• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Charged for fare evasion, best way to handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy_2000

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2026
Messages
10
Location
London
I have been charged with not being able to produce a valid ticket for inspection. I'd tapped in at romford and tapped out at farringdon for the thameslink. Travel plans suddenly changed and there was a train i needed to sprint to within a few mins. Was rushing so much that I forgot to purchase a ticket at the time. I was trying to purchase a ticket whilst on the train but was stopped by an inspector before I could do this, I then bought a ticket while speaking to the inspector.

Have now been charged by govia thameslink prosecutions for failing to be able to produce a valid ticket as per a letter I received 2 days ago. I have 21 days to plead either guilty or not guilty. For context, I have no prior convictions and this is the first correspondence regarding the case. Best way to go about this?

Details:
  • Started at Romford, elizabeth line to farringdon. Then switched to thameslink, to Flitwick.
  • Ticket was purchased as i was speaking to Inspector
  • Said to inspector
  • Upload copies of any paperwork (with personal details redacted) with your post.
  • As for consequences, I will happily pay a fine but a mark on my criminal record seems harsh for a first time offence, maybe I am being naively optimistic here? I have also seen people receive intent to prosecute letters which allow settlement out of court for this kind of thing, was not given anything similar - though I am guessing this is not a requirement...
Have attached some relevant docs. Any help on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 6eb5b163-91a9-4b81-922d-d0c0b40e8165.JPG
    6eb5b163-91a9-4b81-922d-d0c0b40e8165.JPG
    471.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 2b55875d-780d-4d18-b26b-f934a470e4b5.jpg
    2b55875d-780d-4d18-b26b-f934a470e4b5.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 9d6a5dce-8dbd-445f-a4a9-bf2ab03d2a2a.jpg
    9d6a5dce-8dbd-445f-a4a9-bf2ab03d2a2a.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 219dda44-58ff-4d7b-b5cc-60aecea09bde.jpg
    219dda44-58ff-4d7b-b5cc-60aecea09bde.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 168
  • 3110b413-e70f-467a-ba0b-80256c1421a5.jpg
    3110b413-e70f-467a-ba0b-80256c1421a5.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 7b9e8cc7-393c-4500-8b99-443bd08a801e.jpg
    7b9e8cc7-393c-4500-8b99-443bd08a801e.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 27592586-fb00-4fa8-9420-11a306f45ed8.jpg
    27592586-fb00-4fa8-9420-11a306f45ed8.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 143
  • a6d84cbb-c448-4b54-bf60-7fa1ea6e9c22.jpg
    a6d84cbb-c448-4b54-bf60-7fa1ea6e9c22.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 167
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
If this is the first correspondence you’ve had it’s very likely that GTR’s letter didn’t reach you for whatever reason. GTR are willing to settle almost every case as long as their initial letter is replied to.

You should hold off on returning court papers until as late as possible (making sure you don’t miss the deadline though), and focus on making contact with GTR.

You should send an email marked as urgent on Sunday night and a letter special delivery Monday morning, explaining that you didn’t receive any correspondence before this point, apologising for what you did, and asking if they would be willing to settle the case and withdraw the court proceedings, making clear that you will promptly pay whatever sum they believe is owed as well as their admin costs. There are plenty of similar drafts on the forum, so please try having a look through those and writing a draft for us to review, but let us know if you need help getting started.
 

Mattplans

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2024
Messages
719
Location
London, UK
OP was stopped on 12 August. Since it's speedily approaching 6 months since they were stopped, it's also possible GTR is just getting to this case and hurriedly filed papers to avoid missing the cut off as they have done in the past.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
OP was stopped on 12 August. Since it's speedily approaching 6 months since they were stopped, it's also possible GTR is just getting to this case and hurriedly filed papers to avoid missing the cut off as they have done in the past.
True. Advice remains exactly the same though I think.
 

Mattplans

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2024
Messages
719
Location
London, UK
Yes. For the benefit of OP or anyone else that may find themselves in a similar situation in the future this is the previous case we had where this happened.


An appeal structured similarly to this is likely to receive the favourable response from GTR.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
An appeal structured similarly to this is likely to receive the favourable response from GTR.
(My bold). I’m sure you’re aware but others reading may not be - appeal here does not refer to any kind of appeals process - there is not one in this scenario at this stage.

