• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing career to rolling stock technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oleks1992

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2021
Messages
10
Location
UK
Hi everyone, I'd like to find out how to go about changing my career path to rolling stock technician. Hopefully someone on here has successfully done it and would be able to share the advice!
I've been a vehicle technician working for main dealers for the past 12 years, I'm well clued up about mechanical and electrical aspects of the trade and I'm pretty good with diagnostic side of things. What would be the best way for me to transition to the rolling stock? I've always been a great fan of trains and would be an ideal career change for me.
Thank you in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
Hey there - you've certainly got the right skill set.

The best place to look is on any Train Operating Company (TOC) websites as they will hire these sorts of roles regularly from their own depots. In addition some manufacturers (Hitachi / Siemens / Bombardier etc.) run their own depots and therefore adverts are more likely to be on their websites.

Based on your location, SWR are probably the best bet, although GWR at Reading might be possible, as might Southern (at a push). It will be shift work after all, often days/nights.
 

Oleks1992

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2021
Messages
10
Location
UK
Hey there - you've certainly got the right skill set.

The best place to look is on any Train Operating Company (TOC) websites as they will hire these sorts of roles regularly from their own depots. In addition some manufacturers (Hitachi / Siemens / Bombardier etc.) run their own depots and therefore adverts are more likely to be on their websites.

Based on your location, SWR are probably the best bet, although GWR at Reading might be possible, as might Southern (at a push). It will be shift work after all, often days/nights.
Thank you for informative reply! Do you know if there's much difference between a fitter and a technician?
 
Joined
18 Mar 2016
Messages
23
TfL also advertise Train Maintainer from time to time. I’d advise keeping a regular eye on the TfL careers website
 

Jlob2804

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2019
Messages
69
Thank you for informative reply! Do you know if there's much difference between a fitter and a technician?
I always thought that fitter was shorthand for technician, but technician is the official title. Might be wrong. There might be small differences in T&C's or something but they'd do the same or very similar jobs.
 

ChooChoo31

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2021
Messages
19
Location
Moordown
As an Ex rail Vehicle Technician and Ex Rail Fitter I can say in my experience they are basically the same role. Fitters are expected to have some fabrication experience of such but with new stock thats not really a thing as most components are LRU's
 

Oleks1992

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2021
Messages
10
Location
UK
As an Ex rail Vehicle Technician and Ex Rail Fitter I can say in my experience they are basically the same role. Fitters are expected to have some fabrication experience of such but with new stock thats not really a thing as most components are LRU's
Thank you, I'd imagine they are very similar, unlike in motor trade a fitter just wouldn't be able to do a technicians job as there's diagnostic strategy involved. But thank you for clearning it up
 
Joined
7 Jan 2010
Messages
254
Really depends on what TOC it is but I would say that Technician is generally a more technical role. I‘ve been a fitter and also seconded as a Technician.
Do you have an NVQ3 in mech or elec as that is mostly a requirement.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Example of a Technician role

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thank you, I'd imagine they are very similar, unlike in motor trade a fitter just wouldn't be able to do a technicians job as there's diagnostic strategy involved. But thank you for clearning it up
It is very similar at a lot of railway companies. A standard entry would go in as Train Maintainer, Maintainer Engineer or Fitter or whatever they just to call them and they’ll do exam work and repairs.
The Technician would do the more in-depth fault finding.

That said, GWR are currently recruiting for Mult-Skilled Technicians which is for exam work A bit confusing really.
 
Last edited:

Oleks1992

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2021
Messages
10
Location
UK
Really depends on what TOC it is but I would say that Technician is generally a more technical role. I‘ve been a fitter and also seconded as a Technician.
Do you have an NVQ3 in mech or elec as that is mostly a requirement.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Example of a Technician role

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


It is very similar at a lot of railway companies. A standard entry would go in as Train Maintainer, Maintainer Engineer or Fitter or whatever they just to call them and they’ll do exam work and repairs.
The Technician would do the more in-depth fault finding.

That said, GWR are currently recruiting for Mult-Skilled Technicians which is for exam work A bit confusing really.
Yeah it is a bit confusing with all the job roles they're listing. However I do have NVQ 3 in vehicle repair and maintenance which already includes mechanical and electrical discipline
 
Joined
7 Jan 2010
Messages
254
I’d recommend working for a TOC rather than a train manufacturer so keep an eye on the First Group careers page or also TFL as recommended. I’d personally avoid working for the likes of Hitachi, Siemens or Bombardier. A job with a TOC will include final salary pension and generally better conditions.
 

Oleks1992

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2021
Messages
10
Location
UK
I’d recommend working for a TOC rather than a train manufacturer so keep an eye on the First Group careers page or also TFL as recommended. I’d personally avoid working for the likes of Hitachi, Siemens or Bombardier. A job with a TOC will include final salary pension and generally better conditions.
Thank you for the advice
 
Joined
9 Jun 2018
Messages
44
At my place of work there are people from all backgrounds. As long as you have an ability with the tools then you could join the maintenance team. Over time you could progress into more technical roles.

If you have particularly strong electrical and fault finding skills you may even be able to join at an intermediate level.

Typically you'll be looking at shift work, but some places operate permanent nights/days.
 

wobman

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
1,233
It all depends were you live, tfw are looking for mobile technicians across their network.
 

wobman

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2011
Messages
1,233
Caf will be recruiting at Chester depot in the future once the 197s come on stream, they will be on either the comeaboard.co.uk or tfw rail recruitment pages
 

Oleks1992

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2021
Messages
10
Location
UK
Thanks for all the replies. I've looked into it more and got a job on 12 month contract successfully as mb2 train maintainer for SWR. So hopefully this will earn me enough experience to keep progressing. Thank you for all the advice
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
Thanks for all the replies. I've looked into it more and got a job on 12 month contract successfully as mb2 train maintainer for SWR. So hopefully this will earn me enough experience to keep progressing. Thank you for all the advice

Congratulations! Certainly a good role with options for progression. Where are you based?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top