• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways Chinese Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
I'm not sure this has been covered, but interesting none-the-less

I was browsing YouTube for trains when I stumbled upon Chitlern Railways announcement in Chinese. Original video is from Lossy Lossnitzer



Can someone please explain? I'm a bit confused!
I suspect they get a lot of Chinese visitors to Bicester Village (recently downgraded from 'Town' status ;))
 

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
I love it when they do multi lingo signs at some stations (St Pancras, Southall). It gives the great and powerful sense of diversity and multiculturalism in modern Britain.
 

Hartington

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2013
Messages
165
If tiny little stations in the Aso caldera on Kyushu island in Japan can have the station name in both Japanese and "English" why do we only do the reverse at Bicester? Is it only Bicester? Doesn't Southall have Urdu signs as well?

OK, so I'm not suggesting every station should have multiple languages, given the number of languages now spoken in the UK it would be impractical. I'm actually asking a question. Can you get a map that shows the station names in other scripts?
 

3141

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
2,121
Location
Whitchurch, Hampshire
I love it when they do multi lingo signs at some stations (St Pancras, Southall). It gives the great and powerful sense of diversity and multiculturalism in modern Britain.

As a matter of interest: is the feeling you get at any station in Wales exactly the same, or different in any way?
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
È pericoloso sporgersi. Only found on the doors of unconverted HST sets.:D
 
Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,214
If tiny little stations in the Aso caldera on Kyushu island in Japan can have the station name in both Japanese and "English" why do we only do the reverse at Bicester? Is it only Bicester? Doesn't Southall have Urdu signs as well?

OK, so I'm not suggesting every station should have multiple languages, given the number of languages now spoken in the UK it would be impractical. I'm actually asking a question. Can you get a map that shows the station names in other scripts?

Handforth has somewhat varied signage!

(Includes Chinese and Irish Gaelic.)
 
Last edited:

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,363
If tiny little stations in the Aso caldera on Kyushu island in Japan can have the station name in both Japanese and "English" why do we only do the reverse at Bicester? Is it only Bicester? Doesn't Southall have Urdu signs as well?

OK, so I'm not suggesting every station should have multiple languages, given the number of languages now spoken in the UK it would be impractical. I'm actually asking a question. Can you get a map that shows the station names in other scripts?
563192f5596e9b1c02f1c489432c6b0b.jpg

This is the signage at Southall.
 

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Didn't slam door EMU's used mainly on Dover/Folkestone services use to have the no smoking signs & the don't flush the toilet in the station signs in French (and possibly German?) As well? There were also French anti Rabies posters too if I recall.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,641
Location
Hampshire
Didn't slam door EMU's used mainly on Dover/Folkestone services use to have the no smoking signs & the don't flush the toilet in the station signs in French (and possibly German?) As well? There were also French anti Rabies posters too if I recall.

Seems somewhat appropriate for some of those ex Connex VEPs! :lol:

Moreton In Marsh station on the FGW network is another with Bi-Lingual station signs - English and Japanese.
 

neonison

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2007
Messages
259
Location
Standedge, One hill, four tunnels
I suspect they get a lot of Chinese visitors to Bicester Village (recently downgraded from 'Town' status ;))

The new station was sponsored by the retail outlet of that name. It attracts large numbers of visitors from China and is advertised in Taiwan as a UK destination.

York station certainly used to have French and German signage such as Ausgang.
 
Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2013
Messages
6,864
Location
Beeston (Notts)
Moreton-in-Marsh has Japanese signage IIRC, due to the sheer number of Japanese tourists wanting to visit the Cotswolds.
 

t_star2001uk

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2011
Messages
724
I bet the chinese are dissapointed when they get there.

I had a 30 minute turn round there today and by the looks of the people from all over the world who were queuing to get in to the stores, they looked far from disappointed. But my personal opinion of my first ever visit to Bicester Village is i wont be going back in a hurry......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top