• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CIV disruption arrangements (Thus far hypothetical)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,064
Location
Selby
I understand that CIV tickets allow one to take the next available service and to be put up in a hotel at the companies' expense if things go belly up. I have a sailrail ticket via Holyhead Stena to Dublin Port for the 3rd of March. It said when booking that CIV rules apply. Given that disruption is likely if the current weather continues, what does CIV entail for compensation purposes? Also who would be responsible for laying on the accommodation/next service? East Midlands Trains (from whom I booked my ticket?) TPE/VTWC/Stena (with whom I will be travelling) depending on source of delay?

I can't find much in the fares guide about this. Also have any of you any experience of how this tends to go in practical terms on the ground?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
1,550
From what I know of it-from the continent- IF, due to extreme weather, an accident with impact for long time etc. is by that company noted beforehand, there are no real compensations, other as anyone just turning up can expect as ''the best we can manage''. Even the delay compensation (50% from 2 hrs) need not be paid out, again IF advance notice has been given. Just a note to that effect on the station is enough-it does not imply that any known customer needs to be actively informed. (the old system worked not with known passengers anyway). If there is a very long delay to be expected, YOU can forfeit the journey and get all money back. Even when this only becomes clear en-route, you can return at no extra cost to starting point and still get full amount back. (how twiddly British TOCs will be about that or even if they would know about it-no idea).
I do not know about this route, but say: IF 1 out of 2 sailings are cancelled due to the weather conditions, and you were booked for the cancelled one, you can only expect to be transported on the next available one.
ANY refund-or indeed any claim to, MUST be lodged with the company who issued the original ticket and they are responsible for handling it. There is a -quite long- ultimate period in which they should have handled it.
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,064
Location
Selby
Thanks, dutchflyer for the informative post. As it happens I'm on a train to Manchester Piccadilly now, with the intention of catching the 1400 sailing on which I am booked. Stena website says it's running and it's a sailrail standby ticket so I can take any permitted route - which is what the chap at Thirsk ticket office advised me to do, so that should I be delayed I should still make it. Fingers crossed!
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,064
Location
Selby
Well the train bit went alright! Ferry on the other hand is delayed initially by 4 hours, now Stena are advising a six hour delay. Bored to tears here at Holyhead. At least I don't have to pay for WiFi or the grimmest toilets in Wales (two things in life I steadfastly refuse to pay for!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top