• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Letter of Prosecution - Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamerose1

New Member
Joined
18 May 2025
Messages
1
Location
London
Hello - I have recently received a letter of prosecution from chiltern railways as I had accidentally purchased a ticket with a child railcard. I hadn't actually boarded the train. However upon realising, I had then looked an seen that I had the selection on for multiple other fares (because on the tramline app, you don't have to register the railcard, it is just an option).

I am extremely stressed about the outcome and having a criminal record. I have sent them the below email. if anyone has any advice on this and anyone has had a similar experience please let me know the outcome! I have sent them the below letter!

thank you!


I am writing in response to the Notice of Intended Prosecution, dated 2nd May 2025, which I received on 8th May 2025. This notice relates to an incident that occurred on 10th March 2025 during my journey from _____ to ______.


First and foremost, I would like to express my sincere apologies for this incident. I take full responsibility for my actions and deeply regret the inconvenience and concern I have caused Chiltern Railways and its staff. I fully understand the seriousness of this matter and the importance of upholding the integrity of the railway system.


On the day in question, I arrived at London Marylebone station at approximately 6PM, with a train due to depart within five minutes. In my haste to catch the train, I purchased a ticket via the Trainline app as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, I did not realise that a railcard discount had been pre-selected in the app—resulting in the purchase of a discounted fare I was not entitled to.


At the time, I was under immense pressure dealing with a serious and urgent work-related issue involving a missing high-value parcel. I was using both my work and personal phones to urgently liaise with my employer and a courier service, trying to resolve a situation that could have had severe consequences for my job. This stress and distraction led me to overlook the incorrect railcard selection on the app. When I attempted to pass through the ticket barriers, I was stopped by a member of staff. I fully cooperated with them, followed all instructions, and did not attempt to board the train with the incorrect ticket. Instead, I immediately purchased a new, valid fare and continued my journey accordingly. The member of staff I spoke with advised that I may be required to pay the full fare, which I am willing to do without hesitation.


Since this incident, I have taken concrete steps to ensure this never happens again. I have now purchased an annual railcard, and I carefully check all ticket purchases. I have paid the correct fare for every journey since and remain committed to complying fully with all travel regulations.


I sincerely hope there is a way to resolve this matter outside of court. I am more than willing to cover the full outstanding fare and any administrative or other costs incurred by Chiltern Railways in handling this case. I truly regret this situation and assure you it was a one-off mistake made under intense pressure—not an act of deliberate fare evasion. I am deeply concerned of how a prosecution might affect my future career. I hope you will take this into consideration. I would be extremely grateful for any opportunity to rectify my actions, and I truly appreciate your time, understanding, and consideration in reviewing my case.


Please let me know how you wish to proceed. I am ready to comply fully with any conditions necessary to bring this matter to a close.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,625
Location
LBK
Where exactly on the station were you stopped? At the barriers before you boarded a train?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
Please upload a redacted copy of the letter, as it will help zdvise you further.

Meanwhile:
Do you mean you selected a child under 16 fare or a 16-17 railcard discount?
Unfortunately, neither selects itself - someone using your device has done so, and for a railcard it is a two-step procedure. Chiltern may feel you are being economical with the truth here, though they will probably overlook that.

In any event, Chiltern will investigate your travel history, and although they will very likely offer an out of court settlement, you must expect to pay the full fare for each journey where you have underpaid, plus an admin charge which is £150+.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,345
Hello - I have recently received a letter of prosecution from chiltern railways as I had accidentally purchased a ticket with a child railcard. I hadn't actually boarded the train. However upon realising, I had then looked an seen that I had the selection on for multiple other fares (because on the tramline app, you don't have to register the railcard, it is just an option).

I am extremely stressed about the outcome and having a criminal record. I have sent them the below email. if anyone has any advice on this and anyone has had a similar experience please let me know the outcome! I have sent them the below letter!

thank you!


I am writing in response to the Notice of Intended Prosecution, dated 2nd May 2025, which I received on 8th May 2025. This notice relates to an incident that occurred on 10th March 2025 during my journey from _____ to ______.


First and foremost, I would like to express my sincere apologies for this incident. I take full responsibility for my actions and deeply regret the inconvenience and concern I have caused Chiltern Railways and its staff. I fully understand the seriousness of this matter and the importance of upholding the integrity of the railway system.


On the day in question, I arrived at London Marylebone station at approximately 6PM, with a train due to depart within five minutes. In my haste to catch the train, I purchased a ticket via the Trainline app as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, I did not realise that a railcard discount had been pre-selected in the app—resulting in the purchase of a discounted fare I was not entitled to.


