When I was planning / scheduling bus routes (outside London) I used to assume that Xmas Day was no service; Boxing Day was a special service (basically 0830-1830 for shops/sales); the intervening days were a Saturday service; New Years Day was a normal Sunday service, although starting about 0900 and finishing at normal times.
However, in about 2018, I was asked to closely examine loadings on Boxing Day and New Years Day, to see what service might be appropriate. I was slightly surprised to see that Boxing Day with a special service (but cut back to around 0930-1730) was about right; but that New Years Day was a complete waste of time . . . loadings were half of Boxing Day, with next to nothing before 1100 and after 1700. We decided to go with the flow; run Boxing Day 0930-1730 and nothing on New Years Day at all.
We received one complaint !!
Just to illustrate this . . . in about 1981 I was on an early duty at Reigate Garage (LCBS). My duty was a rounder on Route 430, followed by a run to Horsham and back and then a Croydon and back (Route 414). I started at 0715, and my first passenger was on the way back to Reigate from Horsham . . . about 1145 !! Almost no passengers, very little car traffic . . . of course, no pubs until noon, and no shops open. My takings didn't even pay for the diesel, let alone my (double time) wages !!