Apart from TFL land and airports, what areas are running services Christmas, Boxing and New Year's day?
Arriva Durham County has not operated anything on either December 25 or 26. Arriva Northumbria ran a limited service from Newcastle on December 26 only on services 43, 52, 308, X10, X11, X16, X21 & X22. There is no announcement on Arriva's website but it is shown on the relevant online timetable. As far as I am aware the only service operating in the North East on New Year's Day will be Go-Ahead's Park & Ride X50 as Newcastle United is playing at home.Go North East and Stagecoach Newcastle both ran some services on Boxing Day, on a reduced Sunday timetable. Arriva in the North East appear to have run nothing.
Arriva Durham County has not operated anything on either December 25 or 26. Arriva Northumbria ran a limited service from Newcastle on December 26 only on services 43, 52, 308, X10, X11, X16, X21 & X22. There is no announcement on Arriva's website but it is shown on the relevant online timetable. As far as I am aware the only service operating in the North East on New Year's Day will be Go-Ahead's Park & Ride X50 as Newcastle United is playing at home.
Lothian, Lothian Country and East Coast Buses are all operating limited services on all three days.
There is a link to it from the Stagecoach South Christmas & New Year service information page. If you didn't see the timetable, you can view it by clicking here. Whilst not 'busy', there were a handful of takers on the ones I saw between Aldershot and Farnborough, and waiting at stops through North Camp, at around 1545ish.I believe Stagecoach's Gold 1 operated a half hour service on Xmas Day from Aldershot to Camberley, but the company, as usual, made it very difficult to access the details - all the company wants to know is your location. Well, Penzance as it happens, but so what? I might have been enquiring on behalf of a possible genuine 'customer'. Just display the darned timetable!
Apart from TFL land and airports, what areas are running services Christmas, Boxing and New Year's day?
As a matter of interest, why did you wish to exclude TfL services from the thread? For airports I can imagine it really depends on flight schedules so provision would vary from one to another.Apart from TFL land and airports, what areas are running services Christmas, Boxing and New Year's day?
TfL - Christmas Day?! We should be so lucky - buses and Underground close down for the 25th.
As a matter of interest, why did you wish to exclude TfL services from the thread? For airports I can imagine it really depends on flight schedules so provision would vary from one to another.
Must be quite unique because it's difficult to imagine a place in the Edinburgh area that receives a 25 December service but only has one bus per hour on 26 December. Unless you're in West or East Lothian, in which case it's really the councils that negotiate the routes/frequency and pay operators to run the buses rather than the 'generosity' of Lothian themselves.Lothian Buses and its subsidiaries run a skeleton service on the 25th, and then a more comprehensive service on the 26th. They then run a more limited service on New Years Day, but not as limited as the 25th.
That means my service on these days is as follows:
25th December
- 1bph from approx 12-8pm
26th December
- 1bph from approx 7.30am-10pm
1st January
- 1bph from approx 10am-10pm
My normal service is approximately 2bph 6am-10pm then hourly to midnight Mon-Sat. And 1bph 7am-midnight on a Sunday.
For Edinburgh, yes. And Midlothian isn't too shoddy on 26 December or 1 January. But for West and East Lothian the company (and its subsidiaries) may not provide anything commercially if it wasn't for council funding.I’d say they give Edinburgh and the Lothians a pretty decent service to be honest
The only day I don't have a bus service is New Year's Day. When I can look across the valley to see the trains running to a normal weekday timetable but with no buses.
I live in Keighley which sees 3 routes run by volunteers (one cross town). This is the 25th year it's run. On Boxing Day main routes see a half hourly service throughout West Yorkshire. I get an hourly service which only runs a quarter of its normal route (it normally runs half it's route in North Yorkshire). Unusually this year I could have caught both buses and trains today.
On New Year's Day I have nothing. There's only 1 route in West Yorkshire that runs (linking Leeds with Leeds Bradford Airport). The usual services from the Airport to Bradford, Harrogate and Keighley do not run.
I believe Stagecoach's Gold 1 operated a half hour service on Xmas Day from Aldershot to Camberley, but the company, as usual, made it very difficult to access the details - all the company wants to know is your location. Well, Penzance as it happens, but so what? I might have been enquiring on behalf of a possible genuine 'customer'. Just display the darned timetable!