording I saw. I hope that is acceptable on your side of the Ocean!?

Steve
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,781
Location
St Albans
John:

Thanks for your help.

The planned caption and citation are as follows:

Caption – Portion of Clapham Junction Interlocking looking from station towards Central London.

Credit – © Copyright David Robinson and used under the Creative Commons License.

When I downloading the hi-def photo, that is the wording I saw. I hope that is acceptable on your side of the Ocean!?

Steve
That's fine - the photo credit in my post #7 is the very minimum they ask people to give; yours above is the 'extended' version'
John
 

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,244
Location
UK
That's fine - the photo credit in my post #7 is the very minimum they ask people to give; yours above is the 'extended' version'
John
John Webb - Thank you. I am going to download and use the second photo you included and will give full credit. Steve McEvoy

Just come across this thread. Think we may have communicated privately on here before John, some while back. For Steve's information in the top historical picture of the two above, the structure above the steam loco was known as Clapham Junction 'A' signal box (for signal box, I guess read Switch Tower in US terms?) which was mounted on a gantry spanning eight tracks, although there were a further eight (nine, at the time the above photo was taken) tracks to the right of the signal box as you look at that picture above, one of which the steam loco and train is using. The image you have chosen to use only shows one side of station and its track formation, but is a very good choice.

On the subject of the image you have chosen, that part of the station was controlled by 'A' signal box in it's day (long gone now), and as someone who did work in there on an occasional (overtime) basis, I do have a photo I took myself of the track layout (formation) diagram that once existed within the box. It was one of an identical pair, as two signalmen worked the box on each shift.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top