• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chester to Abergele or Rhyl by bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,657
Location
Merseyside
How would I get from Chester to Abergele or Rhyl by bus? I would like to get there and back in a day with time is visit a family member, having come by Merseyrail from Formby.

Is the 1BWS ticket still £3.70 for concessionary pass holders?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
Joined
25 Dec 2014
Messages
2,754
Location
Matlock
How would I get from Chester to Abergele or Rhyl by bus? I would like to get there and back in a day with time is visit a family member, having come by Merseyrail from Formby.

Is the 1BWS ticket still £3.70 for concessionary pass holders?
Catch the hourly 11 bus from Chester Bus Station to Rhyl and then the frequent 12 bus to Abergele

It takes 2.5 hours one way though on the 11 bus, then another 20 minutes on the 12! - dreadful!

Stick with the train and suss out advance tickets!
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,657
Location
Merseyside
Thanks. Is it possible to use a ENCTS pass through to Rhyl on the 11? I notice on the Cheshire West Council website it says ENCTS passes can be used on journeys starting and finishing in Cheshire, even if cross border. I wonder if this would apply to any ENCTS pass. Mine is issued in Merseyside.
 

Llandudno

Established Member
Joined
25 Dec 2014
Messages
2,754
Location
Matlock
Thanks. Is it possible to use a ENCTS pass through to Rhyl on the 11? I notice on the Cheshire West Council website it says ENCTS passes can be used on journeys starting and finishing in Cheshire, even if cross border. I wonder if this would apply to any ENCTS pass. Mine is issued in Merseyside.
I doubt it as the 11 bus ‘splits’ at Holywell, so although you can usually stay on the bus, I suspect the Holywell-Rhyl section counts as a journey wholly within Wales.

You certainly couldn’t use it on the 12 to Abergele.

You are probably best with the £3.70 concessionary 1BWS ticket.

Don’t forget to take sandwiches and a drink for the journey, but beware no toilets on Arriva Buses!
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,657
Location
Merseyside
So it is possible for me to use my ENCTS pass issued in Merseyside to Holeywell?

I might meet my family member there instead.
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,693
Catch the hourly 11 bus from Chester Bus Station to Rhyl and then the frequent 12 bus to Abergele

It takes 2.5 hours one way though on the 11 bus, then another 20 minutes on the 12! - dreadful!

Stick with the train and suss out advance tickets!
I believe the 11 is half hourly unless Arrive have cut the frequency on there as well.
 

K219UHA

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2018
Messages
75
I suggest at Prestatyn changing to a 13 if connecting is a reasonable wait, 29 minutes then to Abergele, cutting out the faff of Rhyl if you wanted to avoid it.
 

peterblue

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2018
Messages
614
Location
Lancashire
11 Chester to Prestatyn or Rhyl is 2h15m
12/13 from Rhyl or Prestatyn to Abergele around 25 mins.

If you want to make a whole day of it and go on a circular journey - you can also take an X51 Rhyl-Wrexham and 1 Chester-Wrexham.

Personally - If you want to go there and back without spending half the day on the bus I'd stick with the train. The cost saving of the bus would be negligible if you find some cheap advances. Be aware not every TFW train calls at Abergele&Pensarn.
 
Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,657
Location
Merseyside
No, ENCTS are only valid in England, as Wales have there own concessionary passes scheme for residents in Wales.
I saw on the Cheshire council's websites that English classes of valid for journeys that start or end in Cheshire but going to Wales. So I'm asking if this only applies to passes issued in Cheshire or would extend two passes issued elsewhere in England?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

11 Chester to Prestatyn or Rhyl is 2h15m
12/13 from Rhyl or Prestatyn to Abergele around 25 mins.

If you want to make a whole day of it and go on a circular journey - you can also take an X51 Rhyl-Wrexham and 1 Chester-Wrexham.

Personally - If you want to go there and back without spending half the day on the bus I'd stick with the train. The cost saving of the bus would be negligible if you find some cheap advances. Be aware not every TFW train calls at Abergele&Pensarn.
The trouble is I am struggling to find any cheap advances for the journey that I want to make by rail.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top