Appeal here takes a definition closer to “an earnest plea” rather than “a request made to a court of law or to someone in authority to change a previous decision”
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,132
The additional evidence stating the tickets were not valid as purchased after departure is questionable, given the event happened prior to the most recent change to the Conditions of Travel, which now explicitly state that a ticket purchased after departure can be considered by the railway to be invalid.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
The additional evidence stating the tickets were not valid as purchased after departure is questionable, given the event happened prior to the most recent change to the Conditions of Travel, which now explicitly state that a ticket purchased after departure can be considered by the railway to be invalid.
Definitely worded wrong but I think what they mean, and I’m sure they would clarify if the OP attempted to raise a defence by presenting that ticket, is that it has no relevance to the Byelaw 18 offence being charged because it was bought after boarding.

I agree it’s questionable but don’t think it would really have any impact on things at all.
 

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,750
Location
UK
You may want to remove the image of your ticket as the Unique Ticket Number (UTN)/Aztec code can be used maliciously.
 

guy_2000

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2026
Messages
10
Location
London
Thanks for the help here all, this is the draft I have so far. Anything i should add here?

"Greeting/Refs
I am writing with an urgent plea to settle this matter out of court having just received SJPN papers from the court. This is regarding a fare evasion incident on 12 August 2025, for which I have recently received a Single Justice Procedure notice.

This is the the first correspondence regarding the case I have received. So I unfortunately was not afforded any prior opportunity to address this matter administratively before proceedings were commenced.

I fully acknowledge that I travelled without proper payment and regret this lapse entirely. I am keen to resolve this matter and am willing to pay the outstanding fare plus any administration costs immediately.

I would be grateful if you would give consideration to allowing this matter to be settled administratively, without the need for further court proceedings. I would greatly appreciate your guidance on this at your earliest convenience, given the the approaching deadline for the submission of the court papers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Kind Regards,"
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,341
Thanks for the help here all, this is the draft I have so far. Anything i should add here?

"Greeting/Refs
I am writing with an urgent plea to settle this matter out of court having just received SJPN papers from the court. This is regarding a fare evasion incident on 12 August 2025, for which I have recently received a Single Justice Procedure notice.

This is the the first correspondence regarding the case I have received. So I unfortunately was not afforded any prior opportunity to address this matter administratively before proceedings were commenced.

I fully acknowledge that I travelled without proper payment and regret this lapse entirely. I am keen to resolve this matter and am willing to pay the outstanding fare plus any administration costs immediately.

I would be grateful if you would give consideration to allowing this matter to be settled administratively, without the need for further court proceedings. I would greatly appreciate your guidance on this at your earliest convenience, given the the approaching deadline for the submission of the court papers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Kind Regards,"
Put your willingness to pay them closer to the end of the letter draft. People who read these may only skim them so the start and the end are the most important sections.

Given the timing of this you need to be mail it and post it gauranteed next day delivery on Monday morning from a post office.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
I've made some changes, see below, please make any edits necessary and send it again for us to review :)
Greeting/REFERENCE NUMBER

I am writing with an urgent request to settle this matter out of court. I have just received the SJPN, which is the the first correspondence regarding the case I have received - I was hoping to be able to make amends before this stage. This is regarding the incident on 12 August 2025.

I fully acknowledge that I travelled without proper payment and regret this lapse entirely. [EXPAND ON THIS AND APOLOGISE PROPERLY]

I would be grateful if you would allow this matter to be settled without court proceedings. I will immediately pay the outstanding fare plus any administration costs. I would appreciate your guidance on this as soon as possible given the the approaching deadline for the court papers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Kind Regards,
 

guy_2000

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2026
Messages
10
Location
London
Thanks for the feedback all. I have amended as per below. added a few details about what actually happened. too much/little?

"
...
I am writing with an urgent request to settle this matter out of court. I have just received the SJPN, which is the first correspondence regarding the case I have received - I was hoping to be able to make amends before this stage. This is regarding the incident on 12 August 2025.

I fully acknowledge that I travelled without proper payment and regret this lapse entirely. I had tapped in at Romford station and then tapped out at Farringdon to change lines. My travel plans suddenly changed and there was a train I needed to run to within a few minutes. In my hurry, I forgot to purchase a ticket before boarding. This was an error in judgement on my part - it was irresponsible to board the train without ensuring I had paid the correct fare. I apologise unreservedly for the incident and for the inconvenience it has caused GTR.

