• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas/New Year rail travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
Details of services over the Christmas period can be found in the document below, including boxing day services, engineering works, close of service etc.

www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disr...012/Christmas and New Year Media Document.pdf

Quite surprised London Overground aren't running a Boxing Day service. I'd have though there would be quite some demand for LO services on Boxing day, especially as they serve both of London's Westfield shopping centres and there are no engineering works on their network.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
Well, if they could find the staff willing to run LO that day (and the right amount of pay)...

Also, how do you know that there's no engineering on their network on December 26? National Rail don't advertise engineering taking place on days where there's no train service anyway. (Not doubting you if you've got some other source, of course :))
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
Also, how do you know that there's no engineering on their network on December 26? National Rail don't advertise engineering taking place on days where there's no train service anyway. (Not doubting you if you've got some other source, of course :))

Page 34 of the document I attached
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
The LO operation appears to be the only TfL service not operating on Boxing Day, which could be a legacy from the Silverlink era with the contracts of their staff.

Luckily London's bus network will be operating from around 0800 on Boxing Day to a Sunday timetable, so I can survive without public transport for a day.
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
Not only No Boxing Day service but also an early close down on Christmas Eve.

Same old, same old every year - of course all railway workers should work Christmas day and drive empty trains everywhere :roll:
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
And so it starts!:roll::lol:

If they want me to work Christmas day I will but I will be bringing my whole family with me so we can have a proper family Christmas. Although I may leave the Christmas pudding behind as it will be rather potent!:lol:

Why do people feel the need to go shopping on what is supposedly a "family" day. there are 363 other days available but no they have to go on Christmas day to get the "bargains"!:roll:

edit,
When I were a bus driver my company tried running a boxing day service of an hourly service on the main routes from 0900-2000, a normal days takings was about £150, I cashed in £13.50 and noboby cashed in more than £22, needless to say they didnt bother after that. It is simply not viable to run a cost neutral service on boxing day so who is going to pay for it?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Who said anything about Christmas day?
Give them 2 minutes!;)
 
Last edited:

GodAtum

On Moderation
Joined
11 Dec 2009
Messages
2,684
Unfortunately I'll be working Xmas day this year! Is there any way I can get from Croydon to Victoria as I dont drive? Taxi maybe?
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
GodAtum:1295106 said:
Unfortunately I'll be working Xmas day this year! Is there any way I can get from Croydon to Victoria as I dont drive? Taxi maybe?

Taxi or Walk ;)
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,218
BR ran some services on a Boxing Day in the late 70s (1977? '78?) - Liverpool/Manchester - Crewe - Birmingham - Euston.

They were rammed.

Unlikely ever to happen in a franchised system.
 

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
Same old, same old every year - of course all railway workers should work Christmas day and drive empty trains everywhere :roll:

Did I mention Christmas Day ? Don't think I did.

London Overground is part of TfL - the rest of TfL's transport network is not shutting down early on Christmas Eve.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
FCC normally run Bedford to Brighton on Boxing Day but not this year. That means no service at Three Bridges as Southern are running non-stop between Gatwick and Haywards Heath. There are local buses between Three Bridges, Crawley and Gatwick though.
 

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
Is it me or is the annual thread on Boxing Day trains a little late this year? :lol:

As a gesture of gratitude to their supporters the nation's professional footballers should donate their Boxing Day earnings to pay train drivers to work Boxing Day to enable fans to travel to the matches.

That would be in the parallell world where the players actually gave a rat's arse about the fans.
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Do footballers get paid more for working on bank holidays? They'd be legally entitled to, I'm sure.

All the Premier players are self employed,Club usually pays the agent,then deducts his cut. Thats my understanding

No regulations or act says anyone is entitled to extra pay for working bank holidays, its usually an agreement with the Unions or other negotiators.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As a gesture of gratitude to their supporters the nation's professional footballers should donate their Boxing Day earnings to pay train drivers to work Boxing Day to enable fans to travel to the matches.

That would be in the parallell world where the players actually gave a rat's arse about the fans.

Greedy agents would block that.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Do footballers get paid more for working on bank holidays? They'd be legally entitled to, I'm sure.

Why, I work every other bank holiday for flat money, IE no enhancements what so ever!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is extra pay on Bank Holidays compulsory under law?

No it isnt.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As a gesture of gratitude to their supporters the nation's professional footballers should donate their Boxing Day earnings to pay train drivers to work Boxing Day to enable fans to travel to the matches.

That would be in the parallell world where the players actually gave a rat's arse about the fans.

They can donate all they like, I am not/will not ever work on Christmas day no matter how much money is on offer.

Christmas is about the only time that the whole family can get together and I aint working for anything, I am contracted to work any of the other 363 days a year and until they buy my contract off me and issue me a new one stating I must work Christmas day/boxing day when required I wont work them!

maybe everyone who will moan about the lack of trains on these days would like to volunteer to work instead?
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
maybe everyone who will moan about the lack of trains on these days would like to volunteer to work instead?
[/QUOTE]


I think some of the comments now are uncalled for, with so many unemployed &
I applaud nurses/ doctors /emergency services who work on Christmas Day which like Good Friday is not a Bank Holiday.


Bob
 

scarby

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
891
Can't see much point of repeating the old Christmas Day discussion, but as mentioned upthread, who mentioned Christmas Day?

Why should the services come to a standstill on the evening of December 24, which by definition is a working day? The last northbound service out of King's Cross is at 19.30 - and if you wanted to get to Scarborough that day you would have to leave at 16.30 latest instead of 20.00.

As it is, I will be in Leeds that day and will have to leave at 18.12 latest, as for some incomprehensible reason that is the last train to Scarborough.
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
Luckily London's bus network will be operating from around 0800 on Boxing Day to a Sunday timetable, so I can survive without public transport for a day.

Interestingly, TfL are slightly enhancing things this year by starting 24-hour bus routes at 6am on Boxing Day; previously, the only early starters used to be hospital and Heathrow routes.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,935
Location
UK
I'd like to see trains on Christmas Day, but it isn't going to happen even though I am sure there are many drivers who would volunteer if the money was right.

We live in a multicultural society for one, and the other is that encouraging people to use PT over Christmas might help stop people drink driving (in stops over Christmas, the police in Herts can claim anywhere from 10-15% of people being over the limit - which is rather concerning). Then you have Boxing Day where people go out to get some air, perhaps to shop, see football or meet more family members etc.

The problem, of course, is that you can't just start running services as it would take time for them to be used - and in the meantime, it would appear that they aren't needed. People are aware of there being no trains and wouldn't suddenly start using them straight away - and who would pay to advertise them?

And how would the TOC know that the drivers would turn up, given how many might simply call in sick when they change their mind. Advertise the services and you'll now end up laying on buses or paying for taxis.

All of this is why we won't get a public transport service at Christmas, even for those who don't celebrate Christmas at all and may have to get to work themselves.

Fortunately, taxi drivers seem more keen to work, so people can still get around. Therefore, while we all air our opinions either way - another thread is just pointless as nothing can change.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
My post (#22) at 1053 today reads a little more abruptly than it was intended to do and for that I apologise, it wasnt meant to read like that.

I still aint working though!;)
 

neilmc

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2011
Messages
1,070
Well, I can go out for a walk on Christmas Day afternoon and see the Stagecoach Manchester 43 bus trundling to and from the airport. And on Boxing Day there's quite a good service on major routes. I suppose for trains there's still quite a high fixed cost for a reduced service.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top