At the time, I was under immense pressure dealing with a serious and urgent work-related issue involving a missing high-value parcel. I was using both my work and personal phones to urgently liaise with my employer and a courier service, trying to resolve a situation that could have had severe consequences for my job. This stress and distraction led me to overlook the incorrect railcard selection on the app. When I attempted to pass through the ticket barriers, I was stopped by a member of staff. I fully cooperated with them, followed all instructions, and did not attempt to board the train with the incorrect ticket. Instead, I immediately purchased a new, valid fare and continued my journey accordingly. The member of staff I spoke with advised that I may be required to pay the full fare, which I am willing to do without hesitation.


Since this incident, I have taken concrete steps to ensure this never happens again. I have now purchased an annual railcard, and I carefully check all ticket purchases. I have paid the correct fare for every journey since and remain committed to complying fully with all travel regulations.


I sincerely hope there is a way to resolve this matter outside of court. I am more than willing to cover the full outstanding fare and any administrative or other costs incurred by Chiltern Railways in handling this case. I truly regret this situation and assure you it was a one-off mistake made under intense pressure—not an act of deliberate fare evasion. I am deeply concerned of how a prosecution might affect my future career. I hope you will take this into consideration. I would be extremely grateful for any opportunity to rectify my actions, and I truly appreciate your time, understanding, and consideration in reviewing my case.


Please let me know how you wish to proceed. I am ready to comply fully with any conditions necessary to bring this matter to a close.
As a general comment I’d say your reply is rather too long. Imagine a busy person having to read this and make a quick decision on what action to take.

But key points of contention included are correct. Eg the apology, steps taken to prevent it happening in future, offer to pay what you owe, request to resolve without court action are there which is good.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,832
At the time, I was under immense pressure dealing with a serious and urgent work-related issue involving a missing high-value parcel. I was using both my work and personal phones to urgently liaise with my employer and a courier service, trying to resolve a situation that could have had severe consequences for my job. This stress and distraction led me to overlook the incorrect railcard selection on the app.
You can certainly cut all this out of your letter as it is of no interest to Chiltern and provides no mitigation.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I sincerely hope there is a way to resolve this matter outside of court. I am more than willing to cover the full outstanding fare and any administrative or other costs incurred by Chiltern Railways in handling this case. I truly regret this situation and assure you it was a one-off mistake made under intense pressure—not an act of deliberate fare evasion. I am deeply concerned of how a prosecution might affect my future career. I hope you will take this into consideration. I would be extremely grateful for any opportunity to rectify my actions, and I truly appreciate your time, understanding, and consideration in reviewing my case.
You could cut this down to the parts in bold, but change "rectify my actions" to "settle the matter without court action".
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,625
Location
LBK
OP says they hadn't even boarded a train. Let's find out more, because if they haven't even done that, it could be possible that no offence was committed.
 

enyoueffsea

On Moderation
Joined
26 Mar 2025
Messages
236
Location
East Midlands
When I attempted to pass through the ticket barriers, I was stopped by a member of staff. I fully cooperated with them, followed all instructions, and did not attempt to board the train with the incorrect ticket. Instead, I immediately purchased a new, valid fare and continued my journey accordingly.

I don’t understand how Chiltern can proceed to prosecution if this is correct, no offence has taken place.

Unless you admitted anything (using invalid tickets before this incident) when at the station or in any correspondence with them to date, my advice is to say nothing.
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
I don’t understand how Chiltern can proceed to prosecution if this is correct, no offence has taken place.

Unless you admitted anything (using invalid tickets before this incident) when at the station or in any correspondence with them to date, my advice is to say nothing.
While a Byelaw offence may not have been committed, RoRa 5.3a would seem to apply here (intent being proven by action not by state of mind):
(3)If any person—
(a)Travels or attempts to travel on a railway without having previously paid his fare, and with intent to avoid payment thereof...
IMO a magistrate might not be fully convinced by the defence that the person unknowingly selected an invalid ticket (especially if they had done so more than once).
 

enyoueffsea

On Moderation
Joined
26 Mar 2025
Messages
236
Location
East Midlands
While a Byelaw offence may not have been committed, RoRa 5.3a would seem to apply here (intent being proven by action not by state of mind):

IMO a magistrate might not be fully convinced by the defence that the person unknowingly selected an invalid ticket (especially if they had done so more than once).

I’d be interested to see if there are any previous cases of a similar nature that have been tested in court.

Not at all suggesting the OP should be our guinea pig here.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,625
Location
LBK
I’d be interested to see if there are any previous cases of a similar nature that have been tested in court.

Not at all suggesting the OP should be our guinea pig here.
The railways have ceased to be very interested in RoRA prosecutions following the SJPN scandal. I’m not sure we have seen many, if any, on here since.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
The railways have ceased to be very interested in RoRA prosecutions following the SJPN scandal. I’m not sure we have seen many, if any, on here since.
The search facility suggests they are infrequent, but from memory, that always was the case (apart from the infamous Northern ones).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top