• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

cheaper to go from manchester than stockport???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lddex

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2015
Messages
112
Location
UK
this is just a query.

I normally ride home from work but the thought of the 20 miles put me off today, so I decided to get the train at Stockport back to Macclesfield. Now from picc a single off peak is 3:90, but from stockport its 4:50 as they don't do off peak apparently.

I really don't get this. Being the same I can deal with but more is just daft. Could I request a ticket from man picc to macc from stockport?

I know in the future I will book a ticket online from picc to macc.

If anyone can explain this I'd love to know the reasoning.

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,072
Location
Selby
You seem to be correct, as the Virgin Trains Only fares you are quoting do not have an off-peak day single from Stockport to Macclesfield. Break of journey is permitted on the off-peak day single from Manchester to Macclesfield, so yes, you may request this ticket even if starting short from Stockport.

It's probably simple supply and demand, maybe there's no real peak of travel between Stockport and Macclesfield so no reason to try to price people onto the cheaper trains. These Virgin Trains Only fares are unregulated and completely market based and are done to compete with the 'lead operator's 'any permitted route' tickets (in this case Northern). I notice there's no off peak single ticket routed 'any permitted route' for Stockport-Macclesfield either. It would appear that it's just down to a different fare structure, and you're completely allowed to take advantage of this by requesting a ticket from Manchester.
 
Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,387
Location
Wennington Crossovers
That appears to be correct. Both tickets are 'Virgin Trains Only'.

You can 'start short' on the £3.90 ticket from Stockport.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's probably simple supply and demand, maybe there's no real peak of travel between Stockport and Macclesfield so no reason to try to price people onto the cheaper trains. These Virgin Trains Only fares are unregulated and completely market based and are done to compete with the 'lead operator's 'any permitted route' tickets (in this case Northern).

Which is strange as you'd be less likely to get the slower Northern train from Stockport to Macclesfield.
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,072
Location
Selby
Hmm, true though they probably operate more trains that way.

Please note OP that if you want a return, Manchester is more expensive than Stockport. I suspect this is just a case of most people want returns. The pricing of singles doesn't generally seem to be well 'looked after' at the best of times.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
....Which is strange as you'd be less likely to get the slower Northern train from Stockport to Macclesfield.

Whilst Northern set the 'Any Permitted' fare, XC also run from Manchester and Stockport to Macclesfield just as often (once per hour) as Virgin Trains do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top