• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing from TL to EL at Farringdon - tap..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
So I went from St Pancras to Stratford via Thameslink and Elizabeth Line, changing between the two at Farringdon.
There’s an oyster reader there that says to touch if changing between national rail and EL, which I was, so I did. The reader said “Exit” - so what happens when I now touch out at Stratford? I don’t quite understand the system…!
Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
This is a rather misleading sign. You only should tap there if using a paper ticket for your Thameslink journey and Oyster/Contactless for your onward journey (or vice-versa). Nevertheless as it's set to a continuation exit simply touch out at the barriers at Stratford normally and all will be fine.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,776
You only should tap there if using a paper ticket for your Thameslink journey and Oyster/Contactless for your onward journey (or vice-versa).
Or if using KeyGo or a smartcard ticket and switching to Oyster/contactless.
 
Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
Ah ok that makes sense, yes that’s a bit misleading :lol: thanks for the explanation
 

zero

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
1,612
If you are on oyster and you tap at farringdon, RPIs will regard you as having no ticket from then on, even though it will be fine when you touch out properly later
 

swing

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2023
Messages
60
Location
North Herts
Or if using KeyGo or a smartcard ticket and switching to Oyster/contactless.
As an aside, if you are using KeyGo, am I right that you are able to use the same yellow card reader to start / finish the KeyGo element of the journey (I know in the past I have gone up to and out of the gateline to tap out on KeyGo, and then come back through the gateline to tap in for Oyster)?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,776
As an aside, if you are using KeyGo, am I right that you are able to use the same yellow card reader to start / finish the KeyGo element of the journey (I know in the past I have gone up to and out of the gateline to tap out on KeyGo, and then come back through the gateline to tap in for Oyster)?
That's correct, I do it quite a bit. Just tap each card on the same reader, and the job's done. KeyGo will register on any of the readers at Farringdon, so it makes it really simple.
 

Alex365Dash

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2019
Messages
725
Location
Sussex
If you are on oyster and you tap at farringdon, RPIs will regard you as having no ticket from then on, even though it will be fine when you touch out properly later
I believe this only applies to National Rail and not London Underground RPIs. Given the mess TfL has gotten themselves into with the Elizabeth line, I wouldn’t have a clue whether it applies there.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
I believe this only applies to National Rail and not London Underground RPIs. Given the mess TfL has gotten themselves into with the Elizabeth line, I wouldn’t have a clue whether it applies there.
That reminds me - maybe off topic but are they not planning to put pink readers in a Farringdon? I understand there are some journeys that you could be over / undercharged unless you tap in / out at Farringdon.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
That reminds me - maybe off topic but are they not planning to put pink readers in a Farringdon? I understand there are some journeys that you could be over / undercharged unless you tap in / out at Farringdon.

Pink readers were normally about using a route not via Z1 for a cheaper fare, which I don't think would apply here?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
As an aside, if you are using KeyGo, am I right that you are able to use the same yellow card reader to start / finish the KeyGo element of the journey (I know in the past I have gone up to and out of the gateline to tap out on KeyGo, and then come back through the gateline to tap in for Oyster)?
Beware that although KeyGo appears to work in this way on the standalone readers at Farringdon it does not work on the standalone readers at Finsbury Park (well it didn’t when I tried it about a month ago). I had to exit the station via the gateline using KeyGo and re-enter using Oyster.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
It does not work on the standalone readers at Finsbury Park (well it didn’t when I tried it about a month ago). I had to exit the station via the gateline using KeyGo and re-enter using Oyster.
That could be because Finsbury Park is still two separate stations and the validators are attached to the LU one. Did you use the NR gates by the bus station or the new LU entrance the other side?
 

swing

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2023
Messages
60
Location
North Herts
Beware that although KeyGo appears to work in this way on the standalone readers at Farringdon it does not work on the standalone readers at Finsbury Park (well it didn’t when I tried it about a month ago). I had to exit the station via the gateline using KeyGo and re-enter using Oyster.
Thanks for the clarification, which whilst I don't often interchange at Finsbury Park, I have taken note of for future travel.
 