I would be most grateful if you would allow this matter to be settled without court proceedings. I will immediately pay the outstanding fare plus any administration costs. I would appreciate your guidance on this as soon as possible given the approaching deadline for the court papers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
...
"
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
Not sure I understand the charge, was there a change of trains at St Albans?
That’s a good spot - @guy_2000 could you clarify?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thanks for the feedback all. I have amended as per below. added a few details about what actually happened. too much
A bit too much I think but it’s a good start. I may not have time to get to this during the day today but don’t stress, it just needs to be sent before start of day tomorrow, I’ll be around late this evening or others may be able to assist during the day :)
 
Last edited:

guy_2000

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2026
Messages
10
Location
London
Not sure I understand the charge, was there a change of trains at St Albans?
Not quite, I had boarded the Thameslink from Farringdon towards Flitwick. the train I was on was at St Albans when I was approached and asked to provide a ticket by the inspector.
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
Not quite, I had boarded the Thameslink from Farringdon towards Flitwick. the train I was on was at St Albans when I was approached and asked to provide a ticket by the inspector.
Could any experts advise if this might make the OP not guilty of the offence charged, which is:
That you on 12 Aug 2025, at St Albans City (SAC), in any area not designated as a compulsory ticket area, entered a train for the purpose of travelling on the railway, did not carry a valid ticket entitling travel. Contrary to Byelaw 18(1) of the Railway Byelaws 2005.
 

guy_2000

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2026
Messages
10
Location
London
This is the latest draft.

I was also considering adding something about my personal condition on the day, I was really dazed and sleep deprived at the time which might have contributed to why I didn't remember to purchase a ticket in time in the first place - though I am leaning to just not adding this in.


"...
I am writing with an urgent request to settle this matter out of court. I have just received the SJPN, which is the first correspondence regarding the case I have received - I was hoping to be able to make amends before this stage. This is regarding the incident on 12 August 2025.

I fully acknowledge that I travelled without proper payment and regret this lapse entirely. My travel plans changed abruptly after exiting the Elizabeth Line at Farringdon, and in my rush to catch a departing Thameslink train, I forgot to purchase a ticket before boarding. This was irresponsible, and I apologise unreservedly for the incident and any inconvenience caused to GTR.

I would be most grateful if you would allow this matter to be settled without court proceedings. I will immediately pay the outstanding fare plus any administration costs. I would appreciate your guidance on this as soon as possible given the approaching deadline for the court papers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
..."
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
though I am leaning to just not adding this in.
Agreed.
I fully acknowledge that I travelled without proper payment and regret this lapse entirely. My travel plans changed abruptly after exiting the Elizabeth Line at Farringdon, and in my rush to catch a departing Thameslink train, I forgot to purchase a ticket before boarding. This was irresponsible, and I apologise unreservedly for the incident and any inconvenience caused to GTR.
Replace “regret this lapse entirely” with “deeply regret this lapse”. Replace “proper payment” with “a valid ticket”. Remove everything after “unreservedly”.

Other than that it looks good.

I think for now ignore the discussion about whether or not you’re guilty of the actual charge, at least see if GTR are willing to settle and how much for. You might decide that even if you could potentially successfully defend the charge, paying GTR is worth not having to present your case to the Magistrates with the stress and risk this approach would carry, particularly considering you are guilty of an offence, just potentially not the exact one they’ve accused you of. I do not know whether a defence would be successful, or if GTR could just correct the error and still secure a conviction, or if the error even has any impact, I’m not an expert on court processes!
 

guy_2000

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2026
Messages
10
Location
London
Agreed.

Replace “regret this lapse entirely” with “deeply regret this lapse”. Replace “proper payment” with “a valid ticket”. Remove everything after “unreservedly”.

Other than that it looks good.

I think for now ignore the discussion about whether or not you’re guilty of the actual charge, at least see if GTR are willing to settle and how much for. You might decide that even if you could potentially successfully defend the charge, paying GTR is worth not having to present your case to the Magistrates with the stress and risk this approach would carry, particularly considering you are guilty of an offence, just potentially not the exact one they’ve accused you of. I do not know whether a defence would be successful, or if GTR could just correct the error and still secure a conviction, or if the error even has any impact, I’m not an expert on court processes!
Thank you, have made the tweaks.

