• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheap advance tickets on Cross Country

sharpley

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2018
Messages
319
A question. Over the last few weeks I've suddenly been able to book really cheap tickets on my regular route. The route is Melton Mowbray to Nuneaton with CrossCountry. Up to a few weeks ago I wouldn't get anything under £11 for the journey, now I regularly see tickets for £4.60... this includes peak time and weekend journeys sometimes booked only a few hours before departure. I normally book the day before though. . What has changed? I'm not complaining, far from it. This is brilliant value for a 40 minute train journey (by bus it's 2 journeys taking the best part of 3 hours for £6).

I book via CrossCountry (app or website). Just intrigued as to why I'm suddenly getting cheap tickets available.

EDIT. just to add, tickets are adult, no Railcard
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,293
£4.60 seems to be the very lowest tier of Advance Single fares, route XC only, for a journey from Melton Mowbray to Nuneaton. Can only think that quota at this level has recently been made available. Fill your boots! The walk-up single fare is set at £26.40.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
I've noticed that a lot of XC journeys seem to have really cheap Advances available as of the last year or two. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which journeys have them.

Don't get too used to it; they could change their policy/practice at any time.
 

sharpley

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2018
Messages
319
The 7.32 Monday morning train from Melton to Nuneaton is £4.60, the same train but Melton to Leicester is £8.20. Limited tickets admittedly but I'll fill me boots whilst it lasts
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,837
Location
West of Andover
I've noticed that a lot of XC journeys seem to have really cheap Advances available as of the last year or two. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which journeys have them.

Don't get too used to it; they could change their policy/practice at any time.
Especially on those flows where the XC within DfT would get 100% of the revenue on flexible tickets.

Especially as those XC 170s are not known to be carrying fresh air, especially when they send out a 2 coach special on a Stansted - Birmingham service.
 

1D54

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2019
Messages
1,480
Currently no Advances available from Leicester to Nuneaton but they are from Leicester to New St so I've just saved myself the princely sum of £4 by purchasing a ticket to a destination i have no intention of going to.. XC really are a law unto themselves at times.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Currently no Advances available from Leicester to Nuneaton but they are from Leicester to New St so I've just saved myself the princely sum of £4 by purchasing a ticket to a destination i have no intention of going to.. XC really are a law unto themselves at times.

You are not allowed to do that, for an Advance you must either make the complete journey or none of it. There is a risk that this will result in being charged a new Anytime fare or prosecution.

Edit: As @AlterEgo notes the penalty for this is an excess to the walk up fare, not prosecution - but I wouldn't put it past them to try!
 
Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
You are not allowed to do that, for an Advance you must either make the complete journey or none of it. There is a risk that this will result in being charged a new Anytime fare or prosecution.
In reality Nuneaton doesn't have barriers, so...
 

1D54

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2019
Messages
1,480
You are not allowed to do that, for an Advance you must either make the complete journey or none of it. There is a risk that this will result in being charged a new Anytime fare or prosecution.
Barrier free travel that is not needed anyway as onward travel will be done.. I'll risk it.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,382
Barrier free travel that is not needed anyway as onward travel will be done.. I'll risk it.
There is nothing to stop a revenue block being set up between the platforms at Nuneaton if there is suspicion of passengers breaking journeys short at Nuneaton, for example if there are occurences of advance fares to Birmingham not being scanned at that destination.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
There is nothing to stop a revenue block being set up between the platforms at Nuneaton if there is suspicion of passengers breaking journeys short at Nuneaton, for example if there are occurences of advance fares to Birmingham not being scanned at that destination.

And in the other direction (unless the ticket is booked with a change at Nuneaton) the guard might notice.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,570
Location
LBK
There is nothing to stop a revenue block being set up between the platforms at Nuneaton if there is suspicion of passengers breaking journeys short at Nuneaton, for example if there are occurences of advance fares to Birmingham not being scanned at that destination.
Given they can't do anything other than sell excess fares for which they will be publicly pilloried it just will not happen.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Given they can't do anything other than sell excess fares for which they will be publicly pilloried it just will not happen.

Northern absolutely do enforce this, it's most often reported around the Leeds area (typically people boarding at places like Headingley with Leeds-York/York-Leeds Advances). You're correct that the "penalty" for this is nominally an excess, however I'm fairly sure I've read of Northern sending hefty settlement offers for it instead...
 

1D54

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2019
Messages
1,480
There is nothing to stop a revenue block being set up between the platforms at Nuneaton if there is suspicion of passengers breaking journeys short at Nuneaton, for example if there are occurences of advance fares to Birmingham not being scanned at that destination.
Absolutely and I'm certainly not advocating people should be using these 'loopholes' to save money but i doubt most people know they are doing anything wrong. Very much doubt scanning at destination would play a part as many people would have onward tickets so have no need to use barriers.
 

tomoufc

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
412
Is the rule that an excess should be issued written down somewhere publicly visible? And how would the excess be calculated? Cheers
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
Is the rule that an excess should be issued written down somewhere publicly visible? And how would the excess be calculated? Cheers
16.4 If you start, break or resume your journey at an intermediate station where you are not entitled to do so, you will be liable to pay an excess fare. The price for this will be the difference between the amount paid for the Ticket you hold and the lowest price Ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to start, break or resume your journey at the station concerned.
 

1D54

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2019
Messages
1,480
I honestly had no idea that such a rule existed or I'd certainly not have started this with post #6. I've spent the last 45+ years travelling the network on a regular basis trying to get tickets as cheaply as possible and as a regular reader of the relevant sections on this site should really have known about it. The ironical thing is that when LNR release the timetable for this weekend my tickets may well become useless anyway so I'll end up going to STP simply so my travel card and return tickets are not wasted.
 

tomoufc

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
412
Thank you. But according to the new conditions of carriage, would the excess not need to be purchased prior to boarding?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I honestly had no idea that such a rule existed or I'd certainly not have started this with post #6. I've spent the last 45+ years travelling the network on a regular basis trying to get tickets as cheaply as possible and as a regular reader of the relevant sections on this site should really have known about it. The ironical thing is that when LNR release the timetable for this weekend my tickets may well become useless anyway so I'll end up going to STP simply so my travel card and return tickets are not wasted.
It’s very useful to know, I think, because it potentially gives a little more flexibility to advances.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
Thank you. But according to the new conditions of carriage, would the excess not need to be purchased prior to boarding?
That only applies to change of route excesses. Time and break of journey excesses can still be obtained after boarding without penalty.
 

Top