• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest Fare - Truro to London Paddington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon

New Member
Joined
31 Mar 2011
Messages
3
Location
Western Region
Hi all,

Joined today and have been looking around. I've just come across the concept of split tickets, so out of curiosity I wondered if anyone knew of a cheaper way to get between Truro and Paddington than a direct ticket?

Thanks in advance. :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
You'll not beat the best priced Advance Purchase fares available with split ticketing.

Difficult to answer your query without knowing specifics about a particular journey. Date? time? single? day or period return? adult or child? railcard held?
 

Spoon

New Member
Joined
31 Mar 2011
Messages
3
Location
Western Region
Well I know that if I book far enough in advance I can get a single each way for somewhere between £10-15. I don't really expect to beat that.

However, on shorter notice (i.e. 8 weeks or less) I tend to pay £29.35 (after Y-P discount) each way, giving a total cost of around £60. I'm wondering if I can better that?

I tend to travel to London on the Friday and return on the Monday. I hold a Y-P railcard, I generally like to arrive into London before 4pm on the Friday, and leave between 10am and 12pm on the Monday.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Single or Return?
Railcard?
Advance (one train), Off Peak (not at busy times) or Anytime (self-explanatory)
Date and Time (both ways if applicable)

TRU - EXE = £16.40 Off Peak Day Return
EXE - RDG = £39 (selected advances, £58 off peak day return)
RDG - PAD = £15.50 Off Peak Day Return

Total = £70.90

A railcard would grant you 1/3 off that if you're entitled
 

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,235
Location
Reading
However, on shorter notice (i.e. 8 weeks or less) I tend to pay £29.35 (after Y-P discount) each way, giving a total cost of around £60. I'm wondering if I can better that?

A Super Off-Peak return Truro to London Terminals with Y-P railcard discount is only £58.75. It gives you much more flexibility: valid on any train from Truro on a weekday from 07:20 onwards and any train departing Paddington between 10:03 and 15:10, or after 19:00. Valid any time in any direction at weekends and bank holidays - and the return journey can be made any time within a month. You can buy this ticket at any time, even on the day of travel. So if the only advances you're seeing are the £29.35 ones, for only 5p more it's not worth tying yourself to specific trains 8 weeks in advance IMHO...
 

wibble

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
636
Have picked Wednesday 18 May as a random date:

0926 Truro - Exeter SD: £6.00 Advance fare
1226 Exeter SD - Waterloo: £13.00 Advance fare
Zone 1 Oyster PAYG: £1.90
Total: £20.90
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
It can sometimes be cheaper to buy Advance tickets beyond London (e.g. to Essex - try Chelmsford , Ingatestone, Colchester etc) and then only travel to Paddington.

However, I couldn't possibly recommend doing this as it's breaking the T&Cs of the ticket (Advance tickets do not allow break of journey). If caught you could face being excessed to a fare which would allow break of journey (probably Super Off-Peak).

The fact that you would be changing onto the Underground at Paddington and thus would never be 'caught' doesn't mean that I can condone doing this ;)

But in general, as Indigo2 has said, the Super Off-Peak Return is £58.75 and can be bought on the day, so unless there's a significant saving (e.g. £40 or less return) I wouldn't recommend bothering with Advances.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top