• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Letter - mistakenly bought ticket on trainline using daughter's railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilternletter

New Member
Joined
1 Apr 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
Morning,

Relieved to find this forum. Hope you can help. My wife received this letter yesterday - posted 2nd class and took 10 days to arrive so response required fast.

She was going to a funeral. By mistake she bought a ticket using our daughter's railcard which trainline had pre-populated. Although the 2nd para suggests she has been caught before we have no recollection of that and think we would remember.

I can post a draft response a bit later and will set out the facts. Just wondered if there was anything to note in the letter.

Many thanks for the help.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

TEXT COPIED BELOW IF EASIER TO READ THAN PDF:

Notice of Intended Prosecution

We are in receipt of a report, which advises that on Wednesday 22nd January 2025, a person giving your name and address details was spoken to by railway revenue protection staff in connection with a journey between Marylebone and Bicester North, at the time you failed to show a valid rail ticket for the journey that you were making or had made.

Following you being spoken to; the Economic Crime, Fraud & Prosecutions Unit submitted a data access request Under Schedule 2 Part 1 Paragraph 2 of the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR Article 6 (1) (d), to various rail ticket retailers, which has revealed that you may have avoided the correct rail fare on other occasions.

If you have a valid railcard but were unable to produce it to the rail official on the day in question, please email a copy of any railcards you hold or previously held for us to review.

The purpose of this letter is to advise you of the report and of any action that may follow from it, and to provide you with the opportunity to inform us of any mitigation that you may wish to be considered. This should be sent via email to Fraud@chilternrailways.co.uk

The report of this incident indicates that in the absence of a satisfactory explanation, evidence does exist to warrant a prosecution in accordance with the current legislation. These considerations may include whether any charge should allege an offence against Railway Byelaws (2005), or the Regulation of Railways Act 1889.

You are therefore advised to seek out independent legal advice from a Solicitor trained in criminal law and who is registered with the Law Society. It would also be an advantage if they have knowledge of rail fare law, as this is a specialised area.

The company considers this a serious matter, and if we do not hear from you within 14 days of the date of this letter, this matter will be passed to our Prosecuting Authority with a view to obtaining a Summons to a Magistrates' Court hearing, this may be issued without further reference to you.

Yours sincerely,

Asif Ismail DCFM, CFRM, ACFS, APCIP, CCIP, CHIA

Fraud & Prosecutions Lead
 

Attachments

  • Letter.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,132
It doesn’t mean she has been stopped before. It almost certainly means that they have identified other suspicious tickets on her account - maybe other tickets purchased with the same railcard, which they are assuming were also used by your wife.
 

chilternletter

New Member
Joined
1 Apr 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
How does this look as a reply?

Thank you for your letter dated 21 March 2025 (which arrived yesterday) about my journey on Wednesday 22nd January 2025 between London Marylebone and Bicester North, where I was travelling to attend a funeral.

We have a family Trainline account which is used to purchase tickets for me, my husband and my two children (aged * and *). Unfortunately, when I purchased my return ticket to Bicester North for that journey I didn’t notice that Trainline had pre-populated the purchase with my daughter’s valid 16-25 railcard.

I apologise to you and Chiltern for my mistake, as I apologised to the ticket inspector on the day. It was completely unintentional and I am very sorry that it happened. Going to Bicester North was an unusual journey for me so I didn’t question the price when I bought the ticket. It was only when approached by the officer that I realized with horror that the ticket mentioned a railcard. I explained the situation to the officer and gave my details etc. I bought a new full price ticket for the return portion of my journey and can provide details of this if necessary.

This was a total error on my part, and I can only apologise for my mistake, but it is absolutely not part of a pattern. I am very concerned about your second paragraph which says that various rail ticket retailers suggest I may have ‘avoided the correct rail fair on other occasions’. I would be very grateful if you could provide further details of this so that I can check it against my own records as I do not recall ever having travelled on the wrong ticket or being stopped before. The other tickets on our trainline account which utilise young person railcards are for our children.

We are setting up separate trainline accounts for our children to ensure this does not happen again.

Please could you let me know how best to proceed. I am keen to resolve this issue as swiftly and efficiently as possible and without having to involve the court. This would include paying any outstanding fare (which the inspector did not ask me for at the time) and your administrative costs.
 

chilternletter

New Member
Joined
1 Apr 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
It doesn’t mean she has been stopped before. It almost certainly means that they have identified other suspicious tickets on her account - maybe other tickets purchased with the same railcard, which they are assuming were also used by your wife.
Thanks - makes sense. Lots of journeys on there which are my daughter's going to and from Uni.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,359
How does this look as a reply?

Thank you for your letter dated 21 March 2025 (which arrived yesterday) about my journey on Wednesday 22nd January 2025 between London Marylebone and Bicester North, where I was travelling to attend a funeral.

We have a family Trainline account which is used to purchase tickets for me, my husband and my two children (aged * and *). Unfortunately, when I purchased my return ticket to Bicester North for that journey I didn’t notice that Trainline had pre-populated the purchase with my daughter’s valid 16-25 railcard.

I apologise to you and Chiltern for my mistake, as I apologised to the ticket inspector on the day. It was completely unintentional and I am very sorry that it happened. Going to Bicester North was an unusual journey for me so I didn’t question the price when I bought the ticket. It was only when approached by the officer that I realized with horror that the ticket mentioned a railcard. I explained the situation to the officer and gave my details etc. I bought a new full price ticket for the return portion of my journey and can provide details of this if necessary.

This was a total error on my part, and I can only apologise for my mistake, but it is absolutely not part of a pattern. I am very concerned about your second paragraph which says that various rail ticket retailers suggest I may have ‘avoided the correct rail fair on other occasions’. I would be very grateful if you could provide further details of this so that I can check it against my own records as I do not recall ever having travelled on the wrong ticket or being stopped before. The other tickets on our trainline account which utilise young person railcards are for our children.

We are setting up separate trainline accounts for our children to ensure this does not happen again.

Please could you let me know how best to proceed. I am keen to resolve this issue as swiftly and efficiently as possible and without having to involve the court. This would include paying any outstanding fare (which the inspector did not ask me for at the time) and your administrative costs.
Might be worth including words along these lines (perhaps at the end or close to the end so the reader is left with this thought

eg: 'please be assured that at no time was there any intention not to pay the correct fare for my travel'

Good idea to separate out your family ticket buying accounts - but Trainline have lots of form on this forum for leaving railcard discounts on accounts and causing these problems. I'd suggest withdrawing your custom from them and buying tickets elsewhere - they won't change their approach unless people do. Trainline don't offer cheaper tickets than any other retailer. You could opt for the company that runs your local trains (which cuts out the 'middle man') or one of the other 3rd party retailers.

Whatever you do, take steps to note in your own family calendars when Railcards expire - you can't seem to rely on the retailers telling you.
 
Last edited:

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,132
That seems like a good letter to me. Comes across as very sincere and apologetic, and covers the point about other tickets well imo.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top