• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Child Fare Age 14 to 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

kermit

Member
Joined
2 May 2011
Messages
631
When did the Child Fare age threshold rise from 14 to 16? Was there any publicity at the time? How many years elapsed between the school leaving age rising, and the fare threshold catching up?

I just know that somebody out there knows!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,764
Location
Nottingham
I believe it was fairly soon after August 1981, because that was when I reached 16 and I was distinctly miffed at missing out on it!
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
That sounds about right to me. I turned 15 in the middle of 1981 and a month or so later my father bought a child ticket for me to travel with the family to Dover.

I remember it well, because due to delays we were very late getting back home on the return and when he complained, he was given a full refund! None of this Passenger Charter type nonsense in those days :lol:
 

kermit

Member
Joined
2 May 2011
Messages
631
Thanks for the answers! I've just done a bit of Wiki - ing, and discovered that the school leaving age was raised from 14 to 15 in 1947, then 15 to 16 in 1972. So by the maths that they managed to force into my head between 5 and 16, that was 33 years that the railways dawdled in recognising that adulthood no longer started at 14. Puts the perceived delays in reduction of energy retail prices after wholesale price falls into a bit of perspective!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
Not sure there was a particular connection between child fares and school ages - except that scholars could get seasons till they turned 18 (I did), and group travel for under 18s was at half fare (I booked some).

The uniform child age across much of Europe was 12 (maybe still is in places) and in Germany it is 15 now.
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
Not sure there was a particular connection between child fares and school ages - except that scholars could get seasons till they turned 18 (I did), and group travel for under 18s was at half fare (I booked some).

The uniform child age across much of Europe was 12 (maybe still is in places) and in Germany it is 15 now.
You still pay adult fare from age 14 on (Arriva) buses in Northumberland and North Yorkshire.
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,851
The old theory, and still used the last time I enquired with a bus company, was adult fares applied once the child was too old to be expected to sit on a parent's lap if it was busy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top