• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways Prosecution for Expired Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorryfellow

New Member
Joined
9 Jan 2025
Messages
1
Location
Warwickshire
Hi all.

On Tuesday, 7 January, I purchased a ticket and boarded the train from London Marylebone to Leamington Spa with a 16–25 railcard. Upon ticket inspection, my ticket was scanned and I was asked to show my railcard for scanning. However, my railcard had expired on 8 November 2024.

I admitted this to the inspector and was co-operative with the inspector in providing the details he requested. The inspector then proceeded to take photos of these details — my ID, bank statement with details of address and the screen of my expired railcard on the Railcard app — and told me that he will communicate these to Chiltern Railways and that they will be in touch with me via post within 5–10 weeks from now with the next steps.

Since 8 November, I have made 10 bookings (including this one) on the Trainline app with the expired railcard. But to be completely honest, I have short-fared on 4 of these bookings as well. I know that my actions were wrong and am prepared to pay the the costs of all the tickets now, including any additional administrative charges that Chiltern may have incurred.

Based on my survey of the threads in this forum with similar circumstances as myself, I am almost certain that I will receive a letter of Notice of Intended Prosecution in the coming months. However, the address listed in my bank statement (to which Chiltern will likely mail this letter to) is of my previous residential address…

Hence, I am posting this thread to gain some advice on how I should proceed from here as I have been pretty restless and in a state of panic over this matter the past few days:

1) Should I contact Chiltern Railways to notify them of my updated address?
2) Could I get some advice/comments on drafting a letter of response to Chiltern Railways to explain the above and (hopefully) convince them of an out-of-court settlement?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Edit: I did subscribe to Monzo's perks earlier this month but did not activate the code for Railcard purchase on Trainline (silly me) to which the inspector told me that that does not qualify as a valid railcard. I have activated it on the day of the incident itself and will indicate this to Chiltern Railways and hope to convince them that this type of behaviour will not happen again.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dazzler17

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2024
Messages
14
Location
yorkshire
Moving forward you now have the correct railcard which is good. As for the short fares - is this something you did regularly before your initial railcard expired? Because they very well may look back beyond the dates of the expired railcard.

I wouldn’t contact them rather set up a redirect with royal mail and get your post that way if you no longer have access to your previous address.

As for what it will cost you are looking at anytime fares both ways and no money off for paid fares plus an admin fee normally in the £150 region. I would get saving as it’s very rare that payment plans are accepted if they offer an out of court settlement.

When you get your letter post it here (with personal details redacted) and you will undoubtedly get some stellar advice. In the meantime you just have to sit tight im afraid.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Welcome to the forum!

Are you still able to access post at your previous address? If so I would wait until you get hold of the letter and then proceed from there. Alternatively, you could try and arrange for your post to be redirected by Royal Mail - how long is it since you moved out of your old address? You do of course need to update your address with your bank and any other organisations that still have your old address.

If you can't access post at your previous address then it's probably worth contacting Chiltern but you;d really need the case reference number otherwise I fear they will have difficulty in matching you to your case. Were you given any paperwork on the day and did it have a reference number on it? The other thing is if you do contact Chiltern then you must contact their Prosecutions Department, not customer services - they won't be able to help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top