• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Civic Identity (Bury/Oldham etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,059
Location
Reston City Centre
Do you have any views on the Royal Mail no longer requiring the use of county names in addresses, but just the town name followed by the postcode, as I stated previously.

I don't want to get into bother for going off topic. but as I see it all that matters is the house number and the post code. Obviously I'd stick the town/city in, obviously, but you only really need the post code and house number for any mail to be delivered.

As I've mentioned, there are plenty of places which may be part of one county, but are really satellite towns of cities in another county.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oglord

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2010
Messages
377
Location
Newport, Monmouthshire
The database might use the 'preserved county', which are used for lieutenancy, similar to 'ceremonial counties' of England, which might have been used in the Rochdale example I gave earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preserved_counties_of_Wales

It isn't and never has been based on any other geography - it has always been Royal Mail's peculiar take on it. Witness the former postal counties for Llandudno and Caerphilly for examples.

Gareth said:
Greater Manchester was the only new county, as far as I know, that wasn't used by the Post Office.

I wouldn't look too much into it anyhow. The Post Office is not the authority on political or cultural geography.
No, there was Hereford & Worcester too, and Greater London, and all the new "regions" of Scotland. The problem is that despite the Post Office not being the authority on geography it is a very visible indicator of it. People see things written on countless letters that drop through their mailbox every day and believe it.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
It isn't and never has been based on any other geography - it has always been Royal Mail's peculiar take on it. Witness the former postal counties for Llandudno and Caerphilly for examples.

But in my example (the 16-25 Railcard website), it translates a Rochdale postcode to Greater Manchester. If it was on Royal Mail rules it would have been Lancashire.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
The Post Office is not the authority on political or cultural geography. Bootle, which I consider a part of North Liverpool is its own postal town. Further north, you have Formby, a place I don't consider Liverpool. The Post Office puts it under Liverpool as its post town though. Weird stuff.

Royal Mail is not the authority on geography, but it is the authority on postal adresses!

Although Royal Mail continues to use the term, post towns are no a bit of an outdated concept. Centralisation has meant that a 'post town' has little relevance these days. As tbtc has said, they are not really required as long as the postcode and house numbe ris present, but they do make thigns a little easier if an item has to be sorted by hand.

it has always been Royal Mail's peculiar take on it.

Correct. Royal Mail is only interested ing etting the mail delivered to the right place as efficiently as possible.

But in my example (the 16-25 Railcard website), it translates a Rochdale postcode to Greater Manchester. If it was on Royal Mail rules it would have been Lancashire.

Counties and post towns are no longer used to determine where somewhere is for postal purposes. In reality, an item for Rochdale would go through an enormous mail centre which handles mail from a wide area, before being taken to the local delivery office.

Even back in 1988, when I started, a second class letter posted in Fishguard for Haverfordwest would be taken up to Swansea, sorted, and then sent back to west wales.

I think that centralisation of this nature, which has affected so many aspects of our lives, is just as much to blame for a loss of identity as replacing trains with trams!
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
The thing that annoys me is the number of websites and online shops that are set up so that you must enter a county as part of your address, while at the same time they insist that the address must match the billing address of the payment card. Well my billing address doesn't include a county, so how exactly am I supposed to meet both those requirements at once?

Of course I suspect the bank only actually verifies the postcode and house number so it works in the end, but as a web programmer myself it annoys me when websites think they know better than their users when it comes to the format of the users' own personal details...

</rant>
 

oglord

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2010
Messages
377
Location
Newport, Monmouthshire
The thing that annoys me is the number of websites and online shops that are set up so that you must enter a county as part of your address, while at the same time they insist that the address must match the billing address of the payment card. Well my billing address doesn't include a county, so how exactly am I supposed to meet both those requirements at once?

Of course I suspect the bank only actually verifies the postcode and house number so it works in the end, but as a web programmer myself it annoys me when websites think they know better than their users when it comes to the format of the users' own personal details...

</rant>

Agree 100%.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,451
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Of course I suspect the bank only actually verifies the postcode and house number so it works in the end, but as a web programmer myself it annoys me when websites think they know better than their users when it comes to the format of the users' own personal details...

</rant>

Just consider the number of companies who only now ask you for your house number and postal code, during telephone conversations on many different subjects, as this address identity software is now commonplace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top