• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chapel-en-le-Frith (CEF) to London Terminals - Sat 4th Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
Hoping to go down to London on Sat 4th December from my home in Chapel en le Frith (CEF) I want to be down there before 10 am. I'm hopefully going to three football matches in London that day, a youth game in the morning, game in the afternoon the Millwall v Scunthorpe Utd at 17:20.

Want to depart South Bermondsey after 19:10.

Have a Y-P Railcard. Whats the cheapest I can do it for or will have to be an OP Return?

Tom.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
I don't know about fares, but you're going to have trouble with that itinery. The NRE planner won't get you to South Bermondsey by 10am without leaving the night before. If you switch to New Cross Gate (another popular station for Millwall fans) then you can just do it by leaving on the 0603 from CEF. Similarly the evening trip is dodgy as you will struggle to get the last train to CEF. You need to be out of New Cross Gate on the 1904. Unhelpfully you could get the 1921 from South Bermondsey. I think the best bet will be to get the destination of the London end to be a Z1-2 travelcard.
 

taxidave

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
119
I think your plans are a bit too ambitious, the matches in London in the afternoon are...
Arsenal v Fulham
Chelsea v Everton
Brentford v Notts County
Dag & Red v Huddersfield
Leyton O v Carlisle
....and you certainly wont get from any of those grounds to Millwall by 17.20
I of course do not know what youth game you intend to watch in the morning.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
Have a Y-P Railcard. Whats the cheapest I can do it for or will have to be an OP Return?.
Technically, there isn't an OP Return (OP is the code for Super Off Peak - thanks to simplification ;)) but there is an Off Peak Return (SVR) priced at £43.70 to London Terminals (With a railcard). This is only £1.90 more to South Bermondsey and includes 2 x cross-London transfers, although depending on where else in London you are visiting this may not be sufficient and you may require a Travelcard.

Splitting doesn't really work, that SVR is actually reasonably priced. Milton Keynes is only a few quid less at £37.75 and the Manchester trains are non-stop from Stoke. Catching London Midland can reduce the fare significantly from stations like Crewe & Stoke, less so from further afield, but the time penalty is too great for your requirements.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
I only wanted to be in central London for as early as I could. But seeing as there are no advance fares I don't think I'm going to bother and stay in the North.
 

Lad Brookes

Member
Joined
9 Nov 2010
Messages
202
Best I can come up with is a CDR Chapel-en-le-Frith to Stockport and what seems to be a Saturday Day Travelcard or Super Off Peak Day Travelcard from there.

CDR CEF - SPT (with Y-P Railcard) £4.45
WDT SPT - Zones 1-6 (no railcard discount) £32.40

Total £37.85.

According to the Chiltern Railways booking engine, (which I usually use) http://tickets.chilternrailways.co.uk/ch/en/JourneyPlanning/MixingDeck, the travelcard (which is quota controlled on the outward, though you can get any Virgin service that day for the return) is currently available for the following trains with connections from CEF:
(all in format dep CEF-arr SPT; dep SPT-arr EUS)
0633-0712; 0723-0923
0733-0812; 0823-1042
0833-0912; 0923-1123
0938-1012; 1023-1223

Which games have you planned for the morning/afternoon? I'll be ground hopping in Belgium that weekend (probably somewhere in the West Flanders regional league). :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top