• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheap overnight travel through France

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacklondon

New Member
Joined
6 Jan 2014
Messages
1
Hi, as a retired railworker I have been hit by the changes of entitlement for free travel for retirees, particularly by France. :::
I have many times taken the overnight couchette from Paris, often Bercy, to various points in Italy. But trying last year I was told that I would receive NO reduction at all on these services, not even with FIP. Is this true ?

The resulting fare was absolutely ridiculous, and far, far more than a flight fare. But the journey by train is so much more fun and preferable. Have us old timers been completely priced out of the game ? Does anyone know any way do this journey at a reasonable rate ? All information very gratefully recieved. Thanks, Jack.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
Hi, as a retired railworker I have been hit by the changes of entitlement for free travel for retirees, particularly by France. :::
I have many times taken the overnight couchette from Paris, often Bercy, to various points in Italy. But trying last year I was told that I would receive NO reduction at all on these services, not even with FIP. Is this true ?

The resulting fare was absolutely ridiculous, and far, far more than a flight fare. But the journey by train is so much more fun and preferable. Have us old timers been completely priced out of the game ? Does anyone know any way do this journey at a reasonable rate ? All information very gratefully recieved. Thanks, Jack.

I'm not a FIP specialist, but the general picture of overnight travel in Europe has changed. I'm afraid its no longer like the good old days of national railways. Many European night trains are now operated by private organisations or complex consortia, causing problems with grace travel arrangements.

Paris - Italy services are now operated by Thello. Don't forget also that despite the 'new' operator, services have been decimated and are down to one train Paris - Venezia via Vallorbe - Simplon.

The best way to obtain cheap fares nowadays for many European train journeys is to fall in with the rest of the population and use the various web sites to look out for all possible discounts and promotions and as ever to book as early as possible.

For example, Thello has a best fare at present of 35 Euro Paris - Venezia - a couchette in a traditional 6-berth compartment



.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
You might also want to check out seat61's recommendations on night routes to Italy (eg CNL from Munich - but I've no idea whether CityNightLine is any better for pass-holders).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top