• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways unlimited weekend travel at LU-managed stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
I hold an annual zone 1-3 Travelcard on my Oyster card, which I purchased from London Marylebone station. As this cost over £1,500, I am now entitled to free unlimited weekend and bank holiday travel on Chiltern Railways services.

If I travel on a Chiltern Railways service, using this benefit, to a station operated by London Underground (such as Chalfont & Latimer, West/South Ruislip, Rickmansworth, etc.) will the gateline attendant let me out? I can see them expecting me to touch out (therefore resulting in me being charged for the journey). I know it's only a quid or so but still...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrewkeith5

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2013
Messages
681
Location
West Sussex
I think this has been discussed in detail before and it was agreed that the terms were such that the season ticket had to be valid to a Chiltern Railways station, of which there are none inside Zones 1-3?
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
The ticket clerk at Marylebone said it was valid, so I would be grateful if you could please focus on the question I asked which is how to use it at LU-managed stations rather than sidetracking :)
 

scouseyb123

On Moderation
Joined
27 Nov 2012
Messages
250
The ticket clerk at Marylebone said it was valid, so I would be grateful if you could please focus on the question I asked which is how to use it at LU-managed stations rather than sidetracking :)

Someone's a bit tetchy! <(
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
Quite the opposite, hence why I used the terms "I would be grateful", "please", and a :) at the end. I'm not sure what else I could have done to make clear that that post, as this one, was a positive request to focus on what I didn't know rather than try to assume my question didn't matter and I was wrong to have asked it.
 

postye

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2013
Messages
898
Location
London
The few times I've used them in the past I had no trouble.

One station, might have been Chalfont & Latimer, wanted to see the stamp from Marylebone but the others on explanation just let me through.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,314
Err Marylebone?

You still cannot make a journey with Chiltern within zones 1-3. Chiltern's website seems fairly clear that there are 3 requirements:

When you buy a monthly or longer season ticket or Travelcard season ticket,

originating from a Chiltern Railways station,
valid on our services,
and worth £150 or more a month (or £1,500 or more a year),

you get FREE travel at weekends and on Bank Holidays across our entire network (except for the Bicester Village Shuttle Bus). You must buy your ticket from Chiltern Railways to receive this benefit. If your Season Ticket is on an Oyster card you must also have your paper record card to travel free at weekends and Bank Holidays. This offer does not apply on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/existing-customers#special benefits
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
The ticket clerk at Marylebone said it was valid, so I would be grateful if you could please focus on the question I asked which is how to use it at LU-managed stations rather than sidetracking :)

The gateline at South Ruislip is very rarely closed these days (and when it is the side gate is usually left open), and the gates being closed at West Ruislip is an increasingly rare situation too
 

trevmonk

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2011
Messages
179
The ticket clerk at Marylebone said it was valid, so I would be grateful if you could please focus on the question I asked which is how to use it at LU-managed stations rather than sidetracking :)

I would say you can't use it at an LU managed station, or any other one if you weere expecting free travel. Chiltern customer services have confirmed in the past that even a Zone 1-6 in-boundary Travelcard doesn't qualify for the free travel offer.

With the additional problem mentioned above which affects the Zone 1-3 Travelcard I would say your best hope would be to get the person who told you it was valid to put that in writing for you. Or, just wing it like postye above and hope that there is still confusion at LU stations about which season tickets qualify.
 

mattdickinson

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2010
Messages
605
Location
Uxbridge
I would say you can't use it at an LU managed station, or any other one if you weere expecting free travel. Chiltern customer services have confirmed in the past that even a Zone 1-6 in-boundary Travelcard doesn't qualify for the free travel offer.

With the additional problem mentioned above which affects the Zone 1-3 Travelcard I would say your best hope would be to get the person who told you it was valid to put that in writing for you. Or, just wing it like postye above and hope that there is still confusion at LU stations about which season tickets qualify.

Chiltern have confirmed to me many times that any Travelcard (including those issued on Oyster at London Marylebone or Northolt Park) over £150 that could be used on their services qualifies. This includes Z1-4 and Z2-6 Travelcards (but not Z1-3)
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
Z1-3 has only recently become relevant as it was under £1,500 a year before this year.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Which Chiltern service operates in Z1-3? According to the T&C of the free travel it must be valid on chiltern services. If not then would an Inverness to Dingwall season be valid if bought something like Aylesbury?
 

LondonStatto

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2015
Messages
8
Which Chiltern service operates in Z1-3? According to the T&C of the free travel it must be valid on chiltern services. If not then would an Inverness to Dingwall season be valid if bought something like Aylesbury?

Arguably it's valid in conjunction with a Boundary Zone ticket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top