BigB

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2018
Messages
343
Location
Scotland
Before my head explodes, can anyone advise whether I would need to tap at these readers if travelling St Pancras International - Brentwood via TL and EL using contactless?
Does it make any difference in cost for example?

Thanks
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Before my head explodes, can anyone advise whether I would need to tap at these readers if travelling St Pancras International - Brentwood via TL and EL using contactless?
Does it make any difference in cost for example?

Thanks
You just tap in at St Pancras and out at Brentwood.
 

swing

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2023
Messages
60
Location
North Herts
Before my head explodes, can anyone advise whether I would need to tap at these readers if travelling St Pancras International - Brentwood via TL and EL using contactless?
Does it make any difference in cost for example?
If you are completing the whole journey via contactless with TfL, no, you do not need to tap on these standalone readers at Farringdon. Tapping is not advised (for reasons already mentioned in this thread), but would not change the cost either way.
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,782
Before my head explodes, can anyone advise whether I would need to tap at these readers if travelling St Pancras International - Brentwood via TL and EL using contactless?
Does it make any difference in cost for example?

Thanks
If you take a wrong turning at Farringdon and find yourself in the Underground ticket hall you can exit the station and reenter through the Elizabeth Line / Thameslink ticket hall on the opposite side of the road without penalty.
 

BigB

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2018
Messages
343
Location
Scotland
Thanks for the replies, that was what I hoped would be the case and good to have it confirmed!
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
That could be because Finsbury Park is still two separate stations and the validators are attached to the LU one. Did you use the NR gates by the bus station or the new LU entrance the other side?
I used the NR gates.
 

KatieLouLou

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
58
Thanks for the clarification, which whilst I don't often interchange at Finsbury Park, I have taken note of for future travel.
Finsbury Park is often temperamental, but at the moment KeyGo seems to working fine on all the standalone readers in the subway that I have tried recently... even so, when the ones near platform 1 and 2 and the southbound underground lines are playing up, the one at the other end by the northbound underground stairs seems to always be OK...
 

huntsathome

New Member
Joined
19 Dec 2023
Messages
1
Location
Ruskington
I tapped in and out on separate readers because I thought I had to tap out of TL and into EL. The result was it exited me from my journey from Mitcham Eastfields. When I then got to Custom House it said I had a missing tap in.
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
I tapped in and out on separate readers because I thought I had to tap out of TL and into EL. The result was it exited me from my journey from Mitcham Eastfields. When I then got to Custom House it said I had a missing tap in.
The poster at Farringdon is misleading, unlike the readers at Highbury & Islington which have a label stating "National Rail ticket holders only".
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
I tapped in and out on separate readers because I thought I had to tap out of TL and into EL. The result was it exited me from my journey from Mitcham Eastfields. When I then got to Custom House it said I had a missing tap in.
Argggghhh!

I really hoped that they'd fixed this bug. Can you paste your journey history here so I can raise it with TfL. Include the date, but not your personal details.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I used the NR gates.
Thanks. That would be expected to work.
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,893
Whenever I take a journey which involves switching between tube and Thameslink at Farringdon I never bother tapping as you can access the tube platforms from the Thameslink platforms, and vice versa, without going through a gateline. Presumably this doesn’t make any difference to the fare charged?
 

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
Whenever I take a journey which involves switching between tube and Thameslink at Farringdon I never bother tapping as you can access the tube platforms from the Thameslink platforms, and vice versa, without going through a gateline. Presumably this doesn’t make any difference to the fare charged?
As long as you're already tapped in. You're not supposed to tap on a yellow reader again until you leave the system, unless you have to go through a gateline (unless you're changing to or from a tram at Wimbledon).
If you're using a paper ticket for Thameslink which isn't valid past Farringdon, then you do need to tap in at Farringdon
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,776
Whenever I take a journey which involves switching between tube and Thameslink at Farringdon I never bother tapping as you can access the tube platforms from the Thameslink platforms, and vice versa, without going through a gateline. Presumably this doesn’t make any difference to the fare charged?
It depends where you are traveling to on Thameslink - if your destination is within the Oyster/contactless area you don't need to tap in intermediately.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top