I was also thinking back to the conversation and remember the inspector mentioning that I should get a letter in around 2 weeks from when the incident occurred, though this letter never ended up arriving for whatever reason. Do you reckon this is this worth mentioning?
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,132
My travel plans changed abruptly after exiting the Elizabeth Line at Farringdon, and in my rush to catch a departing Thameslink train, I forgot to purchase a ticket before boarding.
I may be a lone voice here, but I don't believe they will believe this. Farringdon is a known weak spot for fare dodgers, due to not having to tap in and out, and the story that "my travel plans changed abruptly" is one we often hear on this forum, so if we here it often then you can be sure that the readers of these letters will also see it as a frequent and unbelievable excuse. Especially as the change happened just after you exited the Elizabeth line. I can hear the cynical investigator saying "How convenient..."
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,341
If you are up against a court deadline it’s vital to keep it as brief as possible so a busy person reads it quickly.

Also. Have you noted from other threads the option of pleading not guilty and getting a trial in person at some future date to buy more time to negotiate the out of court settlement ?
 

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
Have you noted from other threads the option of pleading not guilty and getting a trial in person at some future date to buy more time to negotiate the out of court settlement ?
Or I believe pleading guilty but asking for an in person hearing has the same effect without forfeiting the discount for an early guilty plea?
 

guy_2000

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2026
Messages
10
Location
London
I may be a lone voice here, but I don't believe they will believe this. Farringdon is a known weak spot for fare dodgers, due to not having to tap in and out, and the story that "my travel plans changed abruptly" is one we often hear on this forum, so if we here it often then you can be sure that the readers of these letters will also see it as a frequent and unbelievable excuse. Especially as the change happened just after you exited the Elizabeth line. I can hear the cynical investigator saying "How convenient..."
Yeah understandable. I should phrase it differently then I guess? I was rushing and got onto the train without remembering a ticket is the reality of the situation, so not sure what to say...

I'm not particularly trying to plead innocence here, it was my mistake. I just wanted the chance to settle out of court like others generally do
Or I believe pleading guilty but asking for an in person hearing has the same effect without forfeiting the discount for an early guilty plea?
I see. But pleading guilty will get it on my criminal record as far as I know? which is the main thing I am concerned about, more so than any amount of money really.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,617
Location
LBK
Just don't explain the mechanics of the offence. GTR know people use Farringdon to enter and exit the system ticketless, having paid only a contactless fare.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,341
Or I believe pleading guilty but asking for an in person hearing has the same effect without forfeiting the discount for an early guilty plea?
Thanks.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Yeah understandable. I should phrase it differently then I guess? I was rushing and got onto the train without remembering a ticket is the reality of the situation, so not sure what to say...

I'm not particularly trying to plead innocence here, it was my mistake. I just wanted the chance to settle out of court like others generally do

I see. But pleading guilty will get it on my criminal record as far as I know? which is the main thing I am concerned about, more so than any amount of money really.
The plea isn’t critical to the situation. It’s a way to get the court case postponed time wise to secure more time to request the out of court settlement you mention. And then the court case is withdrawn.

If they then actively refused to settle out of court then that’s a different matter. But I’m assuming they haven’t written to you to state that as yet.

So it’s a way to buy the time to have that dialogue if needed.
 
Last edited:

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,326
Location
Reading
It is unlikely to make the slightest bit of difference.
As we see so regularly, it's wrongly worded, but if this was pointed out to the court, it's likely it would just allow an amendment.

More interesting though, if you accept that the alleged offence happened at Farringdon rather than St. Albans City, is the unresolved question I raised previously of the interplay between NR byelaws and TfL byelaws.

Is this particular use of NR byelaw 18 at "Farringdon <lu>" valid?

Do both sets of byelaws apply simultaneously?
If TfL byelaws apply at Farringdon, then so does TfL's Penalty Fares Scheme, under which Farringdon has a compulsory ticket area.

"compulsory ticket area" means any part of the railway identified by a notice stating that no person may enter there without being in possession of a valid ticket;

If a person is inspected on the platform before boarding that particular train and has no ticket, can a TfL PF be validly issued, regardless of the fact they are not intending to catch an Elizabeth Line or London Underground service?

Under the NR byelaws:

“compulsory ticket area” means any area designated as such under a Penalty Fares Scheme and identified by a notice to this effect.

Then given that the area is designated a compulsory ticket area under the TfL Penalty Fares Scheme, does that not render byelaw 18 inapplicable meaning byelaw 17 should be used instead (for which no fine can be imposed)?

(I think it was pretty clear that when boarding at a station with any form of CTA, it was intended policy that PFs would be imposed in place of byelaw prosecutions that could not result in a fine.)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top