• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chinley/Chapel en le Frith to Darlington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
Hi all

I may need to go to Darlington on 21st December, I'm actually intending to go to Richmond (onwards by bus of course) and I'm trying to find the cheapest way to do this trip at such short notice. It is a weather dependent trip in a way, hopefully do Richmond Town F.C's football ground before it disappears.

I don't really want to pay more than £25, cheapest I can find is a split CLY to Wakefield - £7.85 with Y-P railcard and Wakefield to Darlington - £21.10 - £28.95 in all.

I will happily get advances if it brings it under £25. Don't want to arrive in Darlington any earlier than 10 unless its seriously cheap though and want to leave Darlington after 5:30, to give chance of getting back from Richmond itself.


Cheers

Tom
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
A day return from Chinley to York (with your railcard) would be £16.25. If booked on the East Coast website, there are advances (with railcard) between York and Darlington for £3.70 each way: outbound, depart York at 0936 and arrive Darlington at 1003; and several options for coming back, e.g. the 17.28 from Darlington. Total: £23.65. I couldn't see any good combinations that included a through ticket to Richmond.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
Using the extra discount that TransPennine Express offer 16-25 Railcard holders on Advance fares via this link, you can currently get the following fares:

Chapel - Manchester Off Peak Day Return, £6.35
Manchester Piccadilly - Darlington: 08:26 arr 10:30, £10.40
Darlington - Manchester: 17:35, arr 19:33, £9.40 OR Darlington - Manchester: 19:25, arr 21:33, £6.95

That's £26.15 for the 17:35 train back, or £23.70 for the 19:25 train back. Alternatively, the cheaper TPE Advances from York might be combined to give you a few more options than just East Coast services.

Just a note - Richmond is very pretty, and if you enjoy walking a walk to Easby Abbey along the Swale would be nice. Other than that, though, there's not too much to do there, particularly if the weather is poor. I might suggest if you're getting into Darlington at 10:30 that you'd enjoy an hour or so at the Head of Steam Museum at North Road station.
 

SeanG

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2013
Messages
1,378
In Richmond, head down to the old station.

Lovely old building, nice cafe and brewery inside it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top