• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changes in XC ticketing structure for certain routes if travelling before 0930

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Zod

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2008
Messages
590
Gents,
Perhaps I may be being ignorant but have XC disallowed the use of SVR on certain routes before 0930 or has this always been the case ? For example, I can buy a High Wycombe - Newcastle Off Peak Return (SVR) - Route Banbury dep HWY before 0930 for £108.80, however, if I want to travel to Leeds ( route Banbury), which is considerably closer , pre 0930 I am only allowed to purchase an Anytime Return which costs £151 !!! Perhaps someone could correct me but I do recall that last year I could buy SVRs to all destinations north of BHM if travelling route Banbury and I would have been permitted to travel before 0930 on these "route Banbury" SVRs.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

t0ffeeman

Member
Joined
11 Jul 2008
Messages
297
Yeah, they've now got different restriction codes. A Leeds SVR is now not valid till 0930, whilst Newcastle is valid at 0500. Best ticket for Leeds is a Darlington SVR at £97 I'm afraid. York has the same code as Leeds
 

furryfeet

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2008
Messages
449
but buy a single from Burley Park to Leeds at the same time, so that you get out of the barriers at Leeds without being surcharged for "travelling short" as was the well documented case at Eastleight recently.

So, can anyone summarise what the latest batch of dirty tricks is that ArrivaXC has imposed on us in the latest (Sep 2010 ?) round of fares increases ?
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Does the restriction code of the Brum-Darlo saver allow break of journey on both legs? If so, then it is perfectly legitmate to break your journey at Leeds without buying any further ticket.
If not, then I would consider buying this along with a Burley Park-Leeds ticket to be premeditated fare evasion, which some of Northern's blocks will pick up (see the East Didsbury-Manchester case a few months back). Note that I am in no way legally trained, this is only my opinion.
 

General Zod

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2008
Messages
590
Clagmonster,
I think BoJ may be allowed on the outward portion of a HWY-DAR Off Peak Return (SVR) but only if you cannot complete the journey in one day, whereupon you have to resume the journey before 1200 next day. They may not let me BoJ at say 1300 hrs arguing the fact that there are plenty of trains remaining in the day to complete my journey and hence no need for an overnight stay / BOJ. My knowledge on the subject is quite sketchy so perhaps someone could add further comments.
 

PhilipW

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2008
Messages
761
Location
Fareham, Hants
Yet more complications which I am sure the general public are totally unaware of. If we don't understand them here, the general public certainly won't.

What a complete farce our fares system is.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Does the restriction code of the Brum-Darlo saver allow break of journey on both legs? If so, then it is perfectly legitmate to break your journey at Leeds without buying any further ticket.
If not, then I would consider buying this along with a Burley Park-Leeds ticket to be premeditated fare evasion, which some of Northern's blocks will pick up (see the East Didsbury-Manchester case a few months back). Note that I am in no way legally trained, this is only my opinion.

According to NFM07, BoJ is permitted on a Brum-Darlo SVR.
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
........
Perhaps someone could correct me but I do recall that last year I could buy SVRs to all destinations north of BHM if travelling route Banbury and I would have been permitted to travel before 0930 on these "route Banbury" SVRs.

No the restriction code 2V (restricting to after 0930) has been the code for a High Wycombe - Leeds SVR since at least May 2008. (the earliest NFM I have)

Peter
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top