Hi
I have received a letter from Transport Investigations for unable to produce valid ticket on Chiltern Railways train ( the one saying about Railway Byelaws (2005) or The Regulation of Railways Act 1889) - looks like they thin it's intentional far avoiding...
( My story short : Traveling one 4 min stop without having £3.00 ticket, I was running late for the train but I know that's is not excuse for them. Then being questioned by ticket inspector for an hour time at the station, I have answered all questions as honest I could, but some questions I was forced to answer if my answer was I can not remember. I have stated - it was unintentional and If I could I would buy a ticket at the exit).
I'm just about to write an apology letter - not sure my chances but reading other posts worth to try
1)Does anyone know what would be reasonable sum to offer them as a settlement without court? I was thinking about £300 - £350, but don't want to look desperate or offer not enough.
2)Also is it worth to call them up and maybe try to sort it over the phone?
3)And just one more question but it is just my curiosity: Their signs do not say anything about possible prosecution action only about penalty it that legal for them to start prosecution action at all? ( picture attached).
Thank you in advance for any help.
I have received a letter from Transport Investigations for unable to produce valid ticket on Chiltern Railways train ( the one saying about Railway Byelaws (2005) or The Regulation of Railways Act 1889) - looks like they thin it's intentional far avoiding...
( My story short : Traveling one 4 min stop without having £3.00 ticket, I was running late for the train but I know that's is not excuse for them. Then being questioned by ticket inspector for an hour time at the station, I have answered all questions as honest I could, but some questions I was forced to answer if my answer was I can not remember. I have stated - it was unintentional and If I could I would buy a ticket at the exit).
I'm just about to write an apology letter - not sure my chances but reading other posts worth to try

1)Does anyone know what would be reasonable sum to offer them as a settlement without court? I was thinking about £300 - £350, but don't want to look desperate or offer not enough.
2)Also is it worth to call them up and maybe try to sort it over the phone?
3)And just one more question but it is just my curiosity: Their signs do not say anything about possible prosecution action only about penalty it that legal for them to start prosecution action at all? ( picture attached).
Thank you in advance for any help.